Hair Compatibilty Question

JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I posted this over in the Newbie forum, but maybe more visible to ask here as well...

JonnyRay said:
I've been away for a while, but the "PC for Free" thing brought me back this morning.

I'm looking at expanding my hair collection. I notice that there are typically one version of the hair for Genesis and one version for the "legacy" models. Is it really necessary to buy both? Or is it simply more convenient?

Example:

Elements Hair
and
Elements Hair for Genesis

Would like to make some purchases, but if I don't have to buy all the hair twice, I can afford more styles. :)

Comments

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

In the DAZ Store, in general, you don't need to make a second purchase unless it says you do. I don't have that hair, but I am pretty use the Genesis version is independent of the V4 version.

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744
    edited December 1969

I understand that it's not like the Genesis package is a "super-set" of the V4 package. I guess my question (for hair in particular) is, is it really NECESSARY to buy both? Or is it just more convenient?

For instance, I've used hair that was designed for V3 on V4 several times. It may not have the "fit" morphs, but by using the scaling and positioning controls, I could get it to work well enough without them.

Just wasn't sure if Genesis was so different in how it works with hair that it wouldn't be possible to get it to work.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited January 2013

JonnyRay said:
    I understand that it's not like the Genesis package is a "super-set" of the V4 package. I guess my question (for hair in particular) is, is it really NECESSARY to buy both? Or is it just more convenient?

For instance, I've used hair that was designed for V3 on V4 several times. It may not have the "fit" morphs, but by using the scaling and positioning controls, I could get it to work well enough without them.

Just wasn't sure if Genesis was so different in how it works with hair that it wouldn't be possible to get it to work.

You can definitely use non-Genesis hair on Genesis, or Genesis hair on other figures. Sometimes it's easy, sometimes it takes some work, but it's almost always possible. I have a tutorial (still a work in progress, but mostly complete) that explains how to use nearly any hair on nearly any figure. Hope this is useful!
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/5646/
    Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

There have been some items where the Genesis version is offered as a free update or a download option. In cases where a separate Genesis version is being charged for, I usually already have the Gen 4 version, so I take that and convert it to Genesis with Transfer Utility (very easy with Ram's method) and save it to library.

This does not work as well with long hairs, but so far a lot of the hairs offering this option are short and thus good TU candidates anyway.

If it's a hair you don't have either version of, which one will you use? If you don't really use Gen 4 just buy the Genesis one or vice versa.