BRYCE RENDERING CHALLENGE May "UNEXPECTED"

ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
edited May 2013 in Bryce Discussion

Second DAZ 3D Bryce rendering Challenge

Theme for this month is "Unexpected"

This thread is the WIP thread, so you can post here to show us how things are coming along before transferring the render to the actual Contest thread for judging.

Rules
~~~~~

All renders must be new renders.

You can enter up to 3 renders.

You must abide by the DAZ 3D forum TOS

Imported content is allowed, but the render must be obviously a Bryce render.

Post Work permitted, but please keep it to a minimum.

Rules may be changed for subsequent Challenges, depending on the theme and the person who has selected it.

The winner of the April Challenge will get the chance to name the theme for the June contest.

This will then continue with subsequent winners choosing the theme for the next but one contest, which will enable a new contest to start with the
minimum of delay between contests.

Whoever nominates the subject for the Challenge can modify the rules to suit that challenge.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Challenge ends on 30th May Midnight DAZ 3D time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A $20 DAZ 3D gift certificate will be given to the person whose render is selected as the best, $5 for two runners up.

Judged by members of the DAZ 3D CV team.

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

this is my new idea for the May entry I also listed my render settings....Trish

new_entry.jpg
    1370 x 683 - 559K
    render_settings.jpg
    667 x 355 - 147K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

Since the theme is Unexpected, I could upload just about anything that resulted is something half decent. But this abstract is one that was really unexpected and produced rather interesting results.

Sphere_Mirror_Blue_757_x_758_4.png
    757 x 757 - 603K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

I was just going to post the same render as I did last month... Because it winning a prize was very unexpected. :lol:

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,056
    edited December 1969

I was just going to post the same render as I did last month... Because it winning a prize was very unexpected. :lol:

Pity the first rule rules that out. But I see what you mean: what worked once works always :)
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I guess this one could be said to be "Unexpected" Was playing with some new flowers and they got vandalsied by a passing fairy in need of some new clothes. :coolsmirk:

bellflower_fairy_copy.jpg
    675 x 900 - 379K
    edited December 1969

@Pam: It looks more like you're growing fairies than clothing fairies. Nice image.

edited December 1969

Rather unexpected. Very well done, the lady with the flower garments.

edited December 1969

Thankyou ♥♥

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I guess this one could be said to be "Unexpected" Was playing with some new flowers and they got vandalsied by a passing fairy in need of some new clothes. :coolsmirk:

At first glance I didn't even realize it until I read what you wrote. This is really cute Pam. ;-)
    edited December 1969

Here's another that turned out to be a surprise.

Cube_n_Cube_4_1.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
    edited December 1969

Like an alien city. However, the render is unclean. You might want to render premium with a rather high rpp setting.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Horo's right. My first thought was the inside of a Borg cube. That's about as "alien city" as you can get. ;-)

• JStryderJStryder Posts: 168
    edited December 1969

Hi I'm new to Bryce, been checking out the forums and tutorials for a few weeks. Seems like a friendly place, in fact the friendliness and information encouraged me (in addition to the low price and my affinity for trying new things at least ten years after everybody else) to try Bryce out.

The desert scene is based on David's desert tutorial but I messed with the lighting and added a couple of Bryce objects: Lisa's palm tree and old man Rex. I generated a Bryce palm tree first but did not consider the results very palm-like.

Shortly, I discovered it impossible to add the objects directly from Daz into my scene, which was already prepared with dunes and lights, because Daz's "export to Bryce" automatically opened a new instance of Bryce and placed the object into an empty scene. From there I exported the object (.OBJ or Daz, either way) and imported into my Bryce dune scene. That worked, sort of. But then the palm tree looked like a banana tree because the second export operation messed up the transparency mapping on the palm fronds somehow, and I could not figure out how to restore the palm materials to the state as first exported from Daz (when the fronds looked like fronds).

So I am throwing this scene away to start over in a scene where the palm tree looks like a palm tree. Unfortunately, I could not figure out how to import the Bryce terrains into the empty scene with the proper palm tree (apparently this is impossible?), so it means recreating new terrains; the original terrain is lost forever. That would be a disappointment were it not for the hope that the new terrain will somehow be better, and playing with fractals is somewhat fun anyway.

Derision, criticism, suggestions or silence. All are welcome.

Dunes_with_palm_and_rex_TA.jpg
    1274 x 695 - 84K
    edited December 1969

Welcome jonathan, nice to see you around in this friendly place. Good start. Here's a small tip: if you have a scene from which you want to take over objects into another, just select what you need, group them, copy to the clipboard (ctrl-c ), open the destination document and paste (ctrl-v) the stuff into it, then ungroup. If you quit Bryce, what is in the clipboard is deleted. Neither does it work to have two instances of Bryce open and copy from one to the other.

edited December 1969

With your palm tree leaves it sounds as though they may have a transparency on them, that can be sorted out in the texture editor.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,940
    edited December 1969

This was an unexpected result I got using David’s

Bryce Made Easy - Abstract recipe 1 - by David Brinnen

unexpected.jpg
    960 x 720 - 44K
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited May 2013

Unexpected for you maybe ;) I got this one too (very close) when I was testing the tutorial.

Good render though, it's pleasing the way that the bump can give rise to convincing looking geometry.

Edit. I'll render it out with the EWL 300 degrees so you can see the difference.

Abstract_horizon4.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 1M
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,940
    edited December 1969

Unexpected for you maybe ;) I got this one too (very close) when I was testing the tutorial.

Good render though, it's pleasing the way that the bump can give rise to convincing looking geometry.

Edit. I'll render it out with the EWL 300 degrees so you can see the difference.

Awesome David its so beautiful. I got nice abstract results too, when you increased the haze at the beginning of the tutorial.

Unfortunately I can't afford any goodies yet. Is there any other way to achieve some distortion using the primitives or something we have in the preset?

Hopping over to watch your abstract 2 video now.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

you look yummy

You_look_yummy.jpg
    1274 x 695 - 372K
    edited December 1969

Awesome David its so beautiful. I got nice abstract results too, when you increased the haze at the beginning of the tutorial.

Unfortunately I can't afford any goodies yet. Is there any other way to achieve some distortion using the primitives or something we have in the preset?

Hopping over to watch your abstract 2 video now.

Other ways?

Of course...

Try this. Use 360 degree panoramic projection, it's not as pleasing as spherical mapping or fish eye view, but it does offer an interesting twist.

Image1.jpg
    289 x 408 - 64K
    edited December 1969

bigh said:
    you look yummy

Yup! That's unexpected! It looks like the monster is eyeing up Medusa's wig.

edited December 1969

@bigh - funny!

edited December 1969

I got another very unexpected result turn up in theis render.

Unexpected enough that a hitherto purely Arctic Climate planet decideds all by itself to produce a new landmass in a warmer eare by extruding it via a volcano. But then I experimented putting a flame in the volcano, and I got an unexpected face on the flame, which is a prck with one of David's textures on it.

Am I the only one who see faces in clouds and fire?

birthing_a_new_land._.jpg
    900 x 675 - 361K
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

thanks guys - we try

edited December 1969

chohole said:

Clouds: no; fire: yes.
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    chohole said:

Clouds: no; fire: yes.

I forgot I changed the clouds in that one. It's going to be a shame to hide the flame in more smoke and ash really, I like that face.

edited December 1969

Title: The Arrival of the Spanish Inquisition

That was unexpected. :-)

Spanish.jpg
    1650 x 750 - 604K
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Title: The Arrival of the Spanish Inquisition

That was unexpected. :-)

Nobody expects the Spanish inquisition!
    edited December 1969

@Horo/Miss B: I agree it's a bit on the undone side. I was trying to keep render times down, Horo, but may have to go back to that one and use another render setting. Borg? Hmmm...I'd forgot about those folks.

@mermaid/David: Nice eye candy.

@bigH: Are you sure the two foot is eying the tentacles? Could be the tentacles are eying the two foot? Nice job.

@Pam: Nice waves, but no hands. :)

@Dave: Many of the Spanish were unexpected.

Here's another test/experiment that gave interesting, if not, unexpected results.

Star_n_Cube_12_1_Sig.png
    1080 x 810 - 2M
    edited December 1969

Just a variation of the previous render with different cropping ratio to try and exaggerate the scale of the scene.

Not sure it's an improvement or just different.

SpanishALT.jpg
    1000 x 650 - 455K