Dynamic Cloth in DS 4.5

davidcaputokeenedavidcaputokeene Posts: 131
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question but here goes. Tell me if I need to take it elsewhere.

Is Daz/Optitex the only dynamic rendering engine available in DS? Reason I ask is that it does not support .obj only apparently Optitex proprietary files. So this eliminates making clothes with Marvelous Designer and executing dynamic simulations with them in DS. Only stuff available are some freebies and some marketplace items. The pricing for the Optitex creation suite seems to be mysterious and one has to get a price from a sales rep - I was quoted $700 per month today. Needless to say that puts making clothes in Optitex out of the question.

Does anyone have information that contradicts this. I am actually really annoyed because I bought the dynamic cloth plugin and did not realize that it tied one to proprietary product only produced on a very expensive platform. Never occurred that .obj would not be supported. I can easily do this workflow - create cloth in MD - export to Poser - simulate dynamically in Poser.

I was really impressed with DS 4.5 which I just started using this week - LuxRender and Garibaldi hair being standouts from Poser. But without self created dynamic cloth - it's a dead end for me.

Am I wrong in my conclusions? - I want to be. I would like to transfer to DS but as is I won't be staying and have wasted a couple of hundred on plugins and content. And the library nightmare with downloading content is incredibly confusing in DS. But if the rest was OK I could learn to live with that.

Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

dave43 said:
    I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question but here goes. Tell me if I need to take it elsewhere.

Is Daz/Optitex the only dynamic rendering engine available in DS? Reason I ask is that it does not support .obj only apparently Optitex proprietary files. So this eliminates making clothes with Marvelous Designer and executing dynamic simulations with them in DS. Only stuff available are some freebies and some marketplace items. The pricing for the Optitex creation suite seems to be mysterious and one has to get a price from a sales rep - I was quoted $700 per month today. Needless to say that puts making clothes in Optitex out of the question.

Does anyone have information that contradicts this. I am actually really annoyed because I bought the dynamic cloth plugin and did not realize that it tied one to proprietary product only produced on a very expensive platform. Never occurred that .obj would not be supported. I can easily do this workflow - create cloth in MD - export to Poser - simulate dynamically in Poser.

I was really impressed with DS 4.5 which I just started using this week - LuxRender and Garibaldi hair being standouts from Poser. But without self created dynamic cloth - it's a dead end for me.

Am I wrong in my conclusions? - I want to be. I would like to transfer to DS but as is I won't be staying and have wasted a couple of hundred on plugins and content. And the library nightmare with downloading content is incredibly confusing in DS. But if the rest was OK I could learn to live with that.

sorry to say - it's the only way .
    there is a 30 day return policy .

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

bigh said:
    dave43 said:

sorry to say - it's the only way .
    there is a 30 day return policy .

let me add there is a way to add Marvelous Designer cloth in DS . - link
    http://youtu.be/SabzGVsSRjc

• jaebeajaebea Posts: 454
    edited March 2013

Actually, you can animate Marvelous Designer 2 clothes for DS. I have done it. However, it just takes a little more work then the Optitex dynamics. Watch my video below. The skirt is an MD freebee. I used a couple dancing aniblocks. There are more detailed instructions in the MD forums on how to do it and it requires you to have the animation module in MD and a special script that someone developed and put in the freestuff at MD . Basically, you export your character with the animation as a collada object. Fit the clothing and run the animation for simulation. You can export the clothing as an object with the animation and import it into Daz using the script. The script creates a morph for each frame. You can tweak the morphs for finetuning. The only bad thing is that if you want to change the animation, you have to start over. This can be done in Carrara too. I am just starting on a music video animated in DS and Carrara and will be using the clothing I make in MD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p-FXUsU4T0

Post edited by jaebea on