Trying out Inkscape (Freeware Draw Program): Texture Makers take note!

wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
edited May 2013 in Freebies

thought I'd post this link simply because I truly do love vector graphics program. The problem with this one is that like the freeware version of Serif Draw, it has no AI export... it does, however, export to other vector formats...

http://inkscape.org/

It's basically GIMP for vector graphics...

It actually has some very cool tooks on top, including a caligraphy tool, a 3D box tool, a spiral tool... The 3D Box tool is very cool...

And my absolute FAVOURITE tool is the spray paint tool. Create one or more objects, select them, select the spray paint tool and it uses those objects as a palette. It's a great tool that will probably be VERY useful to Texture Makers.

Post edited by wancow on

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Yep I agree, used it many times...lovely little program.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

here's a quick example, and this is one of the reasons I think it will be useful for texture mappers as whatever you spray is an object and can be adjusted easily.

I resized the original group so you can see what it looks like, the rest is randomly rotated and sprayed on identical objects...

bitmap.png
    566 x 800 - 132K
  • WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

I've used that a lot in the past as you can load svg files. :-)

edited December 1969

interesting... SVG is something Gimp can read too...

• pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,538
    edited December 1969

By any chance, does it do splines?

edited December 1969

pwiecek said:
    By any chance, does it do splines?

No, it does vectors :) :P

I've never known a draw program that didn't use splines.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

wancow said:
    interesting... SVG is something Gimp can read too...

I've used Inkscape on and off for years. It's better for reading SVG as Gimp is a raster program and SVG = Scalable Vector Graphic. Unless Gimp has updated and now has an equivalent to Photoshop's Smart Object pasting, then I'd stick with Inkscape for SVG.