Carrara and Daz Studio content

Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,604
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I know that Carrara 8.5 Beta can use the new Daz Studio DSON stuff, and 8.1 can use Poser content, but can either version use the old Daz Studio Legacy content, from before DSON was invented?

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,224
    edited December 1969

I know that Carrara 8.5 Beta can use the new Daz Studio DSON stuff, and 8.1 can use Poser content, but can either version use the old Daz Studio Legacy content, from before DSON was invented?
    Yes. You mean Michael 4 and Victoria 4 and such? Buildings, props, dragons, horses, elephants, cars, spaceships, clothing, hair... all of it.
    The stuff that doesn't work in versions previous to 8.5 beta, would be anything Genesis related.
    Also, Daz Studio-specific things, like Movie Maker, or Optitex dynamic clothes, Daz Studio shaders, lights and cameras... that stuff doesn't work in Carrara. At least to my knowledge and understanding.
  • Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,604
    edited December 1969

I'm mainly thinking about the early Daz Studio stuff where Daz provided a Poser and a Daz Studio installer. Most of the time the model was in Poser format but they provided Daz Studio specific shaders as well as the Poser MAT files.

I have been using the categorisation system in Daz Studio since version 3 but since it was originally only for Studio I didn't bother to categorise the Poser MAT files if there was a Studio shader. But now when I use the content manager in 8.5 Beta I keep finding material setting folders that don't show any content. I am guessing that this is because the shaders are not compatible with Carrara so it isn't showing them. If this is the cause them I am going to have to go through all my old stuff finding the MAT files and adding them to the content manager, I'm not looking foreward to that!

edited December 1969

I'm mainly thinking about the early Daz Studio stuff where Daz provided a Poser and a Daz Studio installer. Most of the time the model was in Poser format but they provided Daz Studio specific shaders as well as the Poser MAT files.
    In these cases, you don't need to install the extra D|S stuff except for use with D|S.
  • Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,604
    edited December 1969

In these cases, you don't need to install the extra D|S stuff except for use with D|S.

I use Poser and Daz Studio so I install both. The problem is I used to only categorise the Studio stuff in content manager so if Carrara can't use it I'll have to categorise both.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

D/S shaders don't transfer over. If they're built using texture maps, those can be located and used to build Carrara shaders.

Poser shaders will load, but usually require tweaking as the translation isn't perfect. Most often the issue is the Highlight/Shininess settings need to be adjusted. I've also run into situations where a color multiplier is added to the color channel. There are occasions where specular maps aren't loaded (they should go in the Highlight channel).

edited December 1969

Yeah... just stick with how you already categorized your older D|S stuff. For Carrara, just use the Poser content. Until it comes to Genesis. But if you install Genesis to default, Carrara 8.5 will pick it up.

• jaebeajaebea Posts: 454
    edited December 1969

I applied Historical Curls to my figure last night and was dealing with those highlights you are talking about. But even when I went into the texture room and turned them off, they are still there. I can't figure out how to get rid of them.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

jaebea said:
    I applied Historical Curls to my figure last night and was dealing with those highlights you are talking about. But even when I went into the texture room and turned them off, they are still there. I can't figure out how to get rid of them.

Did you do it for each shading domain?

• jaebeajaebea Posts: 454
    edited December 1969

I didn't even realize there was more than one. I also discovered that the transparency didn't come over for the hair. Got the 3 domains covered and the trans in there and it looks great! Thank you!

edited April 2013

Awesome!
    When you get some time, have a look through the Carrara Information Manual, stickied in the forums. It has links to all things Carrara, articles, and index to Cripeman's incredibly cool video tutorials, a bunch of advice from EvilProducer and many tutorials. I nkow that the Table of Contents (first post) is a bit out of order... I have to work on that one of these days.

I actually work on that thread a lot. But I forget to go in and reorganize the table of contents into something a bit more logical. Oh well... at least it helps to lead folks from here to there and back again! lol

Just wait until you start to really get into the swing of how easy everything is to do in Carrara... you'll just love it!

Large_D.jpg
    1500 x 1950 - 1004K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on