What's the best possible Windows set up for Daz ?

2»

Comments

• MarcuseMarcuse Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    HI Marcuse :)

No problem. :)

You probably want to ask him for something like....

Windows 7 64bit ..which will need
    a 64-bit processor
    Anywhere between 8 and 16 GB of Ram (whatever your budget runs to) ..but 60GB would probably be overkill at this point
    a 1TB Hard drive.
    a Graphics card with 1GB of ram ..(or more)

That should do you for a few years. :)

Great thank you ! A light at the end of the tunnel :-) I've got to ring him today anyway so chance to act all nonchalant when I rattle it all off ! Are you in the UK too ?

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

I'm in Scotland . :)

...But I'm going to be out most of today.

edited December 1969

Good to meet you I'm in N. Devon :-)

Thanks again !

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Nice to meet you too.

I used to work in a place called Okehampton :)
    and I lived in a little village at the foot of Dartmoor called Sticklepath .
    Nice countryside.. a bit like Scotland,.. but less rain.

By The way,.. 1 TB is (one Terra-byte) and 1GB is one Giga-byte.
    just so you say it right :)

a Terra-byte is one thousand gigabytes (roughly)
    a Giga-byte is one thousand Megabytes (roughly)

edited June 2012

Thanks. Small world too I know Okehampton very well on the way to and from Cornwall - the old arcade with especially the old bookshop whilst shopping at Somerfields, and I've often seen the signpost to Sticklepath on the outskirts of Tavistock but although never been there heard it's still very rural. Otherwise mainly Aviemore on the odd ski trip though the horizontal ice flakes got a bit wearing :-)

Post edited by Marcuse on
  • prixatprixat Posts: 1,585
    edited December 1969

prixat said:
    Hi Marcuse

I'm running win7 with 8GB and the cheapest 6 core I could find.

It can just about manage 101 Genesii (?) :cheese:

I'm in the market for a new board and chip, current one only supports 4GB Ram, what did you go with please?

Jaderail's warning about the unexpected costs of upgrading is very true.

I would not recommend you do what I did.

I decided to keep my motherboard and upgrade the CPU, memory and graphics card.
    I also went from windows XP 32bit to wIndows 7 64bit.

Its one of the cheapest Gigabyte AM2+ motherboards that take the old AMD 6 core chips (1055t).

I've ended up with a machine no faster than the first i7. (which is no slouch and a huge step up from where I started)

...but, the suitable memory is now very expensive, I could have got twice the memory for half the price for a modern board!
    The new graphics card and increased memory demanded a bigger power supply!
    The case needed extra cooling. The motherboard is too old (and cheap) to have modern overclocking abilities)

For just a little more money I could have got an off the shelf i5 system with all these things included.

I'd hate to think what it would have cost If I didn't already have the power supply, windows 7, hard drives, a choice of cases and assorted bits lying around.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,437
    edited December 1969

My new custom built PC was very pricy and required liquid cooling. But, this system should last me several years without having to upgrade.

• j.zwaneveld5j.zwaneveld5 Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

I have read this topic with interest, I am a noob and just downloaded Daz Studio, I have a laptop, so expect things to be a bit slow.
    I have Windows 7, the C and D drive have both 4 gigabite, I was shocked by the ammount the download was, but the C drive can handle it, enough space, but my D drive is about 3/5 occupied , with analizing and reparing programs, my program can handle 64 and I have an intel pentium core, Honestly it doens't mean much to me, because I don't know nothing about computers, and I was overwhelmed by the techno babble, No offence intended, My question is, is it better to instal the 32 , or the 64, download to start with.

Joke ( yes that is really my name, it is a dutch name)

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585
    edited December 1969

...My question is, is it better to instal the 32 , or the 64, download to start with.

Joke ( yes that is really my name, it is a dutch name)

If you have the 64bit version of Windows 7 then the 64bit version of Studio is the best choice.

• cjreynoldscjreynolds Posts: 155
    edited December 1969

prixat said:
    prixat said:
    Hi Marcuse

I'm running win7 with 8GB and the cheapest 6 core I could find.

It can just about manage 101 Genesii (?) :cheese:

I'm in the market for a new board and chip, current one only supports 4GB Ram, what did you go with please?

Jaderail's warning about the unexpected costs of upgrading is very true.

I would not recommend you do what I did.

I decided to keep my motherboard and upgrade the CPU, memory and graphics card.
    I also went from windows XP 32bit to wIndows 7 64bit.

Its one of the cheapest Gigabyte AM2+ motherboards that take the old AMD 6 core chips (1055t).

I've ended up with a machine no faster than the first i7. (which is no slouch and a huge step up from where I started)

...but, the suitable memory is now very expensive, I could have got twice the memory for half the price for a modern board!
    The new graphics card and increased memory demanded a bigger power supply!
    The case needed extra cooling. The motherboard is too old (and cheap) to have modern overclocking abilities)

For just a little more money I could have got an off the shelf i5 system with all these things included.

I'd hate to think what it would have cost If I didn't already have the power supply, windows 7, hard drives, a choice of cases and assorted bits lying around.

Man, that's the story of my life! EVERY time I try to upgrade the smallest detail of my system, the part I want won't work with the stuff I have, I need to upgrade another part of my system to accommodate the first upgrade... Then I find out that the third upgrade (which was necessary in order to do the second upgrade), is impossible on my current system without replacing the motherboard!!

This happens regardless of what system I own. I've been building and fixing PCs for over 30 years and I pull my hair out every time I try to upgrade my PC! I don't know how people who are technically challenged could possibly wade through all the crap!

If you are not technically competent to work on your own computer, REJOICE! Let a computer geek do it, and save your hair!

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,070
    edited December 1969

Man, that's the story of my life! EVERY time I try to upgrade the smallest detail of my system, the part I want won't work with the stuff I have, I need to upgrade another part of my system to accommodate the first upgrade... Then I find out that the third upgrade (which was necessary in order to do the second upgrade), is impossible on my current system without replacing the motherboard!!

This happens regardless of what system I own. I've been building and fixing PCs for over 30 years and I pull my hair out every time I try to upgrade my PC! I don't know how people who are technically challenged could possibly wade through all the crap!

If you are not technically competent to work on your own computer, REJOICE! Let a computer geek do it, and save your hair!

I R a computer geek, and I've built 3 (4?) white-box systems for myself over the years. And my last 4 systems have been off-the-shelf Dell systems - specified the way I wanted, with a year of service warranty - ordered through my employer at the time. We were a Dell shop and qualified for about a 34% discount off the normal Dell price. If you are not trying to squeeze every possible cycle out of the CPU and the graphics card there's no real point in building your own anymore.