Short Animation Combining Carrara with Captured Game Footage

Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,191
edited December 1969 in Art Studio

This is a test of the Elgato Game Capture device for the Xbox360 and PS3 game consoles. The 3D animation segments were done in Carrara using mostly DAZ3D Poser elements. The games used are listed with the video.

http://tinyurl.com/ad2a6aw

Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Steve K said:
    This is a test of the Elgato Game Capture device for the Xbox360 and PS3 game consoles. The 3D animation segments were done in Carrara using mostly DAZ3D Poser elements. The games used are listed with the video.

http://tinyurl.com/ad2a6aw

fun one - different for sure :-)

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,191
    edited December 1969

bigh said:

fun one - different for sure :-)

Thanks, bigh. I've decided that "different" is my genre. :ahhh:

This one is also a test of YouTube's policy on use of game footage. Ivy got a Youtube warning for one of her videos that did not even use game capture footage (YouTube apparently thought DAZ3D was a game or something). She straightened that out , but it made me curious about the policy - there are zillions of game capture videos on YouTube. I think its a matter of "monetizing" your videos, which I don't do and don't understand the details. So far (a half a day), no warnings from YouTube. I don't expect any, but we'll see.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,330
    edited December 1969

where's the youtube link?

edited December 1969

where's the youtube link?

I used the tinyurl.com site to make it smaller in the first post, but here is the full YouTube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bv7hMnkApk&list=UUlMEK10oWdfqx6NaNAGJtFA&index=1

edited December 1969

Just to pass along my response to SciFiFunk on YouTube (Thanks!), asking if one of the segments is from Grand Theft Auto 4:

"Yes, the car jump is from GTA4. It was actually captured using the PC version's built-in video capture and editing feature. That has some advantages over capture devices like the ElGato (which is very nice), since it actually captures the 3D animation sequence, not just the video output to the monitor. That way, you can do things like change cameras in the middle of the sequence without having to replay the segment. Very cool."

That is the only capture in my video not done with the ElGato device. So if you decide to get GTA4 (one of the best games ever IMHO), and have a computer that can handle it, you might consider the PC version rather than a console version. At least, if you're interested in game capture footage.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,330
    edited December 1969

RockStar definitely knows how to make great games. I thought the car was going to take out that pedestrian, it looked that close.

edited December 1969

RockStar definitely knows how to make great games. I thought the car was going to take out that pedestrian, it looked that close.

Yes, GTA4 is the only game I can recall that got perfect 10/10 reviews, e.g. from Gamespot. Rockstar has had their share of difficulties (the book "Jacked" gives a good history), but the end products are pretty much as good as it gets for my taste (and no, not because of the violence).

I bought an XBox360 a few months back, mostly because GTA5 is coming out soon for consoles only, apparently. It came with the game "Skyrim" which also gets rave reviews. I agree its pretty good, but the realism of the graphics is not at the GTA4 level. "Lovely art design capped by some beautiful, atmospheric touches" (Gamespot, 9/10). Yes. Super-realism? No.

Maybe I should put together an "outake" video (like Pixar does for their animations !?!). I could show what happened when the car landed. The pedestrian made it, even though it turns out to be hard to steer an airborne car. But otherwise ... (Hint: I had to get another car.)
    :coolcheese: