any interest still in new content for DS3?

MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
edited December 1969 in The Commons

trying to decide whether to retire my ds3 or keep it installed for test rendering. what to do ?

Comments

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

I keep DS3 installed because I think Poser-based content behaves differently (rigging, smoothing) in DS4, but I don't use it anymore except for testing.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

DS4.0 had the smoothing in the material zone, in poser7 it's on the obj or body part. learned that making the engagement ring. :)

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited May 2013

DS4.0 had the smoothing in the material zone, in poser7 it's on the obj or body part. learned that making the engagement ring. :)

No, I'm talking about smooth/subdivision modifier applied to geometry itself, not a surface angle smoothing (which is in Surface tabs)
    Post edited by Kattey on
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

I didn't reinstall Ds3 when I reformatted a while back. I see no point since it has fewer features and renders slower then DS4.

• SilvheSilvhe Posts: 790
    edited December 1969

I still use it, I have a lot of things that never got a conversion for DS4.5: some dynamic clothings, some tools etc.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Setting aside the Genesis stuff, quite a lot of the new goodies in the store still work perfectly well in D|S3 — particularly if it's specified as having a "legacy" installation. The only things that will definitely not work are anything with D|S files only in .duf format, which is D|S4.5 only. And even then, it's frequently possible to load something in 4.5, save the materials as a dsa script, load the Poser figure or prop in D|S3 and apply the dsa material.

(FWIW, I have to stay with D|S3 for the moment at least, since I use heavily customised figures that aren't well behaved in D|S4.5.)

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'll keep my DS3A installed for the Pluggins I have in it. I use it for setting up layers for images that will later have Genesis characters in the finished render.

• TheCastellanTheCastellan Posts: 700
    edited December 1969

Sure. I only have Daz3 right now, not all of us has tip-top, state of the art computers loaded with gigs and gigs of memory at our leisure.

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    I didn't reinstall Ds3 when I reformatted a while back. I see no point since it has fewer features and renders slower then DS4.

It loads and runs faster than DS 4, though. Set up the scene in 3, do the finishing touches and rendering in 4...
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

robkelk said:
    Mattymanx said:

It loads and runs faster than DS 4, though. Set up the scene in 3, do the finishing touches and rendering in 4...

Not for me it doesn't.

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    robkelk said:
    Mattymanx said:

Not for me it doesn't.
    I suspect you're using a 64-bit OS, perhaps?

• LeChatDesignsLeChatDesigns Posts: 10
    edited May 2013

Jaderail said:
    I'll keep my DS3A installed for the Pluggins I have in it. I use it for setting up layers for images that will later have Genesis characters in the finished render.

The vast majority of people I know do 3D as hobbyists or part-time professionals. We aren't game developers or full-time commercial artists, so we don't generally have unlimited funds for this addiction. Me personally, I'm a longtime hobbyist who has spent many hundreds of dollars to build my extensive content library. I use DS3A(on a custom built computer) for the same reason as Jaderail, I have custom settings and Pluggins that I don't want to lose. For many reasons including the economy, I no longer have time or funds to invest in a new version of a software program, especially when significant issues remain unresolved.

I appreciate your question and I hope you don't mind a frank answer. Way off topic, I'm a wee bit miffed that when the new forums were opened, my post history was erased. I had close to 1000 posts. I am far from a "new" user. I've been here long enough to see history repeat itself and I'm not even a Time Lord. :-)

Cheers,

Cat

PS My answer is "yes". I would be interested in new content for DS3.

Post edited by LeChatDesigns on
  • cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609
    edited December 1969

I have ds3 installed all my content is based on ds3

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    edited December 1969

robkelk said:

It loads and runs faster than DS 4, though.

Same here. 32-bit dual core. Also uses less memory. When I started using "shader lights" from the scripting kit ( here's a topic about their kin in DS4: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/12191/ ), I also found I can make it render almost as fast - and when I'm using UberSurface2 with SSS and UberEnvironment2 with AO or IDL (i.e. 90% of the time), DS3A renders faster for me. Either US2 hasn't been truly natively recompiled for DS4.5's 3Delight, or the update didn't find its way to my account, but the automatic recompiling does eat away quite a part of performance on my system.

Besides, I still haven't been able to consistently setup DS4.5's interface to use colours that I find readable (black letters on pale greyscale backgrounds) // I have no idea why all those complicated colours were ever introduced without an option to switch to bare Windows skin - I can't be the only one who much prefers the unified look for all the software Windows has always been famous for //. And then there's that issue of not being able to position my own category tree (the one I could navigate without even looking at) above all those "folders", "products" etc.

And yeah, there's the issue with vintage Poser content behaving differently in DS4.5 - and I still primarily use oldschool items.

Having said that, I love Genesis and the whole weightmapping technology, let alone RiCurves, point-based AO and other neat new features. It's just that I don't see my DS3 going away anytime, soon or not. Thankfully they can peacefully coexist on the same machine.

• BlazeMystEraBlazeMystEra Posts: 464
    edited May 2013

I like DS4.5 ... having said that, I must admit that I still prefer setting up scenes in DS3, the handling suits me better, less possibility to totally drag a figure out of pose and better 'if I click that you highlight it, dear DS' results. That's one reason why I still use Gen4 so much, I guess. ^^

When it comes to rendering though or effects, lights, etc., DS4.5 gives way more opportunity and is faster. I would never have rendered my scenes in DS3 with the same high quality settings than I use in DS4. They'd either have crashed DS or taken way to much time.

So... I like both of them for their nice sides and dislike them for their pita sides. Funny... if DS would purr when I move the mouse it would be just like my cats O.o

And to answer the question... Yes, I am still interested in content that works in DS3 :)

Post edited by BlazeMystEra on
  • cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609
    edited December 2013

Kattey said:

No, I'm talking about smooth/subdivision modifier applied to geometry itself, not a surface angle smoothing (which is in Surface tabs)

yeap, that works well, here is an image of the WWG2 Figure that is based on the V4.2 geometry and has the morphs injected. It is a poser Figure turned into SubD with smoothing modifier and that is the result in DS4.6 (you have to choose the cattmull legacy for the mesh.

DX_next_generation3.jpg
    2000 x 1600 - 258K
    Post edited by cosmo71 on
  • icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

I have the last working release of DS1 because it's the only version that will runt Pantomime. I have DS2 and 3A for both plugins and the Bryce bridge.

I had DS4Advanced when it came out and later upgraded to 4.5 Pro. I suppose I will have to up to 4.6 to use some of the new items I picked up in the PC sale.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

I still use DS 3 Advanced as my primary work horse, though I've also gotten back into Poser with version 9 recently. I also have DS 4.0 Pro for Genesis 1, but I haven't gotten into Genesis 2 so haven't bothered with DS 4.5/4.6, and probably won't be any time soon.

Since DS 3 Advanced can handle content created for Poser (for the most part), I don't see my giving up using it as long as my laptop can continue running it without a problem.

• IceScribeIceScribe Posts: 690
    edited December 1969

Yes, still interested in content for DS3. I'm also a hobbyist without deep pockets. I have DS4.0 which uses Genesis 1 and that is fascinating to apply 3 and 4 gen clothing and have it all fit. I've been having fun combing through the "Back Catalog" sales. Lots of goodies still to be found, but new stuff would be appreciated for the gen 4s in the old formats, before .dsf.

• valis_cf78772845valis_cf78772845 Posts: 48
    edited December 2013

I can't delete posts?

Post edited by valis_cf78772845 on
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,173
    edited December 1969

I still use DS3 almost exclusively.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,329
    edited December 1969

I still use DS 3.1 Advanced.