OK, DAZ, seriously, what's going on?

12345679»

Comments

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Fenric said:
    They hate Carrara. See you on CarraraCafe, if you want to talk to me. Buh-bye.

Okay, well that's certainly not the light-hearted, happy talk that people in this forum want to hear.....

And BTW, does anyone have a clue what he's talking about? He sounds a little, well, miffed or something. Almost, well (and I hate to say it...) like a 'Gloomy Gus'.

>:(
    He is frustrated that DAZ forum police jump on threads to delete any "violation" of their commercial rules, yet DAZ can't update products through the store so we can download his additions to his products months after updates have been submitted.... He also mentioned an incident where many people were billed for PC memberships after they had cancelled (at a time when most people cancelled because the PC was becoming convoluted in its billing and benefits...).

In political terms we have a failed state. Moderators (our local authorities) heavily censor the forums by rules that are rather arbitrary (certainly not pro-software or pro-community, but generally work to protect D|S or to route customers back to D|S...), but DAZ HQ is a monkey house when it comes to their company and webstore and product QA.... Not really news, since we know this already, but it is a huge case of the left hand knowing nothing about what the right hand is doing... or the fact that people who were officially designated to speak to us have quit long ago in frustration while we hope and beg for an updated serial number each month... Yada yada.

Other longterm sellers of Carrara plugins have pulled their works from the DAZ store out of frustration.... The inagoni plugin bundle still gives you version 6 (5?) of the plugins and you have to go to his site to download the current versions, Hence Julian dropped the price of most his plugins to half (presumeably the 50% split he was sharing with DAZ) but didn't bother to remove the products from the DAZ store.... As of last night Fenric's plugins were still in the DAZ store. He has said he will work out a way to honor the licenses we bought through DAZ as he updates his plugins in the future...

Cafe is a bit clunky, but 3Drendero has been actively writing articles and tutorials. I will try to participate more... It is still "owned" by DAZ, but the whole reason it exists is because of the ridiculous forum rules here that are designed to protect D|S from competition, including its own siblings like Carrara.

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited January 2013

There hasn't been an actual carrara developer at DAZ since carrara 6 when they finished putting in the dynamic hair; that DAZ borked in C7.

Personally it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see carrara up for sale soon.

Post edited by ManStan on
    edited December 1969

Anyone remember Craig? Loved him....

edited December 1969

So what is the TOS policy for offering freebies for Carrara? Now that the Carrara FREEPOSITORY is deleted, and Fenric's offer of a freebie was deleted...

Are ALL freebies forbidden from these forums or WHAT?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited January 2013

Genuine Freebies can be offered here, on the Carrara forum, or in the General Freepository. the point in question is that the particular freebie you mention was part of a Commercial advert for a new site.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

Moderators (our local authorities) heavily censor the forums by rules that are rather arbitrary .

Yeah, I know what you mean. Just recently didn't somebody mention that he had been called, like, an ass, a jerk, obnoxious, a troll, and even a village idiot, just within, like, a week or something, but nobody blocked those posts? And I think there's a forum TOS rule that says something like "Attacks towards any forum member will not be tolerated" or something like that. And that you're not supposed to use profanity, and some other stuff like that...

So yeah, I guess it could be called a bit arbitrary in how they enforce those TOS things.

But then again, it's their site, not ours, so I guess we can't really complain too much.

Y'know, we'd better be careful, with talk like this they might delete our posts....

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Moderators (our local authorities) heavily censor the forums by rules that are rather arbitrary .

Yeah, I know what you mean. Just recently didn't somebody mention that he had been called, like, an ass, a jerk, obnoxious, a troll, and even a village idiot, just within, like, a week or something, but nobody blocked those posts? And I think there's a forum TOS rule that says something like "Attacks towards any forum member will not be tolerated" or something like that. And that you're not supposed to use profanity, and some other stuff like that...

So yeah, I guess it could be called a bit arbitrary in how they enforce those TOS things.

But then again, it's their site, not ours, so I guess we can't really complain too much.

Y'know, we'd better be careful, with talk like this they might delete our posts....

Y'know, there is a report function at the top right of each post. Unless there's a little fear of having your own posts scrutinized. :blank:

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,385
    edited December 1969

We can't catch everything. Use the report button

edited January 2013

And, by the way, I've been telling you guys since probably early last year, when they did the software giveaway, that DAZ is no longer a software company, and that Carrara's days are very likely numbered. And Paolo and I even explained how impossible that move made it for developers. So you shouldn't be surprised if they seem to be disregarding the software side of the house. But everyone prefers to believe otherwise, so go right ahead....

Post edited by JoeMamma2000 on
    edited December 1969

Y'know, there is a report function at the top right of each post. Unless there's a little fear of having your own posts scrutinized. :blank:

Ah, okay. It's my fault for not reporting.

I merely commented on the long term state of the moderation here. I've been personally attacked here for many years (including by you, Evil), and few of those posts have been removed. Whether I or anyone else reports it is totally irrelevant. The fact remains, personal attacks are rarely, if ever, moderated.

But I knew you guys would find a way to blame me....

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited January 2013

Hmmm.... Right. :roll:

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited January 2013

And, by the way, I've been telling you guys since probably early last year, when they did the software giveaway, that DAZ is no longer a software company, and that Carrara's days are very likely numbered. And Paolo and I even explained how impossible that move made it for developers. So you shouldn't be surprised if they seem to be disregarding the software side of the house. But everyone prefers to believe otherwise, so go right ahead....

Actually it has been off and on ever since DAZ acquired Carrara. DCG pulled his plugins in 2007(?) when he could not get his products updated through the store (he's since released at least 3 or 4 new plugins).... Inagoni slashed his prices, then proceded to add new features and fix bugs on his plugins (and release new ones)... There have been at least 3 different methods of updating Carrara (patches, updaters, and now resetting the store purchase), apparently because of store/QA issues but nothing because of any particular issue with Carrara.... There have also been at least 3 different Carrara "managers" that I remember, and a store product manager who tried to coordinate Carrara within the bigger scheme of things.... There were betas, and then a deluge of bugs, and then hundreds of bugs get fixed and then a new version with a dozen new features.... Weird new policies that are designed to promote certain products that Carrara doesn't fit into, and then attempts to correct those policies in Carrara's favor that end up limited only to DAZ content, then DAZ investing in publications, contests, magazines, even an alternate website... then it all goes away with a forum and store makeover.... Oh yes, and Carrara has been given away free at least 3 times in a magazine... Don't forget Carrara JR or Express or whatever.... I've been banned at least once for insisting the Mimic plugin be fixed after a year of not working at all... Oh yes, and D|S-Carrara compatability has come and gone at least 2x before this round....

It is not a sudden death and you are no genius of prediction, Cassandra. 8-/ We've all been watching the DAZ circus clowns since forever.... Grab a bag of popcorn. It will linger yet, I assure you.

Post edited by wetcircuit on
    edited December 1969

So tell, me, Evil...

When you've read those posts where I've been called a village idiot, or an ass, or a jerk, or any of those other posts where I've been attacked, have you ever reported them?

No?

Why not?

All good intentions, I'm sure.

edited December 1969

So tell, me, Evil...

When you've read those posts where I've been called a village idiot, or an ass, or a jerk, or any of those other posts where I've been attacked, have you ever reported them?

No?

Why not?

All good intentions, I'm sure.
    Let's go find them now. I would love to see who called you a village idiot. :smirk:

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470
    edited December 1969

Ok, I posted over in Carrara cafe...I'll give it a shot, versus posting here. :)

edited January 2013

Let's go find them now. I would love to see who called you a village idiot. :smirk:

I'll save you the trouble. It was Andy (3Dage) one of the forum's "most respected members". And he got off a few more in that exchange.

Though I'm sure you guys will find a way to spin this one, too....

Post edited by JoeMamma2000 on
    edited December 1969

I'll save you the trouble. It was Andy (3Dage) one of the forum's "most respected members". And he got off a few more in that exchange.
    Remind me to bake Andy a cake. LOL

The idea that Andy is bullying YOU Joe... :lol: that has cheered me up and given me a good laugh! Thank you! :kiss:

edited December 1969

Like I say, personal attacks are fine here. The moderators don't mind, and if it's against the right person, everyone applauds.

This is a 'community' in the same way that a bunch of 5 year olds on a playground is a community.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Though I'm sure you guys will find a way to spin this one, too....

who -
    http://youtu.be/wfmvkO5x6Ng

edited December 1969

Aww... even a bully can have his feelings hurt. :red:
    Do you ever go back and re-read some of your posts? I wonder..., sometimes I read mine and think "Ugh, stop talking." lol

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,863
    edited December 1969

This kind of exchange of pleasantries is not acceptable. If you are attacked, report the post; if you dislike members, ignore them (either with the forum function or by an act of will).

This discussion has been closed.