Bot Genesis+Reality Help!

revenger681revenger681 Posts: 156
edited April 2013 in Daz Studio Discussion

Does anyone have any tips for using the Bot Genesis figure with Reality? I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the metalic skin to come out correctly in Reality. Here is a few attachments, first off with Daz Studio render, it looks quite nice! For some reason though, in Reality it comes out completely white.... There are some metalic looking parts, but not much (I noticed the back leg is reflective..), the spine lights are also dull and barely there. I added a small, very dull blue light on the head just for fun to make it look as if the light near the ear is dimmly lighting up that area. In DAZ, the spine's lights are reflecting off ever-so-softly (which is what I want... Them to be visible, but very subtle).

Any advice would be appreciated, especially if you've used this figure in Reality, if you could let me know how you got it to look right. I let the reality version render for just a short time (you can already see it looks like white plastic, mostly).

Post edited by revenger681 on

Comments

• revenger681revenger681 Posts: 156
    edited April 2013

Not sure if this means anything, but I get this error during rendering as well (but it continues to go on and render anyways):
    "[2013-04-25 04:15:58 Error: 43] Shape #566 (plymesh): Inconsistent vertex winding in mesh, aborting subdivision."

Here is an updated Reality render after some more time as well. These are very rough renders just for a test so I haven't done things like change the other characters clothing and skin to their proper properties to make them less shiney, etc. ATM I'm just concerned with getting Bot Genesis to look right, I love the concept of this character very much!

reality_scene.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
  • cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

I replied to the thread you started over in the Reality forums: http://forum.runtimedna.com/showthread.php?78157-Bot-Genesis

The inconsistent vertex winding means you have a material with mad geometry, which may be the low-rez bugged geometry getting exported. You get this when you enable subdivision (or have a displacement map, which implies a minimum of one level of subdivision in LuxRender) and have a bad mesh. If it's a displacement map and you can't fix the offending mesh, then switching to microfacet displacement will work around this, but render quite a bit slower. But again, I don't recall having problems with BotGenesis' mesh subdividing. If you scroll back in the LuxRender log, you can see where it loads shape 566 and determine exactly what surface has the bad mesh.

• BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The material for the Bot Genesis is a custom made shader for the 3Delight render engine & would require extensive tweaking to get it to look good in Lux Render. You might want to try using a different metal shader.

edited December 1969

Thanks for all the help, cwichura, and bw. I will continue this over at the reality forums, where cwichura has provided a wealth of information and fixes.

edited April 2013

Here's a bot genesis render I found using reality: http://cwichura.deviantart.com/art/Cryo-Cargo-Inspection-Caretaker-Closeup-2-362876376 , its pretty damn awesome! Hopefully someday I'll be able to come close to something like it! It was your pic, cwichura, impressive and inspiring!

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

The material is set to glossy, which is why it doesn't look so great. If you convert it to a metal and use one of the Reality presets (aluminium works well) you can give the entire body a metallic sheen.

• edited January 2015

Not sure if this means anything, but I get this error during rendering as well (but it continues to go on and render anyways):
    "[2013-04-25 04:15:58 Error: 43] Shape #566 (plymesh): Inconsistent vertex winding in mesh, aborting subdivision."

Here is an updated Reality render after some more time as well. These are very rough renders just for a test so I haven't done things like change the other characters clothing and skin to their proper properties to make them less shiney, etc. ATM I'm just concerned with getting Bot Genesis to look right, I love the concept of this character very much!

How can I make Bot Genesis white like revenger681 picture in poser?

Post edited by nanogirl_4e33e17aa8 on