Poser-9 Libraries Loading Slowly or Not At All

edited December 1969 in Poser Discussion

Hi folks!

Poser9 literally just started playing up last night.Can I ask if anyone else has had this problem before?

I open Poser, the default character works as normal, the program renders at it's usual speed, I can click and drag body parts and play with the dials, but when I open and try to switch between the libraries folders, it won't select another libraries folder or sub-folder.

However, if I change between the Materials/Face/Cloth Room tabs then back to the main tab, the libraries appear to load instantly.

But I still need to select the heading folder that I want,

flick between the materials and main tab,

scroll down through the libraries to find the sub-folder I want,

flick between the materials and main tab to open it

then flick between the materials and main tab to actually load a figure/prop/hair/pose.

Oddly, if I select a folder and *don't* flick between tabs, I can potter about in the main window, render, play with settings, but the libraries won't change *until* I change between the tabs. An absolute pain, as you can no doubt imagine!

The only real change I've made was installing the Ball-Joint Doll yesterday afternoon, and Poser was running fine even after that.
Since then, I have deleted all content installed int he last three days but Poser is still doing this.
Has anyone else experienced this before, and is there a solution to the problem??

Update:

I have now completely uninstalled Poser9 from my system and re-installed from scratch. The problem is still occurring.
Oddly, when I start P9 up, it still remembers my old UI dots. Any reason for that? Perhaps it's caused by temp files stored somewhere which I was unaware of? Would removing these hidden/temp files help in any way?

Thanks!

- Alastair

Comments

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

If you are aiming for a "fresh" install, you need to locate the app data folder for Poser and delete the stored information there. Especially the Poser.ini file located there.

While it is less and less common now, Poser versions 6 and 7 were notorious for corruption of the Poser.ini file. If you started getting wonky behavior, deleting the Poser.ini file was one of the first things you were told to do.

Either way, the prefs, and Poser.ini file in the app data folder are not always overwritten during a re-installation. Which is why you're seeing your old UI dots. Since you're still seeing the save slow down, make sure Poser is closed, find the app data folder and delete the Poser.ini file. Then launch Poser, it will rewrite the ini file on launch and should put you back to factory defaults.

Are you using the Flash or Air version of library? Do you allow them to auto-update?

• edited December 1969

Hi!

Thanks for getting back so quickly. :)

I have updated both Adobe Air AND the latest version of Flash this afternoon. P9 is still doing exactly the same thing, even after updating both of these and deleting the AppData Poser.ini files...

Sorry... :(

- Alastair

• edited December 1969

Can anyone else offer any suggestions for this, please? Anyone? :)

• mackis3Dmackis3D Posts: 44
    edited December 1969

I really don't get it. If your library loads instantly then why do you uninstall the content? It has nothing to do with the app. You see them in the library and you can open them from the library but aside from this it affects in no way your Poser installation.

It also makes no sense to uninstall everything. The library is the problem and because it is dependent on Adobe/ Air this is where the problem is. But I have no solution for your problem. My library in Poser Pro 2012 often crashes with "unknown exception" error messages when it should open at the start - since two weeks! And it loads everything rather slowly. They never should have used a library that is dependent on Flash or Air.

• edited December 1969

mackis3D said:
    I really don't get it. If your library loads instantly then why do you uninstall the content? It has nothing to do with the app. You see them in the library and you can open them from the library but aside from this it affects in no way your Poser installation.

I agreee with you 100%. :) If I try to open the library, and I flick between tabs, I can see it and know the content is there.
    I only uninstalled to appease the Tech Support at Smith Micro because they told me I had installed everything in the wrong folder and didn't seem to want to continue helping me until I reinstalled exactly as they suggested.
    Since Poser3 upwards, I have always used the "C:\Poser\Runtime\Libraries" and it has worked PERFECTLY through every upgrade, right through to, and including, Poser 9. Until Friday afternoon. Six months to the very day when I bought Poser9... It hasn't made a single difference which of the four install options I chose when I first installed 6 months back. it has worked perfectly until now.

It also makes no sense to uninstall everything. The library is the problem and because it is dependent on Adobe/ Air this is where the problem is. But I have no solution for your problem. My library in Poser Pro 2012 often crashes with "unknown exception" error messages when it should open at the start - since two weeks! And it loads everything rather
    slowly. They never should have used a library that is dependent on Flash or Air.

Bloody stupid way to set up, in my opinion. Giving us four options but then saying that only one of them is the proper way to install...??
    If something works, don't mess about with it! :D Interestingly, I didn't even know I had or needed Adobe Air uintil this issue popped up, but as of Saturday morning, I now have the latest Air and Flash drivers, with absolutely no impact - the libraries still won't respond without flicking between tabs. I'm close to writing Poser off altogether and learning Daz Studio... *sigh*

• mackis3Dmackis3D Posts: 44
    edited December 1969

In case you have the AV program Avast installed there could be a solution. Avast had an update a few weeks ago and some Poser users had a similar problem with the library since then. They stopped the 'Network Shield' in Avast (Security->Antivirus->Network Shield [I hope I translated that correct from German to English]) and the library worked perfect again.

• edited December 1969

Ahhhh.... Mackis!!!

Yes, I use Avast. I'm going home to test it now, and if this works, I will be eternally grateful! :)