Exporting animated character - which way reduces file size? Scene.. bvh.. DSF character file..?

3dsamm3dsamm Posts: 63
edited December 1969 in Art Studio

Hi! I need to duplicate my animated character, complete with this animation, hair, clothes etc and bring several of these characters into a new scene that has furniture and other props.

Which way of saving the animated character is the smallest file size?

I'm currently saving the scene with just the character in it and then merging it into the new scene but wondering if this increases file size and if other ways are more optimum?

Thanks!

:-P

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

What application are you using?

• 3dsamm3dsamm Posts: 63
    edited December 1969

Hi! DS4 pro.. for now I am bringing each character merged into the scene.. file size is huge! Each scene with just the genesis and no texture is 2.5mb, with texture (hair and clothes) si 4.5mb.. so several of these guys is chunking it up!

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

save as DUF for smallest file size .

• 3dsamm3dsamm Posts: 63
    edited December 1969

bigh said:

thanks bigh, ive been looking into it since you mention it and found a current thread

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/1900/P75/#30384

but it seems there are problems, what is best for now til those querks are ironed out?

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

3dsamm said:
    bigh said:

thanks bigh, ive been looking into it since you mention it and found a current thread

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/1900/P75/#30384

but it seems there are problems, what is best for now til those querks are ironed out?

I use it - you do what works for you .

• edited June 2012

Well, I can suggest saving the character as a character preset, and then the animation as a pose preset. Then you can drop both in whenever you need them in a scene. I have no clue of their sizes, but that's how I do it.

Post edited by omedhue_196e22b81c on
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

You could also think about using "Compositing" to add several different renders of the same figure in different positions, animated performing different actions, and rendered out as image sequences with Alpha channel, ..then combining those "takes" in a Video editing application, where you can also add a Background.

If you want to have characters looking at each other, then you can use "Null" objects as target position helpers.

Then you only have one Figure, but several different scene files.