New Carrara Product - Carrara Realistic Seas

PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Just to let forum members know that I have just released a new Carrara product - a set of realistic sea surfaces. See here for details:
http://www.daz3d.com/shop/carrara-realistic-seas-2/

I hope you will like them. You can use this thread to post any images using them.

Thanks,

Phil

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited December 1969

nice work PhilW, love those whitecaps

• Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson Posts: 1,643
    edited December 1969

Nice choices, too! I just bought it and hope to try it out in the next couple weeks when I get some extra time.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

Nice choices, too! I just bought it and hope to try it out in the next couple weeks when I get some extra time.

Thank you - I hope you enjoy it!
  • GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:

Thank you - I hope you enjoy it!

Also purchased! Now I'll finally have no excuses to use the HMS Victory model in a scene! :coolsmile:

edited June 2012

Victory is a nice model - you'll have noticed that I used it in one of the promo images. I think I added a little translucency to the sails but otherwise it was rendered "out of the box".

Post edited by PhilW on
  • scottidog2scottidog2 Posts: 319
    edited December 1969

Well done Phil. Just bought your latest creation. Looking forward to using it soon.
    Marlo

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,191
    edited December 1969

Phil -

I bought the product and hope it helps me create realistic sea scenes.

I have found an issue - in the 3D window, using Gouraud or Flat display brings everything to a VERY slow crawl. I am running a Core i7 machine with 8 GB RAM, Windows 7, so it should be adequate. With only the preset in the scene (I've tried #1 and #8 so far), just changing from Camera 1 to Director's Camera can take a minute or so. The same for virtually any scene adjustment - re-aim the camera, select "Scene" in the hierarchy window, etc. Oddly, the renders are quite fast, just a few seconds. But even returning from the Render to the 3D Window results in a long delay while "Preparing Data ..." I tried scaling down the size of the sea object to 10% and even 1%, no help.

If I switch the 3D View to Wire it gets almost acceptable, e.g. several seconds lag to re-aim the camera. Using the Bounding Box view is pretty instantaneous for most adjustments.

Does this sound right to you? I can live with it, it just seems surprising that it gets so slow, even with wire frame.

- Steve K.

edited December 1969

Steve K said:
    Phil -

I bought the product and hope it helps me create realistic sea scenes.

I have found an issue - in the 3D window, using Gouraud or Flat display brings everything to a VERY slow crawl. I am running a Core i7 machine with 8 GB RAM, Windows 7, so it should be adequate. With only the preset in the scene (I've tried #1 and #8 so far), just changing from Camera 1 to Director's Camera can take a minute or so. The same for virtually any scene adjustment - re-aim the camera, select "Scene" in the hierarchy window, etc. Oddly, the renders are quite fast, just a few seconds. But even returning from the Render to the 3D Window results in a long delay while "Preparing Data ..." I tried scaling down the size of the sea object to 10% and even 1%, no help.

If I switch the 3D View to Wire it gets almost acceptable, e.g. several seconds lag to re-aim the camera. Using the Bounding Box view is pretty instantaneous for most adjustments.

Does this sound right to you? I can live with it, it just seems surprising that it gets so slow, even with wire frame.

- Steve K.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for buying it. No, it does not sound right to me at all. I have a much less powerful machine than you and at most I am getting maybe a second's delay when using Gouraud display. For switching cameras the response is near instant and I can happy move the camera interactively. I have tested with C7 and C8 (inc C8.5) with the same results and the Daz testers also did not report any issues.

So I am at a loss to explain it, but I do have a suggestion to make your life easier. Select the top level of the sea object (eg. "00-Flat") and in the Properties panel above, you will see an item that reads Display with the "Mesh" option selected. If you change this to Bounding Box, it should make setting up and interacting with your scene much faster. You will not be able to see the sea surface in the same way, but hopefully it will allow you to use the seas more effectively.

I hope this helps.

edited July 2012

PhilW said:
    ... I do have a suggestion to make your life easier. Select the top level of the sea object (eg. "00-Flat") and in the Properties panel above, you will see an item that reads Display with the "Mesh" option selected. If you change this to Bounding Box, it should make setting up and interacting with your scene much faster. You will not be able to see the sea surface in the same way, but hopefully it will allow you to use the seas more effectively.

I hope this helps.

Yup, that did it, thanks for the quick response. I'm glad I asked (and you answered), since I would never have tried that, having never realized Carrara HAD such a variable. I can now have all the other objects set to Gouraud and everything responds instantly to camera motion, etc. The loss of detail of the sea object in the 3D view is no big problem.

I might mention that making the change you suggested happened instantly, but switching back (from bounding box to mesh for the sea object) resulted in a long delay, maybe 30 - 60 seconds. So there is still something screwy with something, apparently in my Carrara setup at least (C8 64 bit). I dunno ...

Attached is a render that came out nice IMHO, the water is just what I was hoping for.

- Steve K.

Park_Point_Lighthouse_-_Fog_Atlantic_Swell_HMS_Victory_Color_Inverted_Walkway_Adjusted.jpg
    800 x 600 - 217K
    Post edited by Steve K on
    edited December 1969

Cool render - although I think I would be worried sailing that ship so close to the rocks!

The sea surfaces are based on a terrain, which is then placed in a replicator to produce a very large surface area. You can reduce the replicator parameters (I think they are set up for 100 x 100, so you are getting 10,000 instances!). The "display" parameter is for replicators and determines how each instance is previewed in the Assemble Room. I found that mesh was OK on my system, but bounding box will always be much faster. I think that replicators are vastly underused by most Carrara users - it's like having Vue and never using Ecosystems!

edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    Cool render - although I think I would be worried sailing that ship so close to the rocks!

The sea surfaces are based on a terrain, which is then placed in a replicator to produce a very large surface area. You can reduce the replicator parameters (I think they are set up for 100 x 100, so you are getting 10,000 instances!). The "display" parameter is for replicators and determines how each instance is previewed in the Assemble Room. I found that mesh was OK on my system, but bounding box will always be much faster. I think that replicators are vastly underused by most Carrara users - it's like having Vue and never using Ecosystems!

I think you could get the ship in that close if the current was holding it off the rocks. You might have to strike sail and tow it close with row boats ... not sure I believe this, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. I do recall a story about the HMS Diamond Rock, actually a small but very tall and rocky island that the British fortified around 1800 and actually commissioned as a naval vessel. I vaguely remember a sketch showing how they used a pulley system to lift cannons off the ship to the top of the tall island, while the ship was anchored very close. So maybe it is possible.

Interesting info about the replicators, I never stop finding more depth to Carrara.

- Steve K.

• todd_russelltodd_russell Posts: 5
    edited December 1969

I hope someone here can help me, but I just purchased this product and I cant seem to locate it or Carrara CloudDomes in Carrara 8. I bought the bundle. Please someone help me out. Thanks.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,802
    edited December 1969

see the screen capture..

when you select the folder browse to your carrara install.. presets... objects.. PhilW Realistic seas ( or whatever you need )

that should do it .. hope this helps you

import_folder.jpg
    982 x 858 - 253K
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited December 1969

On my list for next month...thanks, Phil. Will save a lot of work for an upcoming project!

:) xx Silene

edited December 1969

SileneUK said:
    On my list for next month...thanks, Phil. Will save a lot of work for an upcoming project!

Good to know! :)

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

I think I will make use of Realistic Seas again in the not-too-distant future.

edited December 1969

I last used it for my 1000th images in my Rendo gallery!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,224
    edited December 1969

Steve K said:
    Attached is a render that came out nice IMHO, the water is just what I was hoping for.

- Steve K.

Very nice render!
    Wow, Phil... that sea looks fantastic!
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    SileneUK said:

OK, it's saying I already have it. Looks like it was either already in, or has it been upgraded in, the seas in Carrara Seas & Skies bundle I bought in May? If so will there be an update next time I am in my DIM?

Sorry to be thick about this.... hadn't had a chance to use the seas part yet, just the skies so far. But after doing some other stuff...will be getting back to working up the sea scenes.

Cheers!
    xx :) Silene

edited December 1969

SileneUK said:
    PhilW said:
    SileneUK said:

OK, it's saying I already have it. Looks like it was either already in, or has it been upgraded in, the seas in Carrara Seas & Skies bundle I bought in May? If so will there be an update next time I am in my DIM?

Sorry to be thick about this.... hadn't had a chance to use the seas part yet, just the skies so far. But after doing some other stuff...will be getting back to working up the sea scenes.

Cheers!
    xx :) Silene

The "Realistic Seas" product is indeed part of the "Sea and Sky" bundle - it is the Sea part! It has not been updated (as far as I know, unless DAZ has done something without me knowing!). Did you remember to add the folder in Carrara after DIM had downloaded it? I don't know why Carrara doesn't do this automatically.

Enjoy!

• That Other PersonaThat Other Persona Posts: 381
    edited September 2014

Hi all,

I bought this months ago and have just gotten around to trying it out, only not to find it. (Same for the new buildings set)

I am on a Mac and I cannot add a folder as I cannot access the presets when the app is running.

With the app closed, I can access the Presets folder and find the files, I just can't seem to access them from within Carrara.

Please help!

Edit: If I move the files into one of the default folders, the show up when Carrara is open.

Edit 2: If I create an alias of the folder, then I can add that folder and it works.

Post edited by That Other Persona on