How to Speed Up Rendering?

SuperdogSuperdog Posts: 765
edited March 2013 in New Users

I'm trying to render parts of the scene 'Earthquake' as an animation where the camera moves through the scene but it takes ages to render. I only need parts of the scene so should I delete anything I don't need in the scene or can I just switch off/mute these buildings/props/lights etc to make the scene render faster? Does switching off/muting parts of a scene have the same effect as deleting? Do I delete or switch off/mute for faster renders?

http://www.daz3d.com/earthquake

Post edited by Superdog on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,233
    edited December 1969

Yes, hiding an item will removed it from the renderer's attention as deleting it will.

• SuperdogSuperdog Posts: 765
    edited December 1969

Ok, thanks I'll do that then.

• digitalcraftdigitalcraft Posts: 57
    edited December 1969

Yes, hiding an item will removed it from the renderer's attention as deleting it will.

Even if we hide objects, DAZ takes a lot of time to render.

I thought when DAZ 4.6 advertised a "New Render Engine", it would change. But it has not. It was just a new update of the same 3Delight engine.

Is DAZ thinking of any solution to improve the rendering speed by 5X ?

Even after one year, after buying many Toon Shaders and other stuff, I am yet to deliver a project to my client

I always end up taking DAZ characters to ICLONE and do the final animation and rendering there !

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,542
    edited December 1969

Earthquake uses as far as I know a lot of complex lighting and alpha mask transparency smoke and dust. That will take a long time to render.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

I thought when DAZ 4.6 advertised a "New Render Engine", it would change. But it has not. It was just a new update of the same 3Delight engine.

Even after one year, after buying many Toon Shaders and other stuff, I am yet to deliver a project to my client

I always end up taking DAZ characters to ICLONE and do the final animation and rendering there !
    Different render engines have different strengths. 3Delight is a Renderman compliant engine, so it's really designed for high quality output, Renderman being the same computing giant behind most if not all Pixar movies. iClone's render engine on the other hand is designed more for speed, and takes a lot of shortcuts, including the lack of a raytrace engine. iClone was always designed with animation in mind, which is one of the reasons it takes so many shortcuts and drops in quality. It's not terrible by any means and may be ideal if animation is your goal, but the shaders possible in 3Delight blow anything iClone can manage out of the water.

Long story short, if you want quality then 3DL will work wonders with the right settings. If you want speed, then I recommend either Octane or sticking with iClone.

• digitalcraftdigitalcraft Posts: 57
    edited June 2013

Different render engines have different strengths. 3Delight is a Renderman compliant engine, so it's really designed for high quality output, Renderman being the same computing giant behind most if not all Pixar movies. iClone's render engine on the other hand is designed more for speed, and takes a lot of shortcuts, including the lack of a raytrace engine. iClone was always designed with animation in mind, which is one of the reasons it takes so many shortcuts and drops in quality. It's not terrible by any means and may be ideal if animation is your goal, but the shaders possible in 3Delight blow anything iClone can manage out of the water.

Long story short, if you want quality then 3DL will work wonders with the right settings. If you want speed, then I recommend either Octane or sticking with iClone.

For my Cartoon episodes, I thought DAZ would be great with Customizable characters, Costumes, Shaders, Motions.
    I love DAZ characters, Costumes, Motions, Accessories, Shaders.

Just because of the Rendering Speed of DAZ I could never deliver a single project in DAZ in last one year. Since I use Toon Shaders, I can not use Octane, as all Toon Shaders are for 3Delight. I love 3Delight rendering in DAZ. But what's the point if I can not deliver the project in tight schedule. Daz can NOT scale up with network rendering as it uses FREE version of single Core restricted Rendering engine.

I am forced to think of ICLONE as the final delivery engine. ICLONE rendering quality is not that bad in Toon Shade mode. But I always wonder how much better it could be with my PWToon and Visual shader in DAZ !

I wish DAZ could give us ( lesser mortals ) an alternative rendering system with a "FOCUS ON THE RENDERING SPEED WITH MODERATE QUALITY !" Ofcourse support must be there for different Toon Shaders.

Then DAZ would rule in the TELEVISION CARTOON SERIAL PRODUCTION MARKET !

What about so many Game Engine / Real Time Rendering Engine floating around ? Can't we have any interface with DAZ Toon Shader ?

Post edited by digitalcraft on
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,542
    edited December 1969

Did you look at the "Render to RIB" option and using farm of cmdline based 3Delight render engines?
    But I agree - a farm option would be great.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

For my Cartoon episodes, I thought DAZ would be great with Customizable characters, Costumes, Shaders, Motions.
    I love DAZ characters, Costumes, Motions, Accessories, Shaders.

Just because of the Rendering Speed of DAZ I could never deliver a single project in DAZ in last one year. Since I use Toon Shaders, I can not use Octane, as all Toon Shaders are for 3Delight. I love 3Delight rendering in DAZ. But what's the point if I can not deliver the project in tight schedule. Daz can NOT scale up with network rendering as it uses FREE version of single Core restricted Rendering engine.

I am forced to think of ICLONE as the final delivery engine. ICLONE rendering quality is not that bad in Toon Shade mode. But I always wonder how much better it could be with my PWToon and Visual shader in DAZ !

I wish DAZ could give us ( lesser mortals ) an alternative rendering system with "FOCUS ON RENDERING SPEED WITH MODERATE QUALITY !" Ofcourse support must be there for different Toon Shaders.

Then DAZ would rule in the TELEVISION CARTOON SERIAL PRODUCTION MARKET !

It really depends on your settings, and the scene complexity. For my part, I can render toons pretty quickly (Core i7, 16Gb RAM) since they're one of the less processor intensive methods. However, that said I don't used the toon shader mode built into 3DL, I used shaders designed for toons on the individual surfaces and use the standard renderer.

Details on how you set up a scene and what you'd consider 'fair' for a single frame are key to figuring out the best way for you to render using 3DL. There are a lot of settings you can optimize to get the best out of your machine.