The Noob

thecampisithecampisi Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

So the thing is that I've no idea how to draw. I'm 29 and can say I'm pretty imaginative overall. But... I've never worked on graphics design to any great extent not needed at my work. (Very minor photoshopping). I've done just a bit of Maya and zbrush in college as well. The meat and potatoes of what I'm getting at is I'm leaning very heavily to trying to make a career of graphics design for game development. What can I take from daz3d in that regard. What tools should I be using with daz3d for my own creations. (saw blender as a good one). I'd like to know important areas to focus my effort as I get into this to do it in an intelligent manner.

Comments

• BlackFeather1973BlackFeather1973 Posts: 739
    edited December 1969

Strictly speaking of game development, the Daz software is not really intended for that but more for rendering stills and animations (not real-time rendering). There's also the issue of licensing. Practically all items in the Daz shop are licensed for 2d images made with the 3d content, and not for distribution of the 3d models. (on a sidenote : you can purchase licenses for use of 3d models in games, depending on the vendor) This may sound limiting, but it comes with a major plus, try comparing the prices at markets geared towards 2d rendering with the prices of 3d models elsewhere.
    Daz software (and also Poser etc.) is very well suited for creating 2d sprites and other 2d graphics.

Now looking at it from a broader perspective, the Daz software is a great tool for learning to understand how the whole 3D thing works. Everything i know about 3D (just to be clear, i'm no expert) i learned from Daz Studio and their other software. There are many aspects to 3D and in Daz Studio you can see them all come together, and you don't have to grasp it all at once because you can use high quality content made by professionals. Modelling, rigging, weight maps, lighting, texturing, animating, ... It's all there and you can use it, then you can start tearing things apart, see how it works, try to make your own, compare it, learn more, and so on and so on.

Ok, it's clear by now that i'm a fan :lol:
    But go ahead and give it a try, you'll probably like it as well.

• thecampisithecampisi Posts: 0
    edited April 2013

I'll have to give it a try or waste now 700 dollars worth of content. I understand that I can't use this for making games. I did approach it with the mindset of making some animations and stills. It is making me more interested in other aspects of 3d art. Staying on the topic of daz3d though, there's a lot that I'm trying to learn. Like making original scenery, clothes, morphs, lighting, rendering. I've spent the majority of the past 16 hours researching and practicing. Mostly with lighting and rendering..

Post edited by thecampisi on