Crashing while posing character

seanspark1seanspark1 Posts: 0
edited January 2013 in New Users

When posing Gabi V5 arms to normal position, DAZ3D 4.5 goes "not responding". The character disapears and justs hangs forever. I edited the Gabi character, just added genitals, hair, and makeup that was included with 4.5 pro bundle. I had to reload Daz because the content manager was not working, it did not seem to crash before the reload. Any ideas?

I was in Animate2 screen, and it appears it happens when you go beyond the limits of the arm movement, don't know why.

Windows XP Home
NVidia EVGA GTX 450 1.2G Vid
Intel Dual core
4 Gig mem
Gigabyte MB

Post edited by seanspark1 on

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

I think you would need to look in the Task Manager to see how much or your RAM is left when working with this character. You are using XP Home, which can only see 2 GB of memory since it is a 32 bit OS, you may be able to use the /3GB switch to get a little more.

When you load DS 4.5, add your figure, hair etc, how much memory is it using? Are you using any liights in the Scene, and if so, which ones?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

When posing Gabi V5 arms to normal position, DAZ3D 4.5 goes "not responding". The character disapears and justs hangs forever. I edited the Gabi character, just added genitals, hair, and makeup that was included with 4.5 pro bundle. I had to reload Daz because the content manager was not working, it did not seem to crash before the reload. Any ideas?

I was in Animate2 screen, and it appears it happens when you go beyond the limits of the arm movement, don't know why.

Windows XP Home
    NVidia EVGA GTX 450 1.2G Vid
    Intel Dual core
    4 Gig mem
    Gigabyte MB

Unfortunately you are starting out with somewhere between 1.75 and 2.5 GB of RAM for program use...XP is going to grab 1 GB off the top...and since you are running XP Home there's nothing you can do about that...the 3 GB switch doesn't work on Home...just Pro. And if you have any background programs running they can eat up even more.

DS 4.5 is going to use between 250 and 600 MB, without any figures, textures, etc...plus if you've edited things, changed textures and what not, the 'undo' buffer is going to eat a lot of RAM. It's best, that once you are done 'editing' that you save the scene and restart DS. This clears the undo and texture caches and reloads just what is currently being used That will free up some RAM...then when you are done posing, repeat before rendering.

• seanspark1seanspark1 Posts: 0
    edited January 2013

Ok, let me re explain, it seems some go off on a tangent on forums. I realise the XP limits of RAM, I run 4gig, yes, the word on the street is confusing to say the least about what XP handles, if you Google it, and the /3gb switch, you will be even more confused, lol.
    I do run a /3gb switch on the Boot.ini, despite the fact that Microsoft in some pages say it only works for Sever 2003, ect, and then has a page to enable it for XP, go figure MS at its best. Granted some of these may be the date to which they were posted. But it does not say it only works for PRO edition, if I am correct. Here is some confusing reading on the subject:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff556232.aspx

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Search/en-US?query=/gb switch for windows xp&Refinement=19&ac=8

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx

Anyway, to get back to the specific problem, let me explain. I first loaded DAZ3d 4.5 a few days back, the overall experience was extremely confusing when I purchased the $125 Victoria Pro Bundle, and saw the myriad of files to load, w/o proper documentation as to which file to load. After some digging, I loaded the DS files, and ignored the legacy and Poser files. Started DAZ3d 4.5, dug around and explored, ran fine, NO crashing, poses, adding textures, clothing, ect. But I noticed, as to I see others have noticed the Content Manager failed to show icons in the pane. I figured it was because I selected another drive location when installing. I don't want it on my C drive. Tried the rebuilds, ect, still failed, so uninstalled it all, with the uninstall files, reloaded ALL to another drive location. AFTER this is when the problem started, it seemed it was when I moved an arm in Animate2, the character disappeared off the screen, and the hour glass icon appeared, and DAZ went "Not Responding" . Today while checking it happened when I just rotated the Gabi character I made, just genitals add on, and Bubblegum hair on her. I now get an missing file error window when loading Gabi saying:

"Somae assets needed to load the file are missing. The content may not work as expected.
    The following files could not be found. "

/data/DAZ 3D/Genesis/Base/Morphs/DAZ 3D/Evolution/PHMLipTopPeak.dsf
    (and others, too many to list here, in this missing directory)

There is no EVOLUTION folder at the loacation described above.
    So I am not sure what is causing this, but I suspect it is a poorly coded Content Manger possibly, install exe's, ? if not, I don't know, what then could it be?
    Let me further say, I run Maya 6.0, Blender 2.63, Sketchup 8.0, and several resource hogging programs for years with out very much trouble.
    Sorry for the lengthy post, but it seems it is hard to tranfer the knowledge through these posts, and some don't see the facts.

Physical Memory (K) Running DAZ3d (crashed state while just rotating character)
    Total 3668396 same
    Available 2602372 2078204
    System Cache 1113132 1679820

Kernal Memory (K)
    Total 185128 191656
    Paged 137284 143040
    NonPaged 47840 48616

Commit Charge (K)
    Total 1255672 1912608
    Limit 18178184 same
    Peak 1569900 2002000

Totals
    Handles 12378 13260
    Threads 497 501
    Processes 30 32

edited December 1969

Just a quick answer here about Gabi. On the Product Page for Gabi it says:

!This product requires:
    Genesis Evolution: Head Morphs,
    Victoria 5,
    Genesis Evolution: Body Morphs

I have the folder that your scene file needs to load, it is in data\DAZ 3D\Genesis\Base\Morphs\DAZ 3D\Evolution, and I have it because I also bought the Evolution Head and Body Morphs. If you do not have these morphs, you need them, but if you do, you will probably need to reinstall them into the 'My Library' folder.

edited January 2013

Hmmm, OK, Thanks JimmyC, I did now purchase the Evolution Head Morphs seperately, but I have purchased the Victoria Pro Bundle that included Gabi, don't know if it is included in that bundle. I wonder if this may be causing the crashes? Strange thing is, this error did not show up on the first install, only when the second re install of all my products and Daz3d 4.5, done to fix the broken content manger. No doubt the CM is now noticing the missing files for Gabi. I also have noticed, so far, this crash only seems to happen on the Gabi character, not totally sure yet, but the default Genisis character, nothing added, did not crash while posing in a short session of experimenting.

edited December 1969

Hopefully with the Evolution morphs installed, Gabi wont be a problem any more.

If she is, just post again, and we'll see if we can help more. If it does cause problems again, you could try re-downloading the V5 package (is that what Gabi is in?) in case it has been updated.

edited December 1969

Well another $32.95 spent, bought the Evolution Morphs bundle, got rid of the missing files error pop up.. but still on posing, randomly makes Gabi character disappear, hour glass appears, DAZ3d goes "not Responding. Completely frustrated, POed, and lost to the solution. ARRRRRGGGG !!! :(

edited December 1969

I just had another look at Gabi, I thought I had it but I don't, and it is just a texture set for V5. It uses the V5 base for Genesis.

There are some very large texture files with it, and I am afraid that this may cause memory problems for you on XP Home. Can you please load DAZ Studio, and V5 with the Gabi textures, and before you dod anything else, have a look in the Task Manager to see how much memory is left (or being used)

To load the Task Manager, you can use Ctrl+Shift+Esc, or even Alt+Ctrl+Del. Then go to the Performance tab, and see how much memory is being used.

edited January 2013

OK, hmmm I posted that already.. 4th post. Let me say again, I had NO problems, ran for days, Gabi had no pose problems, before I reloaded everything, because the content manager screwed up and was not working. I even started a fresh Gabi, NOTHING added to her, still crashed and froze at random movement actions.I really don't think it is a memory issue. I run several resource hogging programs, Maya 6.0, Blender 2.63, Sketchup 8.0, Seacond Life, Crysis, Black Ops, Oblivion, Flight Simulator, MOTU 2048 HD recording, Cubase VST 32 ( 24 tracks, 8 tracks recording 16 bit 44.1k stereo, at once, with mutible playing back simutaneously), Wavlab, sometimes these are running the same time, not an issue.

edited December 1969

Yes, I saw that post, but it seems to be saying that you have 2GB of free memory, and you should only have 2GB at the best of times with nothing loaded at all. Win XP home can only use 2GB in total, and DS4.5 and V5 plus the Gabi textures should be using a large chunk of that.

The only other thing that I can suggest, is to reset you purchase of Gabi from your Itemised Order History (click on the Reset button), and download and install it again. There may be some kind of problem with it.

If you think it is the CMS that is causing the problem, you can 'Stop' CMS from the Start > All Programs > DAZ 3D menu, then load DS4.5 and Gabi, and try that.

The other thing, and I don't know if you tried this, is to reinstall DS4.5, but BEFORE you do that, uninstall the CMS from the Start menu. The DS4.5 installer doesn't change the CMS, it has to be uninstalled first on it's own, then the DS4.5 installer will put the latest version in for you.

Please give that a go, and see if it helps any.