New Carrara Animation

PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

If you have the time, please have a look at my latest Carrara animation and let me know what you think!
http://youtu.be/61wxc6X_hRY

Thanks!

Comments

• jcrabbjcrabb Posts: 29
    edited December 1969

A real solid piece...love the lighting. The spinning shafts of light are magical. The light and camera angle when the chest is opened is quite dramatic. Nice to see the forums working again.

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited May 2012

PhilW said:
    If you have the time, please have a look at my latest Carrara animation and let me know what you think!

Thanks!

I liked the replicated worshipers. I wonder if there would be any way to randomize their motion slightly.

The render was a little too dark on my screen, but I liked the lighting effects of the rising orb.

Post edited by de3an on
  • namretteknamrettek Posts: 168
    edited December 1969

Fantastic job! I was really impressed. I'm actually thinking about finally doing a few animations in Carrara. Good thing I have your tutorials to get me started.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Hi Phil W :)

Nice animation and lighting.

if you have a couple of figures replicated, and use an NLA clip, then you can adjust the timing in the NLA parameters for each clip, ..
    so you could have the clip speed set to 1.00 , on one figure , and set the speed to 0.75 on another figures clip, to make it a little bit slower.

if you have more figures in the replicator, each one using the same clip but at a slightly different speed, that will give you greater variation.
    or you can use the same NLA clip many times in the track at different speeds, instead of just looping it. so some clips could play slightly slower or faster than normal speed.

Hope it helps :)

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    Hi Phil W :)

Nice animation and lighting.

if you have a couple of figures replicated, and use an NLA clip, then you can adjust the timing in the NLA parameters for each clip, ..
    so you could have the clip speed set to 1.00 , on one figure , and set the speed to 0.75 on another figures clip, to make it a little bit slower.

if you have more figures in the replicator, each one using the same clip but at a slightly different speed, that will give you greater variation.
    or you can use the same NLA clip many times in the track at different speeds, instead of just looping it. so some clips could play slightly slower or faster than normal speed.

Hope it helps :)

Thanks 3dage - I always welcome your ideas! There are already four replicators, each with figures with time-shifted NLA clips applied to get the "wave" effect out from the centre. I fear that if I complicated it even more then my humble PC would blow up. I'm going to have to upgrade!

• 3dView3dView Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Phil..
    Very Nicely done indeed. Nice music, lighting and animation. Created nice scene imagery and visual appealing. Nice Job!.

Rich

• djmulcahydjmulcahy Posts: 42
    edited December 1969

Awesome.
    Agree with everyone's assessment of the lighting--super impressive.
    The moment where the camera came through the leaves and showed the motion of the bowing natives I literally said, "Whoa..."

• daz3d_9ff14f0c17daz3d_9ff14f0c17 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Fantastic animation, one of the best Carrara animations I have seen.
    -Ingvar

edited December 1969

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments. I hoped it would show some of Carrara's features off to good advantage.

• JerifeJerife Posts: 272
    edited December 1969

Hi Phil, Hi 3DAge, long time no see :-)

Great movie Phil and excellent music too.

• MoviehawkMoviehawk Posts: 67
    edited December 1969

Great work!!!!

BTW ... do you have any dynamic hair products in the works for Genesis. (Hope somebody is working on a way to convert V4 dynamic hair props to Genesis).

edited December 1969

Moviehawk said:
    Great work!!!!

BTW ... do you have any dynamic hair products in the works for Genesis. (Hope somebody is working on a way to convert V4 dynamic hair props to Genesis).

I can't think of a way to convert V4/M4 Carrara dynamic hair to work with Genesis as the base mesh is different.

I have a couple of styles that I have used with Genesis figures in my own renders - I may well look at developing these for commercial release for when the latest Beta becomes an actual release version.

• 3DLust3DLust Posts: 230
    edited December 1969

Great work Phil! :-)

• chris poolechris poole Posts: 124
    edited December 1969

Short, sweet and lots of subservient females who know their place, ah! those were the days. Just kidding everyone' my wife very rarely obeys my superior intellect.

• edited December 1969

How did you get the variations in the keyframes for the Movements in the replicated figures?

edited December 1969

How did you get the variations in the keyframes for the Movements in the replicated figures?

I saved the basic "worship" motion as an NLA clip, and looped it to the desired length. I then duplicated the figure three times (so there were four figures) and shifted the NLA clip along the timeline so that there was a ripple effect. There are then four separate replicators using the disk type to get each circle of worshippers, each containing one of the duplicated figures.

The actual rendering starts at 1 sec rather than 0 sec to allow for all the motions to start.

I hope this helps!

• VengedVenged Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:

Thanks!

I enjoyed your animation. I think is very good.

Robert

edited December 1969

Thank you, Robert, I'm pleased you enjoyed it!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 14,997

This is a great video, @PhilW.  An oldie but a goodie, as we say.

Question - when it says that the sound is from various Ipad apps, where would you suggest I turn to find music for a short animation I am putting together?  

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

are you putting it on youtube?  they offer audio lib  https://www.youtube.com/user/AudioLibraryEN/playlists

Mistara said:

are you putting it on youtube?  they offer audio lib  https://www.youtube.com/user/AudioLibraryEN/playlists

Thanks!  That will do for now.enlightened

Thanks for reminding me of that one! I am also into music as well as 3D graphics so I tend to write and record my own if I need some background music, but the YouTube route above is a good one, I know that Wendy uses that (and she does her own stull too).

• Most of what I can see in the Youtube library is from Kevin Mc Leod. He is very good. You can also see his website incompatech.com

Thanks, PhilW and Philemo and Misty

• 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626

Excellent !  Love playing around with lighting myself so really appreciated YOUR lighting effects . Really nicely done - I liked how light rising within the tower continued the sphere's movement when it was out of site so we werent guessing how it got to the top. 

I did think the replicated ladies looked a bit mechanical and I wondered if you used the Replica Plugin ? [ from Inagoni ] It has a lot more control over how objects are positioned - 

Thanks for the kind comments. The replicated ladies started with just one which was animated. I then produced two copies which had the animation progressively delayed a little, so that the second and third rows were slightly behind the first, giving that ripple effect to the animation. I then used Carrara's Replicator with a circular shape to create each complete row from the one figure. Yes it could ideally do with some more randomisation, but I think it still looks pretty impressive as it is - I know that it got a "wow" react from quite a few people seeing it for the first time.

Incidentally, it was inspired by a scene in Avatar where the Nav'ii all gather round and start praying and chanting and I thought "Hey maybe I could do something like that in Carrara!".

• GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,104

That is awesome, Phil!   Cool lighting effects!

• 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626

quote Phil  - but I think it still looks pretty impressive as it is  

YES IT IS !