More than one Genesis in scene

SkyshorrSkyshorr Posts: 28
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hi folks, I have had some trouble putting more than 1 genesis figure into a scene.
Things seem to slow down alot, and often the scene crashes during render.
I call this slowing down, a sort of heaviness, overload.
I have noticed that figures seem to 'lighten up' when I parent all clothes and hair into the Genesis figure.
What I am saying is that, the scene tab no longer lists, Genesis, then the hair type, then clothes shoes, etc.
The list in the scene tab is only Genesis.
Is this idea correct?, that by parenting items, the figures use up less power?

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,383
    edited December 1969

What are your system specs?

• SkyshorrSkyshorr Posts: 28
    edited December 1969

Thanx for the reply.
    I am running XP 32 bit, 3.0 ghz chip.
    4 gb ram, Quadro 580 card.
    Lots of space.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

I have no idea what parenting items that are already fitted to Genesis would do, I can't see how it would help

The viewport uses OpnGL for it's display, and according to the web, your card has 512 MB of memory. It may not be enough. Genesis is fairly low polygon, about 19,00 at base level, compared to V4 who was about 70,000

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

XP Home or XP Pro?

Is that a 1 GB version of the video card?

If you are running a 32 bit version of XP you are limited to less than 4 GB of usable RAM...XP will reserve the top 1 GB for itself (leaving you starting at 3 GB) and a 1 GB video card will eat up close to another gig, due to the way XP maps the addresses (at least without the 3 GB switch...which, according everything I've ever heard was usable on Pro only). So you are starting out at about 2 GB...and that's not counting any other running apps, DS or any textures loaded.

edited December 1969

I do use alot of V4 and M4 clothes and hair.
    I have also noticed wierd stuff, such as the render crashing when 3Delight reaches the eyes!
    This happens with Daz Horse 2, also.
    Say, while we are chatting- If a 'Prop' or 'Actor' looks good - as it is - , should 'mats' which are provided always be aplied?
    And one more please!
    Do you know how to adjust the mouth area of Genesis short beard or M4 long beard?
    The pictures in the advertisements have the characters with their mouths open, yet I cannot figure out how to move the beard and 'Stache' when the characters mouth is open.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

I think the 32-bit part may be significant; my system specs are similar to yours--worse actually--except that mine is 64-bit. And while it's slow, I can manage up to nine Genesis figures. A couple of tricks that may help...

* Leave your figures untextured, undressed, and un-haired as long as possible, ideally adding the textures, clothes, and hair just before rendering
    * Or, switch the view from "Texture Shaded" to something less resource-intensive, such as wireframe or smooth shaded. The control to do this looks like a little sphere with a dropdown menu triangle, next to the camera menu on the viewport.

Not sure what to suggest about the render crashes. You could try upgrading to the latest version of DS (if you don't have it already)...that might help. I know that on my system, upgrading from DS4.0 to DS4.5 helped a lot.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

I've had the same issues with Short Beard for Genesis...I found a thread with some information that may help you: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/10457/

edited December 1969

WOW!, This stuff sounds great.
    I first purchased Daz Pro 4, then intalled 4.37?
    Then 4.5 35?----- Something like that, is there a newer version?
    Also I have noticed that - since installing the latest - the new genesis essentials box ( In the smart content tab)
    has a yellow yield triangle and exclamation/ question mark on it.
    The content is there when I ckick on it, yet I wonder If I should re install?
    All of my evolution morphs for shaping disapeared - from the shaping tab - when I installed the latest 4.5.
    They are available in the parameters, so I have not freaked out.
    I have assumed they are issues with the version.
    PS, My computer is at home so I am a bit sketchy on some stuff here, at a net cafe.
    Non the less thanx to all. For real!

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Did you update only the D|S program? The Genesis Essentials have also been updated, this should really be done to match the D|S version.

Also, you mentioned the Evolution morphs: it sounds like you don't have the update for this either. One gotcha, due to the nature of the update, you must uninstall the old Evolution morph sets before installing the new ones.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

OKAY, NO matter what, the more figures you add to a scene, the more bogged down it is going to get. What you can do is make figures invisible while you work. Make clothing invisible when interacting with two characters at once. If a character is touching the other character's clothing, make the clothing visible and the underlying character invisible. This will dramatically speed up your computer. and just make everything visible when you are ready to render.

edited December 1969

Hi folks, thanx for the tips, they are working.
    Do any of you know about a step by step instruction to uninstalling?
    I have to uninstall an old version of both evolution morphs and the forest.
    I plan do a major clean up soon, yet must complete some character scenes before I take the risk of losing them is a overhall.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Easy Uninstall: Re-Install the set (Items) you have installed, Make sure you pick Create Uninstaller (it will just install over your other installed files unless you have moved them in the folders by hand) once that is done browse with a file broswer to the My Library folder (or your content folder) and open the Uninstallers folder. Run the Uninstaller.

This is foolproof as long as you have not moved files in the folders by hand.

If you did not Keep the installers for the content I'm afraid I can only suggest finding the ReadMe file and then Delete each folder that is listed in the View Files Installed section of the readme.

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404
    edited December 1969

One thing that has helped me with clearing up render crashes is to render to RIB and then do my final render using the free 3DLight standalone render engine, opposed to the built-in one in Daz.

• BlackFeather1973BlackFeather1973 Posts: 739
    edited December 1969

Skyshorr said:
    I have noticed that figures seem to 'lighten up' when I parent all clothes and hair into the Genesis figure.
    What I am saying is that, the scene tab no longer lists, Genesis, then the hair type, then clothes shoes, etc.
    The list in the scene tab is only Genesis.
    Is this idea correct?, that by parenting items, the figures use up less power?

No, they just move to a different place in the scene tab. You can click the arrow in front of Genesis in the scene tab to expand the hierarchy, in there you'll find the parented items.
    parented.jpg
    306 x 451 - 62K