obj's and morphs and DS4.5 ... oh my!

KirtemorKirtemor Posts: 25
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

i have a morph i downloaded from Sharecg... the .rar file is only a .obj file and a .mtl file. I have tried to use morph loader advanced and pro and it doesn't load on michael 4, the figure the file was meant for. i think it was made in poser. How do i make morphs in ds 4.5 with just an obj?

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

A link to the product would help us to guide you on this.

• BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I've had a similar problem with some Laura 3 morph targets.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

One of the problems is that depending on the software used and the settings, the import or export could have altered the vertex order, edge order or a number of other things. So without knowing the exact export path, things can be difficult to diagnose. There's also the fact that the morph could have been made on a different version of the base mesh. Also knowing the exact error message or how it isn't working can help...

If it loads but doesn't do anything, that can be one thing. If it loads but 'explodes' the mesh...that's something else.

• BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

In my case; it loads but doesn't do anything. I can do the same thing in DS3 & it will work.

Work flow:
    1. load figure & select bone
    2. Open morph loader & browse to the folder containing the Morph target objects.
    3. select morph target & load into DS.

Rhe slider appears; but moving it does not change anything.

• KirtemorKirtemor Posts: 25
    edited February 2013

the morph in question is one of wert's alien morphs. A cardassian.
    I found out the cardassian morph is from Poser 7. the error message I get says "One or more files failed to load." or it loads and then does nothing. no slider, no nothing. i'm still learning morph loader, and the tutorial is for an older version. any help is appreciated.

I have discovered that the .obj file in question may be corrupted or just plain bad. Trying to locate a better copy. To see if that fixes the issue.
    but learning how to import it using morph loader advacned or pro is still important to me. Thanks

Post edited by Kirtemor on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Werts morphs were all removed from share cg. They are indeed Poser specific, and will not work in DS. ,

They were done using an old Poser technique,which is not used by anyone any more, in quite an early version of poser

• KirtemorKirtemor Posts: 25
    edited December 1969

well, darnnit and dagnabbit! i guess i'm barking up the wrong tree... thanks anyway.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Werts morphs were all removed from share cg. They are indeed Poser specific, and will not work in DS. ,

They were done using an old Poser technique,which is not used by anyone any more, in quite an early version of poser

Would this old Poser technique involve distributing the modified mesh? Seems a bit off to me if all that was included was the OBJ.
  • Tempest!Tempest! Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

Werts' morphs load fine using using the basic Morph loader in DS3. They don't seem to work with Morph Loader Pro though. I guess it doesn't support point clouds as morph targets?

The morph loaders in DS4.5.1.56 don't work properly at all with Gen4 (nor did they work in DS4.whateveritwas). I have plenty of V4 and M4 morph targets that I've created myself (and know the settings to) that work fine in DS3 but not in DS4.5. They just make the mesh blow up.

It seems (based on quick testing) that morph targets with bones welded load right as well as morph targets that only affect a single node. So, apparently when DAZ removed the "DAZ Studio Exported" options ("Used Bone Welds", "Removed unused vertices") included in Morph loader Pro in DS3, they effectively broke all morph targets that don't have those settings enabled.

With earlier version of DS4 I had morphs load and dials spin with nothing happening or a FBM only affect the hip. Buggy, buggy, buggy.