DIM: really need to uninstall?

edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I have read several times the need to uninstall everything. I am patiently doing that.
No matter how many items I uninstall, DIM still says I have 1978 ready to download.
I have tried refreshing that number, and/or restarting DIM. Also, looking at the list of
downloadable products, I see many that I know have not been uninstalled.

Thanks,
Stan

Comments

• hermana5hermana5 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hi Stan, as a newbie myself the way i believe it works is that DIM holds files that are ready to install now because these have all been updated from your account (though i believe not all our purchases are ready yet???)....this number only increases when Daz has done the updates of other files..............so when you are uninstalling the figure won´t change (at least mine didn´t) hopefully one of the experienced ones will respond soon.

• RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited December 1969

If you are uninstalling using the original uninstallers, then the DIM won't be able to recognise what is happening. What the DIM is able to process and track is the content it downloaded and installed by itself. This may make things quite tedious in the transition phase, depending on how large your already installed content is and how you'd like to use the DIM.

Personally I am going for a different route, but it is a bit more complicated with using a "dummy" installation folder for DIM and eventually merging the dummy and my original content folder selectively. I am doing that as I modified some DAZ content which I don't want to have overwritten by DIM.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,385
    edited December 1969

If you do that then DIM won't be able to notify you of updates.

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    If you do that then DIM won't be able to notify you of updates.

Not sure if that was a response to my procedure, so bear with me if that was aimed at someone else.

I will actually get notifications as DIM believes to have installed it on its own. I still let it have those data files which its uses for its own tracking.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,385
    edited December 1969

ok I'm not understanding. DO you plan to install to a separate folder and then "copy" the data to your library? As long as you don't move the metadata you will be fine.

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    ok I'm not understanding. DO you plan to install to a separate folder and then "copy" the data to your library? As long as you don't move the metadata you will be fine.

Correct, I install to a separate "dummy" folder with CMS being disabled, thus MetaData won't get installed. Then I move the content selectively over to my original content folder and ignore the MetaData. DIM still thinks it is installed even though the actual content is no longer in the "dummy" folder.

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

Hi,, renpatsu,,:)

I think it may work fine. ( but I just manually uninstall all ,and re install on my library
    to reflesh all contents ^^; Because there were many old dsf legasy file,
    or for poser file (which I have not used,,)

thenn,, I want to ask,,,,
    how you plan to uninstall contents for future up-date?

eg,, you manually install zip from dummy folda to your contents folda. then delete zip.

when daz or vendor will release new version of zip.
    you can find the new up-date version by DIM, but how you uninstall old version?
    or we need not uninstall about daz offer zip files any more?

just manually new version zip on the folda,, it overwrite , and there is no problem about meta-data?
    or you never use meta-data,, daz and vendor offered?

(you manage by your self about all meta-data)

edited December 1969

Yes, I don't use MetaData at all, I use my own categories.

As for uninstallation, in general for the basic function of 99.9% of the content I don't uninstall. This is also why I never installed an uninstaller in general before, those were simply cluttering up disk/screen space. Should it be absolutely necessary to uninstall some specific content, then I install with uninstaller - or in the DIM case install directly to my content directory again - and uninstall.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Yes, your method will work -- when DIM installs an item it saves a manifest file showing what it installed, and it uses than manifest to check for updates. Even if the content is no longer where DIM installed it, DIM can check for updates (although of course it can't uninstall the item).