What online stores are doing this offer?

Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,586
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I saw that Amazon is doing a promotion that if I get a new computer with Windows 7, when Windows 8 comes out I can upgrade it for about fifteen dollars. What other stores are doing this promotion?
I might be able to get a new notebook in August or September to replace my dead one, but that is only if certain things come to be. I am hoping a place where I can build my own custom notebook would have this offer.

I can only get if I go back to school in the fall as I would need a notebook for school. I can only go back to school in the fall if FAFsa approves the application I just turned in. (Do not know what fafsa is? it is a government thing to help people get college education)

Comments

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,586
    edited December 1969

If I am not going back to school, I have a perfectly working desktop which works perfectly fine at home.

• Kodiak3dKodiak3d Posts: 223
    edited December 1969

Stick with Win7. Windows 8 is going to be an even bigger failure than Vista.

edited December 1969

Kodiak3D said:

Why do you say that?

• JackFosterJackFoster Posts: 143
    edited June 2012

I have Windows 8 Consumer Preview on my computer and I hate it immensely. If I could find my disks to switch back to Win 7, I'd have done it the week after I installed this POS OS. Windows 8 is all gimmick with very little actual functionality. It's an OS Lite, really, and there's really nothing good that I can say about it.

Edit: Oh, and by the way, I had Windows Vista and Windows ME at one point, and I never had a problem with them. This is the first Windows OS I've genuinely disliked.

Post edited by JackFoster on
    edited December 1969

when will windows 8 be released? i doubt when it is released I can get windows 7.

Crap it is ten pm where did the day go?

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited June 2012

History repeats at MS. Win 95 stable, next? flop, Win 98 stable, ect ect ect... about every three years they get it okay. Never upgrade untill they stop making patches for the OS that works for you.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • Kodiak3dKodiak3d Posts: 223
    edited December 1969

Kodiak3D said:

Why do you say that?

Because they're making too big of a change at once at consumers won't like it. People are used to Windows and how it works, but Win8 is a major change to that style and making it more like a phone or tablet. They're also pushing a switch to touchscreens, which I think is a huge mistake for PC's. Really, how many people sit close enough to their screen to even make a touchscreen a reasonable choice?

• Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Meeeh, Windows 8 is Bantha Poodoo.

• ruekakaruekaka Posts: 346
    edited December 1969

Kodiak3D said:
    They're also pushing a switch to touchscreens, which I think is a huge mistake for PC's. Really, how many people sit close enough to their screen to even make a touchscreen a reasonable choice?

That was my first impression, too. It seems to be made for people playing around, not for the daily job.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 95,997
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    History repeats at MS. Win 95 stable, next? flop, Win 98 stable, ect ect ect... about every three years they get it okay. Never upgrade untill they stop making patches for the OS that works for you.

98 was the release after 95 (there was an SR2, but that was never released as a separate upgrade as I recall). 95, 98 and 98SE were all pretty good, though there were complaints that they didn't add enough new stuff to justify upgrading. ME was the first of that series to be actively panned. Then Xp was good, Vista took heavy flak, 7 was good, 8 looks iffy (I have this machine set to dual-boot, but I've rarely used 8CP and haven't upgraded it to RP yet).

• ErdehelErdehel Posts: 386
    edited December 1969

I have a windows phone, an Xbox 360 and latest Win 8 on a test machine. I see how MS is building an entire ecosystem with the same metro interface. People will get used to it very quickly IMHO. Most people only use a few programs and for that use Metro is just fine: On my Win 8 desk I have a group of tiles for my Games, one for my 3D apps and one for the other most used programs. All 3 groups fit on my screen. I switch to the usual Win 7 styled desktop only rarely. BTW, I will probably buy a Win 8 RT tablet :)

On my win 7 machine I have 10 icons in my taskbar that I use for my daily needs. I only rarely use the start button...

--> Kodiak3D: Metro with touchscreen technology is needed for tablets and phones. MS doesn't actually pushes touchscreen on PC or on Xbox.

It is true some people won't like a PC with the Metro UI.

• LoaarLoaar Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Erdehel is spot on.

As I posted in the other thread about w8, this version is about the ecosystem and locking people into Microsoft's version of it. It will be very interesting to see how w8 tablets stack up against the iPad, especially the new Microsoft Surface they announced this week.

• Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Windows Media Center is already installed on Vista, btw. So, I can see what's like to use MS Win8, and it's useless for productive work, while it's ok for playing music, or browsing pictures.

• ErdehelErdehel Posts: 386
    edited June 2012

Quote: "Norse Graphics" ... it's useless for productive work..

In your opinion :)

Post edited by Erdehel on
  • SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,972
    edited June 2012

Erdehel said:

There are some serious problems and flaws with the devkits available for Windows 8. Free development for desktop is going to be hobbled. This is not a good thing.

More.

Post edited by Skiriki on
    edited June 2012

Skiriki said:
    Erdehel said:

There are some serious problems and flaws with the devkits available for Windows 8. Free development for desktop is going to be hobbled. This is not a good thing.

More.

Uh-oh. I wonder what will happen for DS plugin development, the SDK - I believe - is optimised for use with VS. Hmm, perhaps I should download the non-limited version if I can find it, just to be safe. Edit: ah, I see version 10 will continue to be available.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,972
    edited December 1969

Yeah. And then time will run past VS 10. :( This is a really, really, really baa-aa-aa-aaad decision; it is also going to smack development of open source software for Windows as well. Because while Metro will be nice and dandy for mobile devices with touchscreens, user reports of desktop usage are less than stellar.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:

98 was the release after 95 (there was an SR2, but that was never released as a separate upgrade as I recall). 95, 98 and 98SE were all pretty good, though there were complaints that they didn't add enough new stuff to justify upgrading. ME was the first of that series to be actively panned. Then Xp was good, Vista took heavy flak, 7 was good, 8 looks iffy (I have this machine set to dual-boot, but I've rarely used 8CP and haven't upgraded it to RP yet).
    I could have swore 1000 or Mil or such name came after 95, it was so bad it was pulled. I could be wrong. The old mind isn't what it used to be. Never mind I think I'm thinking of 2000 which did come later.

edited December 1969

I contacted HP and they said they are doing that deal.

I just have to wait till my school gets the info into their database to see if i have enough for school and a notebook for school. (of course the notebook is for school.)

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Jaderail said:

I could have swore 1000 or Mil or such name came after 95, it was so bad it was pulled. I could be wrong. The old mind isn't what it used to be. Never mind I think I'm thinking of 2000 which did come later.

2000 came between NT4.something and XP - as I recall XP used much of the 2000 core, but with added consumer-friendliness (I seem to recall that although 2000 had a version of DirectX it wasn't updated, or something like that). Anyway, 2000 was fairly well regarded as I recall.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Yes. THere were 2 versions came out very close together., one called Win Me (Millennium-edition) was hopeless, still based on win98. but Win2k was a great operationg system imo, based on the windows NT system.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Microsoft_Windows

I began with Windows for Workgroups 3.1 at work, went on with 95, had ME at home for much too long a time, was happy about XP and since one month have 7 at home.

All I've read about 8 in computer journals gives me the impression I am lucky I jumped to 7 as long as it exists.