Quickly Relocating Figures in a Scene

PVGamesPVGames Posts: 68
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hello all,

I just had a quick question. Is there a quicker way to relocate (or load for that matter) a figure in a scene? Basically if I have the Dream House loaded up and then I load up a Genesis figure to put in the house, the Genesis figure is loaded in its usual central spot, and thus has to be dragged all the way to whatever room its supposed to go in, which can be time consuming because you have to shift the camera around and fiddle a lot with the XYZ coords. Is there a way to just select a figure and then like click on a spot you want it to be?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,437
    edited December 1969

No there is no function like that. The best you can do is to select the move tool which will bring up the XYZ arrows and move it that way instead of using the parameters tab.

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited June 2012

Frank0314 said:
    No there is no function like that. The best you can do is to select the move tool which will bring up the XYZ arrows and move it that way instead of using the parameters tab.

In general, this SHOULD work. Instead of double clicking to add an item to the scene, press and hold the ALT key on your keyboard. Now drag the item from the Content Library over the viewport. A yellow box should appear, move the mouse around and the box should follow. When you release the mouse button the item should be placed in the area of the yellow box.

I seem to have found a bug in 4.5.x where ".dsf" and the older ".daz" files do not function properly (the yellow box never appears). However, pp2, cr2, and duf files all do function properly so it's good to go even for Genesis as long as you're using the Genesis.duf version.

Post edited by adamr001 on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,437
    edited December 1969

TY Adam. See you learn something new every day.

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

Place NULLs in strategic locations. From the scene tab select the NULL in the area you want the item, Select Edit->copy->copy selected items. Then highlight your newly inserted item in the scene tab, select edit->paste->Paste to selected item(s). This should move the item to the NULL's location. Tweak as necessary.

Kendall

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

I have trouble with this too, especially in large sets where the floor is not at y=0. Thanks, Adam and Kendall, for these ideas!

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,172
    edited December 1969

Also, if you reparent an item with parent in place off it will move to be in the same position relative to its new parent as it was in relation to the origin, or its former parent.