OBJ Files in Freebies

BendinggrassBendinggrass Posts: 1,367
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hello Everyone.

From what I understand, DAZ items, such as V4, are OBJ files.
Are these same OBJ files used in Poser?

When I read that a freebie is an OBJ file, does that indicate it is compatible with D4 and PP2012?
As a file only, does it have an installer, or should it simply be zipped/unzipped into the Runtime?

Thanks
R

Comments

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

OBJ files have to be added via the import menu. Poser does actually load OBJ files whenever you add a CR2 to your scene, the CR2 just contains additional information such as what textures to use, and what available sliders there are amongst other things.

OBJ is just the model itself, it doesn't contain any texture information beyond UV maps for the mesh, so it might need some manual tweaking before it's ready to render.

• BendinggrassBendinggrass Posts: 1,367
    edited December 1969

OBJ files have to be added via the import menu. Poser does actually load OBJ files whenever you add a CR2 to your scene, the CR2 just contains additional information such as what textures to use, and what available sliders there are amongst other things.

OBJ is just the model itself, it doesn't contain any texture information beyond UV maps for the mesh, so it might need some manual tweaking before it's ready to render.

Thanks Mr. H.

So both DS4 and PP2012 have import ability I believe.
    There is no incompatability between the OBJ and DAZ DS4 and Poser2012 programs then.
    Thanks.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

OBJ is the industry standard for importing and exporting 3D meshes from one 3D program to another. As HoF says, it hold the geometry information, and the uv map information, but no rigging or morphs. Poser uses a CR2 file to load OBJs, and so generally, does DAZ Studio.

OBJ files often come as a pair with a .MTL file, which can hold information of where the OBJ can find the related textures.