upgrading from 6 pro to 8 pro

rekhrekh Posts: 7
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hello,

I'm thinking about moving from 6 pro to 8 pro. Will my plug-ins work? Specifically a plug-in that allows me to import from Quidam (n-sided; out of business).

Comments

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    edited December 1969

No idea, but since Carrara 8 and 8.5 beta can be installed in different folders and work side by side, the same should work with C6 and C8.
    Just keep the old C6.

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

You'll have to update your plugins to a C8 version. Most of the plugins have C8 versions.

I don't have Quidam, but I know from a post on the old forum that N-sided did make a C8 plugin for it.. On the old forums they had a large thread that listed all the plugins that got updated for C8 and links to them.

You could try seeing if any one has the plugin that they can send you or search for it on Goggle or see if you Waybackmachine N-sided web site that you can get it.

I'd keep C6 installed as was recommended.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Hi winter :)

It may be worth noting that Carrara 6,. and Carrara 8 are separate programs,. so and Upgrade to C8 will install into a New folder,. and not and will not effect Carrara 6, or 7,.

I have C6, C7, and C8 installed,. no conflicts.

so,. after installing C8,, you'll still be able to open C6 to have access to that plugin.

If the company which made your plugin is now gone,.... It's probably the end of the road for any future development

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited March 2013

I did some digging on the Quidam plug-in.

For C8the plug-in was made for Qidam 3 & 3.5

Only a 32 bit version was released.

The C8 version plug-in was released on 21, Dec 2010.

No idea where it can be downloaded since N-sided is out of business.. Waybacking the N-sided site doesn't help since the plug-in wasn't free, no download links for it are on the site. The C8 plugin upgrade was free from what I can tell if you had purchased the Carrara plugin for Quidam, for an older version of Carrara.

If you have Shoestring Shaders you can download a C8 version of them at.

http://www.des-web.net/html/beta.html

Post edited by Jay_NOLA on
  • rekhrekh Posts: 7
    edited March 2013

You folks are awesome!!!

Unfortunate about Quidam... worked very well with Carrara.

Thanks again, everyone.

*update*

...used the wayback machine to look at the plug-in page. Is this wishful thinking or does it state the plug-in will work from carrara version 4 pro through 8 pro? In other words, the plug-in I currently use with carrara 6 pro will work in 8 pro. Or am I trapped in a wish/hope loop? lol

plug.jpg
    700 x 213 - 132K
    Post edited by rekh on
    edited December 1969

Hi Winter :)

where's that snippet from ?

It does sound like they're saying that the single plugin is compatible with any version from 4 to 8,.

But it could also be ,. we have plugins which work across all those versions, ...but its not a single plugin,. ..it's a different plugin for each program version.

It's normally the latter,.. plugins are updated per version, so each program version requires a different plugin version.

You can always keep a copy of the Carrara 6 version which works with the plugin you have now,.

Carrara 7, or 8 are completely separate applications,. They don't uninstall C6,. ...they install into a "New Folder" .
    so,.. you can have C6 / C7 /C8 all installed and working on the same system without conflicts.

so there's no need to loose C6 or the plugin,. if you upgrade to C8.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,235
    edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    Hi winter :)

It may be worth noting that Carrara 6,. and Carrara 8 are separate programs,. so and Upgrade to C8 will install into a New folder,. and not and will not effect Carrara 6, or 7,.

I have C6, C7, and C8 installed,. no conflicts.

so,. after installing C8,, you'll still be able to open C6 to have access to that plugin.

If the company which made your plugin is now gone,.... It's probably the end of the road for any future development

Out of curiosity, Andy, is there a benefit to having all three installed - or even two, for that matter? Just wondering.
    I've left 7 Pro installed all during the pre 8 beta, and never used it because the 8 beta just worked better on my 64 bit OS. Now I find it harder and harder to load 8.1, except when working professionally, over 8.5beta.
    I have 6, 7, and 8 Pro versions - and would use 6 Pro and 7 Pro, too, if I had a reason.

Hmmm... now to find out what Quidam is! ;)

edited December 1969

HI Dartanbeck :)

Testing that stuff will work in different versions is the main reason I have them installed,.
    since C6 and 7 are only 32bit,. they can be a little slower to render, but occasionally I'll open C7 to model something while I'm rendering in C8.

Hmmm… now to find out what Quidam is!

isn't it a game,.. from that Harry Potter thing !

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,235
    edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    HI Dartanbeck :)

Testing that stuff will work in different versions is the main reason I have them installed,.
    since C6 and 7 are only 32bit,. they can be a little slower to render, but occasionally I'll open C7 to model something while I'm rendering in C8.Very cool. I may follow in that - just for testing and such.
    isn't it a game,.. from that Harry Potter thing !

No idea. I'd have to look it up.
  • rekhrekh Posts: 7
    edited March 2013

Thanks again, people.

I'm just gonna snag Carrara Pro 8 and keep pro 6 installed.

I'm on a 32 Imac. Pro 6 renders blasing fast, so I can only drool and imagine how fast it renders on a 64 bit machine.

I'm in process of re-learning Hexagon now that it's stable on my mac ... having fun.

Thanks again everyone.

Post edited by rekh on
  • I wanted Quidam for a long time, and after a long "vacation", come to find the site is down and is offered free? Any luck locating the plugin for Carrara, I just upgraded to the latest.