D/S 4.5 Pro crashes a LOT.

Scotty ZScotty Z Posts: 44
edited April 2013 in Daz Studio Discussion

I haven't seen anyone else bothered by this but when I use 4.5 Pro it crashes a lot. I currently have a scene with 2 v4's and some pretty simple props that D/S refuses to render. I was easily doing scenes twice this size with D/S 3.

Here's the best part: most of the time I don't even get a hint of a reason for why it went away, the application just vanishes. I've been learning to save very frequently these days because even a test render can mean you lose a lot of work.

Edited to add some helpful images and more explanation:

So, I click render and it's merrily "optimizing images" until it shows the problem illustrated by the first picture.

It seems to recover from that and continues "optimizing images" until it suddenly throws up it's hands in exasperation and shows the problem illustrated in the second picture.

Post edited by Scotty Z on

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

You will be asked what your system specs are.

I am in the same boat and after a while I came to the conclusion that with the "imporvements" to DS4.5 my system can no longer cope with how DS4.5 works. So I don't use it anymore prefering to stck with DS3A until I can get a new workstation.

But just to make sure if on Windows use the inbulit Ram testing function...I think if can be found in the Control Panel. But to be honest I fear there is nothing wrong with your system but just how DS4.5 works now.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,851
    edited December 1969

If it's a laptop then it's no real surprise, stick to playing DVDs and web browsing with it, if it's a desktop then it must be one sorry excuse if it can't run DS4.5, my four and a half year old desktop has no problems with DS4.5, and that's despite being a 2.5 GHz Core2 Quad, 4 GB RAM and a 1GB GT430, and all on Vista HP 64 bit.

• Scotty ZScotty Z Posts: 44
    edited April 2013

Thanks Szark for the quick if not very hopeful reply.

Switching to 4.5 was against my better judgement. I happen to really LIKE D/S 3 and it seemed to be working fine for me, but everyone said that if I could just come to grips with the "improvements" to the UI how I'd love 4.5. Well, I still think the UI is bizarre and for no other reason than they could make it that way. I could give a laundry list of reasons why I think the new UI should have never left the drawing board, but I won't go into that rant.

Anyhow, my system shouldn't have any problems with 4.5 as far as I know. Here are some specs, if any others are helpful I'll try to find them:

Windows 7 Home Premium

- Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM) i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20 Ghz 3.20 GHz
    - Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB
    - System Type: 64-bit operating system

The only think I can think of that may be a bit odd is that I run all of it off an external drive although D/S seems to want to use some temp space on the C drive.

So, I tried removing a couple things from the scene and rendering again. The following 2 screenshots tell the story.

daz_error_4.jpg
    546 x 520 - 213K
    daz_error_3.jpg
    518 x 556 - 144K
    Post edited by Scotty Z on
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

I run DS45 on C Drive but all my content is on E Drive and I have no issues.

The folder listed in the temp folder on C is made by DS during install.

You may have to install DS45 on C Drive to get around the issue. No promisses. Just a guess.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

Press F2-key to bring up Preferences, the path for the Temporary File and DSON Cache Files are at the bottom of the General. Give us a screen shot of that, or just make a new temp and cache folder in your Documents folder and change the paths to these.

• ruekakaruekaka Posts: 346
    edited December 1969

Did you check the memory consumption with the TaskManager when DS crashes?

• Scotty ZScotty Z Posts: 44
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    I run DS45 on C Drive but all my content is on E Drive and I have no issues.

The folder listed in the temp folder on C is made by DS during install.

You may have to install DS45 on C Drive to get around the issue. No promisses. Just a guess.

Ah, Matty, I was hoping you'd show up.... it's all your fault, I wouldn't have listened to the others but I believed you. I'll PM you with how you can make it up to me. :)

Ok, so I d/l'ed a fresh copy of 4.5 Pro 64bit and installed it. I let it install on the C drive and strangely enough it didn't insist on whacking the K drive version. I also opted out of that Content Management thing (or whatever it's called) because I don't like things happening automatically.

Anyhow, I just completed a render of the revised version of the scene and everything seems to have gone ok (except one of the v4's clothes are all over the place... apparently they didn't stay parented properly when I parented HER to a prop for movement purposes). But that's an issue for another time.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

Thats good to know LMB. Glad it worked out for you.

I personally dont mind installing stuff to C Drive. I have kept my installed content on E Drive though for over 5 years with no issue and no need to reinstall any of it except plugins.