DAZ Studio slowing - requires restart

marblemarble Posts: 7,449
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

As far back as I remember (I think I've been playing with this software, on and off, since 2005) I've noticed that the longer I work on a scene, the slower the response becomes. Eventually I need to save everything and restart.

I seem to remember way back that there were memory problems where used memory space would not be released and paging in and out became an issue which slowed down the response times. I'm no software expert so I can't really comment, but it seems to me that whatever the problem, it has not been solved. I can say that the longer I work, the more I notice the disk activity. This might be explained by paging in and out, I don't know for sure, but I note that the disk is constantly beavering away in the background. I thought it might be Windows doing a scan or doing some indexing but I checked and made sure the indexing service was turned off and that there was so scan scheduled. Besides. the disk activity stops when D|S is closed.

My system is Windows 7 Pro 64bit, i7 8 core and 8Gb memory so it should be up to the task. The symptoms, by the time I decide to restart, are: camera rotation slow and jerky, joint movement (bend and arm, turn the head, etc.) so unresponsive that I think I have not actually made a change - then it will suddenly jerk to some extreme position.

Comments

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Can't say I've experienced that before, and I'm also using Windows 7. I do get slowness and jerkiness at times, but only with particularly heavy scenes with lots of characters, and reloading never speeds it up as it does in your case. As such it's hard to suggest ways to fix it. I'd be interested to see if other's have experienced this problem before though. Perhaps there's a common factor between your systems causing it to grind down.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited December 1969

Can't say I've experienced that before, and I'm also using Windows 7. I do get slowness and jerkiness at times, but only with particularly heavy scenes with lots of characters, and reloading never speeds it up as it does in your case. As such it's hard to suggest ways to fix it. I'd be interested to see if other's have experienced this problem before though. Perhaps there's a common factor between your systems causing it to grind down.

Agreed - I thought it significant that this complaint is not common here so there may be something about the way I have installed it or - well, I have no idea really. I do know that this has been a feature since I started using the software and I have replaced my PC three times since then.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

What version of DS?

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    What version of DS?

4.5.1.49 - A beta, I think. I installed it because the standard version was crashing regularly and this beta has proved more stable for me.

edited December 1969

What are the rest of the system specs?

Especially video card?

edited December 1969

Summary
    Operating System
    MS Windows 7 64-bit SP1
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 930 @ 2.80GHz 67 °C
    Bloomfield 45nm Technology
    RAM
    6.00 GB Triple-Channel DDR3 @ 763MHz (9-9-9-24) (My mistake - I though I had 8Gb)
    Motherboard
    ASUSTeK Computer INC. P6X58D-E (LGA1366) 58 °C
    Graphics
    VP2365WB (1920x1080@60Hz)
    512MB GeForce 9800 GT (CardExpert Technology) 39 °C
    Hard Drives
    352GB Seagate ST3360320AS ATA Device (SATA) 37 °C
    977GB Western Digital WDC WD10EADS-65L5B1 ATA Device (SATA) 33 °C
    Optical Drives
    HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50 ATA Device
    ELBY CLONEDRIVE SCSI CdRom Device
    Audio

edited December 1969

Post the full version info from the Help > About DAZ Studio screen...

How 'tech' are you? If you are rather techy, I've got a couple of ideas to try...

edited December 1969

I am not software savvy but ok with op systems and hardware.

About.jpg
    644 x 480 - 130K
  • wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

Try turning off multiple items in the scene, see if the problem remains. I find that if I turn off figures I'm not currently working with, speed improves dramatically.

edited December 1969

I take it you mean that I should make invisible the things that are not in shot? Oddly, I used to do that before I took a long leave of absence from this little hobby. Thank you for reminding me.

edited December 1969

marble said:

Well, in that case, give this a shot...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Basically what you want to do is monitor the memory usage and see what's going on when it starts bogging down...

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    marble said:

Well, in that case, give this a shot...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Basically what you want to do is monitor the memory usage and see what's going on when it starts bogging down...

Yes, I have that but I'm afraid that some things are a bit beyond me.

181641.jpg
    447 x 542 - 68K
  • wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

marble said:
    I take it you mean that I should make invisible the things that are not in shot? Oddly, I used to do that before I took a long leave of absence from this little hobby. Thank you for reminding me.

No. Anything you don't need at the moment. I make use of the MFMinvisibletree script that's around here somewhere a lot!

But say, I"m posing hands from one figure in contact with another. If that hand is in contact with another character's clothing, I'll make the character wearing that clothing invisible while I'm working. Speeds me up a lot.

edited December 1969

wancow said:
    marble said:

No. Anything you don't need at the moment. I make use of the MFMinvisibletree script that's around here somewhere a lot!

But say, I"m posing hands from one figure in contact with another. If that hand is in contact with another character's clothing, I'll make the character wearing that clothing invisible while I'm working. Speeds me up a lot.

Right - that makes sense. I'll look for that script - it would save a lot of mouse clicks :)

edited December 1969

Do a shot of the performance and gpu graphs...a shot of the threads list.

I'm trying to figure out why you've got a 2 GB 'swap' file (and it appears to be in use) when you are only using about 1.5 GB of physical memory...

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Do a shot of the performance and gpu graphs...a shot of the threads list.

I'm trying to figure out why you've got a 2 GB 'swap' file (and it appears to be in use) when you are only using about 1.5 GB of physical memory...

185351.jpg
    447 x 778 - 106K
    185452.jpg
    447 x 778 - 46K
    185558.jpg
    447 x 778 - 53K
    edited December 1969

Have to do stuff elsewhere right now. Thanks for the advice, guys ... I'll check back later (or tomorrow).