Where are the .exe installers for Mean Streets for Genesis Male?

kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593

...OK picked up Mean Streets, however when I pull it up in my product Library all I see is one .exe installer for the Poser CF file (6.15MB) and then two DIM installers (both over 200MB), one I imagine for the .trx and the other for the Poser .dcp version.

Isn't there supposed to also be both an.exe and .zip installer for the .trx version since it is a fairly new release?

For Genesis stuff I still use the .exe installers as I am not certain where everything goes so I don't get one of those "cannot find..." errors when loading the content.

Post edited by kyoto kid on

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,416
    edited December 1969

The DIM installer are .zip. You have to specify the location if your not using DIM to download. They are doing away with the .exe format.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593
    edited December 1969

...I thought that was being done from the older content forward not with any of the new content yet. I have no idea if there are any components that need to go into some odd place due to how Genesis installs. With the old runtime structure at least things were nice and straightforward.

Can't use the DIM on the workstation as it has no net connection.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

The DIM zips for DS/Poser content are all structured the same way, you want to put everything UNDERNEATH Content in the zip directly underneath whatever your content folder is called. If you aren't sure use DIM to install it.

edited December 1969

DIM CAN be used with no internet connection. Just click the Work Offline box when you start it up.

Genesis content is just like any other DS/Poser content, the Data and Runtime folders need to be DIRECTLY under your content folder as listed in DS or Poser. Products that need to be installed differently (plugins, Bryce and Carrara content, Photoshop brushes, etc.) will not have Content as the name of the top-level folder.

edited December 1969

...but how would I transfer the installer into the database of the DIM on the workstation? The way I see it is that unless the utility is used for the actual download process, it will have nothing in its DB to install. This is what I ran into when I thought I could use to help speed up installation of content from my archives onto the workstation when I was initially setting everything up.

edited December 1969

Download with DIM on the machine that has the connection, or download the DIM zips from the Product Library on that machine. We're talking about something you just bought, and haven't downloaded yet, so it isn't in your archive yet. Install DIM on the non-networked machine, set the download and install locations to use, and there you go. You don't have to download with that machine, whether you use DIM or not.

• edited December 1969

Silly question. Is Daz going to eventually require the DIM for all installers? I have held off installing it because I prefer to keep my install exe and zip files saved to an external hd as backup in case of a drive failure, and it is a huge pain to have to re-download everything. I also tend to have my content and runtime directories organized differently, in a way that lets me find things.

edited December 1969

Seliah said:
    Silly question. Is Daz going to eventually require the DIM for all installers? I have held off installing it because I prefer to keep my install exe and zip files saved to an external hd as backup in case of a drive failure, and it is a huge pain to have to re-download everything. I also tend to have my content and runtime directories organized differently, in a way that lets me find things.

DIM will not be required. However, the individual installers for products are being phased out, so eventually everything will be in zips. Therefore, IF you don't want to manually install the zips, you will need to use DIM.

You don't HAVE to redownload everything -- you can just use DIM for new items, or you can gradually download older items. Since you don't need to babysit it, you can select a bunch of products to download overnight.

I'm downloading everything because (a) I have a reasonably fast, reliable connection with no bandwidth caps, (b) I'm rather anal-retentive about making sure I haven't missed any product updates, and (c) I lost all my backups in Hurricane Sandy.

BTW, if you want to reorganize your content folders, you can use DIM to install to a dummy location the same way you would an installer, then reorganize and move to your real content folders. DIM can still check for updates even if the files are no longer where DIM installed them.

edited December 1969

...something is still not right, When I extracted the .PoserCF Zip all that was there were Mac files (the installer name did not have "Mac"). Where are the Windows .trx and .dpc zip files?

I'm considering returning this as I don't use the DIM and the only other two files are marked DIM, one that is labelled Poser CF which is a whopping 428 MB (that's almost as large as the installer for Vue Frontier) and the other which is 205 MB.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...something is still not right, When I extracted the .PoserCF Zip all that was there were Mac files (the installer name did not have "Mac"). Where are the Windows .trx and .dpc zip files?

I'm considering returning this as I don't use the DIM and the only other two files are marked DIM, one that is labelled Poser CF which is a whopping 428 MB (that's almost as large as the installer for Vue Frontier) and the other which is 205 MB.

If you want a zip download the DIM version -- they are just zips. Whenever you see two files with the same name, one .exe and one .zip, the .zip is the Mac installer.

edited December 1969

The PoserCF is 428 KB, not MB

edited December 1969

...saw that.

Haven't been able to get a DL of the main DIM installer for the last several days because it is so large. Getting DL times between 2 - 4 hours even at the hotspot I go to. Were this a regular .exe it could have been split up into several parts which would be a little easier on the bandwidth.

It's times like this I wish they still had the Burn to CD option available as I don't have access to a high speed cable/fibre optic link.

What also still makes me feel this was poorly organised is that there are both an .exe and DIM installer provided for the PoserCF component but only the DIM one for the Daz/.trx file.