Installing files: Metadata files or not?

ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664
edited December 1969 in New Users

So, I was running thru the Fiery Genesis Tutorial.
http://www.daz3d.com/create-fiery-genesis-in-daz-studio

And there were two files to install:

PC:
13162_FieryGenesisMetaData_1.1_ds.exe
13162_FieryGenesis_1.1_ds.exe

Mac:
FieryGenesisMetaData_1.1_ds.app
FieryGenesis_1.1_ds.app

I couldn't find instructions on if just the regular file or the MetaData file needed to be installed. I wound up just doing both (and I think the files were actually already installed when I installed DS4.5 in the first place).

What should I have done? Which is the "important" file..are they both?

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

You never needed to install the Metadata files seperately, they were always included in the main installer, but it would not do any harm as such.

All Metadata files are now inluded and when you install using the DIM, they are put directly into the Database, so you don't even get a Metadata loading page the next time you open DAZ Studio.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

You never needed to install the Metadata files seperately, they were always included in the main installer, but it would not do any harm as such.

Hmm... if that's the case then why does a good 80% of my downloadable content come with a separate metadata installer? It's useless for Poser, so if it's already included with the main download, it would be superfluous. At any rate, I've always installed both and it gives me the needed metadata dialogue on load. I might just put that theory of yours to the test though, and see if it's really true.
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,563
    edited December 1969

If you're using DS4.5, the Fiery Genesis tutorial is already built into Genesis Starter Essentials. You only need to install it if you're using DS4.0

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited February 2013

yes,, some contents in daz shop are already included as default contents.

then,, Fiery Genesis Tutorial is already included in Genesis Starter Essentials.
    if you insatll it,, you may make duplicate files, and duplicate meta-data and some orphan files ^^;
    so if you use 4.5 do not touch and install it.

==================
    ah sorry,,, Jimmy is right,, I checked it now,, it cause no problem ,, just install same light and camera dsa files .
    which already installed as duf. and make product metat-data of the Fiery Genesis Tutorial
    but you may need not install them.

and,,
    Hi,, Herald,, if you download by DIM,, now DAZ offer new zip (which include meta-data ,if the product have meta-data already)
    but about installer which from your downloadable product in your account page,,
    about some product are offered as you said. (meta-data and product instalelr)
    and about some old product are offered as old zip (no meta-data) still.

so,, when I uninstalled contents,, these different type uninstaller (or no uninstaller) confused me ^^;,,

Post edited by kitakoredaz on
    edited December 1969

I haven't actually downloaded the Install Manager. Truth be told, I tend to download content almost immediately after buying it, so I'm just too used to going to the download screen and getting the files.

edited December 1969

Hmm... if that's the case then why does a good 80% of my downloadable content come with a separate metadata installer? It's useless for Poser, so if it's already included with the main download, it would be superfluous. At any rate, I've always installed both and it gives me the needed metadata dialogue on load. I might just put that theory of yours to the test though, and see if it's really true.

It was thought, at the very beginning, that it would be a good idea to have the Metadata seperate as well, so that if there were any changes to Metadata alone, then you only had to redownload one small file, and not the whole lot, but to the best of my knowledge, from very early on, Metadata was included in the main installer.

I never downloaded seperate Metadata files once I found this out, and my Metadata always worked. The new DIM is even better in that respect, as it intalls the Metadata as well (into the Database), and you don;t get a pop-up screen when running DAZ Studio about the Metadata.

• BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

It was thought, at the very beginning, that it would be a good idea to have the Metadata seperate as well, so that if there were any changes to Metadata alone, then you only had to redownload one small file, and not the whole lot, but to the best of my knowledge, from very early on, Metadata was included in the main installer.

I never downloaded seperate Metadata files once I found this out, and my Metadata always worked. The new DIM is even better in that respect, as it intalls the Metadata as well (into the Database), and you don;t get a pop-up screen when running DAZ Studio about the Metadata.When metadata was introduced; they were in separate installers. It was several months before DAZ started including metadata in the main installers.

edited December 1969

They are still in seperate installers for some things, that does not mean that they are not in the main installer as well.

If you don't believe what I have written, fair enough.

• BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Your comment made it sound like the metadata was included in the main installer from the get-go; which was not the case.

edited December 1969

BWSman said:
    Your comment made it sound like the metadata was included in the main installer from the get-go; which was not the case.

Does this mean that older content doesn't include the metadata in the installer, or has everything since been updated to require the one installation?
  • ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664
    edited December 1969

I guess a good question for me to ask is "What is the metadata"?

(I did download Install Manager when I was doing the set up...the dl of Daz Studio I had was older than newest, so I figured I'd start from the beginning. Getting the app seemed to point me to Install Manager...which I learned does not install the actual Studio Program. I also didn't have the Fiery Genesis available to it, though I guess it's just lumped with Genesis Starter, which I did install).

edited December 1969

Quick answer:

Metadata is what the CMS uses to populate the Smart Content pane. You can create and edit your own if you have the time and the inclination. There are many threads on this subject.

edited February 2013

Quick answer:

Metadata is what the CMS uses to populate the Smart Content pane. You can create and edit your own if you have the time and the inclination. There are many threads on this subject.

Content Management System?

So, if there's a choice, best to use the MetaData files?

Post edited by Scavenger on
    edited December 1969

I don't use the Smart Content pane very much, but the CMS is a vital part of DS4.5 I think. It also allows you to categorise your content in the way you want it, and I am sure that it uses the Metadata to do that.

Some people don;t use the CMS at all, but I find it very useful. It also controls the search function at the top of the Content Library pane which can also be useful at times. On the whole, I would keep the Metadata. The DIM isntalls it directly for you now too.

edited December 1969

I don't use the Smart Content pane very much, but the CMS is a vital part of DS4.5 I think. It also allows you to categorise your content in the way you want it, and I am sure that it uses the Metadata to do that.

What do you use then? it seems to be the only content list I see?

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Scavenger said:

What do you use then? it seems to be the only content list I see?The Window>Panes(Tabs)>Content Library tab. It shows all installed content but does not have the Smart feature. You must learn which folders (both Daz Studio Formats and Poser Formats) your items are in or use the Catagory feature (the Part that Needs the CMS) to group your items into a structure that works for you. I only use the Content Library (it's like the DS3 version) and then Catagory my content. The CMS is needed to use the Catagory feature in DS4 to DS4.5.

edited December 1969

The major downside with the Content Library is that it can take time to navigate and setting up figures tends to take longer since Poses (aka morphs+materials) are in a separate folder to the character you're loading, which is in a different folder to the outfits you're loading... and so on.

Memorizing my exhaustive catalog of items requires a Mensa-level IQ (I believe my IQ of 130 is just a touch below the requirement), so the Smart Content pane helps considerably with finding everything, as well as speeding up my workflow.