Can someone please explain to me....

ChristenChristen Posts: 240
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Can someone please explain to me why props are made exclusively for DS? I understand why Genesis won't work as is in Poser and why it's supposed to be a lot of work to make Poser versions of Genesis clothing, but what about props? Why is it so difficult to make a Poser version of them too, or to just make a version that works in both programs like before?

Comments

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

you mean stand alone sets or included wtih Genesis stuff?

• ChristenChristen Posts: 240
    edited December 1969

Standalone.

edited December 1969

I am going to link to the latest product to hopefully make it simpler for someone to answer my question. This thread is not meant to be disrespectful to the vendor or stir up any drama. I just want to understand why props would be made DS specific. If it's easier, faster, etc.

http://www.daz3d.com/sleeping-cutie-bedroom-furniture

• araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited June 2013

Obtaining Poser -- or any new program -- and the skills to use it (creating materials fit for sale is not a trivial task) requires an investment some people don't want to make.

Post edited by araneldon on
  • Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited June 2013

Faerydae said:
    Can someone please explain to me why props are made exclusively for DS? I understand why Genesis won't work as is in Poser and why it's supposed to be a lot of work to make Poser versions of Genesis clothing, but what about props? Why is it so difficult to make a Poser version of them too, or to just make a version that works in both programs like before?

Perhaps they don't have Poser. It's a huge assumption that a person making an item knows how to convert it in Poser or knows how to actually use Poser, much less they've actually bought the program. If the person only knows DS, I can't really knock them for not making a Poser version, much like when someone asks for DS materials for a Poser made item (or if it actually works in DS) and the vendor responds "I don't use DS".

However, you can load props and scenes using the DSON loader, and works a lot faster than Genesis would. You'll just have to adjust materials before you render. Once over you can save the scene as a PZ3.

Post edited by Male-M3dia on
  • icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Any prop in particular?

I don't generally use DS so I'm not sure if it saves props in pp2 format natively. There used to be a Poser format exporter for earlier versions of DS but I don't know if it was ever incorporated into the DS4 Pro version or updated for it.

Some vendors may not have Poser or even have much familiarity with Poser formats. Some may have been created before the DSON and duf and have never been updated from the dsf files.

In the end, I suppose you would have to ask the vendor. I do know some PC props that were originally released with duf files only to have the pp2 files when it was brought up.

If it's a DAZ Original, you might want to contact DAZ. If it's a PA item, you would need to contact the vendor.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited June 2013

Whether it is a PA item or a Daz Original. the correct way to post a query about it is to contact DAZ 3D through the Zendesk system. It is there for queries on all products sold in the DAZ 3D store, not merely Daz Originals.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

I thought props by default were the same file format whether you were in DS or Poser. I can't use DS so I wasn't sure. I figured the vendor wouldn't need Poser if they were in the same format. Thanks for the answers. I do understand better now.

It really wasn't a gripe as much as me just being confused.

Cho - I didn't bother with the help desk since I didn't really need product support. I just had a general question that I figured forum members could answer.

Male-M3dia - even without the Poser companion files it will load through the DSON importer?

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

Faerydae said:
    Male-M3dia - even without the Poser companion files it will load through the DSON importer?

You would have to load the scene in DS then save a scene subset. It's a quick 2 minute process to load and save. Mec4D or Dimension3D had a script that could access the files without it, but I haven't tried either.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,510
    edited June 2013

Faerydae said:
    I thought props by default were the same file format whether you were in DS or Poser. I can't use DS so I wasn't sure.

If a prop is saved in the .pp2 format, it will. If it is saved as a .duf, it's DS/DSON only. The reason can be many, but my first thought is materials. If the items uses shader materials and not textures it can be a pain to convert. I've done toe opposite many times for "Poser Only" stuff from Rendo, it'äs very hard to get the same look and feel.

Post edited by Totte on
  • SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

Totte said:
    Faerydae said:
    I thought props by default were the same file format whether you were in DS or Poser. I can't use DS so I wasn't sure.

If a prop is saved in the .pp2 format, it will. If it is saved as a .duf, it's DS/DSON only. The reason can be many, but my first thought is materials. If the items uses shader materials and not textures it can be a pain to convert. I've done toe opposite many times for "Poser Only" stuff from Rendo, it'äs very hard to get the same look and feel.

I quit supporting DSON partly because of advanced shaders. I can only really do these in DS, and trying to recreate them in Poser would be more work than is worth it. Further, I would also have to do Poser promos, and I really don't care for rendering in that program. There's also the rigging issues, of course; I make a lot of ERC rigged props now and I don't think they can even BE converted with their pose controls intact.

edited December 1969

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I bought the product I was talking about, downloaded and installed DS 4.6, finally figured out where to find the purchased product in DS, loaded it, and hit render. It actually worked! I've attempted to use DS at least a dozen times all the way back to the first release, and it has always crashed at render (if I was even able to get it that far). I don't know how/if Genesis will work for me, but this prop set at least is working.