New User's Contest - December 2012

SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634

New User's Contest - December 2012
Sponsored by DAZ 3D and ARTCollaborations

Are you new to the 3D World? Are you at the beginning stages of learning 3D rendering? Have you been around for a little bit but feel you could benefit from some feedback or instruction? Have you been around awhile and would like to help other members start their creative journey? Well then come and join the fun as we host our newest contest...

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"The Festive Holiday Season"

This month’s contest is about how you celebrate this time of year, whether it’s the Christian Festival of Christmas, the Jewish festival of Hanukkah, the Islamic Eid marking the end of Ramadan, the Scandinavian Yule (Winter Solstice) and for Atheists, a time to gather and be with friends and family etc.

Intent: To make Festive Card showing what this time of year means to you.

I am not expert but in the spirit of learning we will be looking at Composition, the do and don’t of how to get the best from your images.

For a list of the current contest rules, please see this thread: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3440/

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

When working on your submissions, if you would like to get feedback as you work or before posting your final image, please post your image to the WIP THREAD. People will be popping in to the WIP THREAD to give you some critique and advice on your entry and help along the way. Please keep all comments on entries etc to the WIP THREAD as well because comments or requests for help/feedback/advice will be removed from the contest thread and merged into the WIP THREAD. This thread is only for posting final contest submissions.

For those veterans of the forums that would like to help, because this contest is designed for the beginner to learn from, we will be randomly selecting posts offering helpful tips and/or critiques to receive a special voucher as well so whether you are a seasoned artist or an aspiring one, there is fun for everyone!

"We would like to thank ARTCollaborations who has graciously decided to sponsor this month’s contest" They will be awarding a special prize to the winners of this month’s "The Festive Holiday Season" contest. To view some of ARTCollaborations items please see their store front here ARTCollaborations Store

Closing Date: December 31th 2012

Post edited by frank0314 on

Comments

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Final contest submission. It's been a lot of fun, and this is probably the render I've spent the most time on this year. There were a lot of variations with the lighting and choice of render engine, but in the end 3Delight won out and I learned the beauty of 7-point lighting thanks to some nifty tutorials (Thanks Dreamlight!).

There was a lot of fresh things to learn over the course of making this image, and I can put those new skills to work on future renders. Win or lose, it's been a lot of fun working on this image so I hope you enjoy it. Merry Christmas everyone!

Xmas_Final_(Really).jpg
    800 x 800 - 406K
  • kittenwyldekittenwylde Posts: 151
    edited December 1969

To me, Christmas is always filled with music, whether or not I actually break out any instruments and play them.

Image title: Pearl Street Christmas
    Software used: DAZ Studio, Photoshop

deccontest4.jpg
    600 x 800 - 345K
  • Security16Security16 Posts: 79
    edited December 1969

Title: Christmas cuddles
    Software : Daz studio 4.5

Xmas2012.jpg
    703 x 800 - 379K
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Title: Merry Christmas from the Hominid Family
    Software Used: Daz Studio 4.5, GIMP

hominids1h-pw4.jpg
    800 x 800 - 383K
  • GrazeGraze Posts: 418
    edited December 1969

Title: The Sounds of Christmas
    Software: Daz Studio, Photo Explosion

X-mas_Card_2.JPG
    680 x 798 - 352K
  • IlenaIlena Posts: 280
    edited December 1969

Title: Their first Christmas eve
    Done with: daz 3 and CS5

decembar_takmicenje.jpg
    800 x 591 - 380K
    edited December 1969

my second entry

Title: Season's Greetings
    Software used: DAZ Studio 4.5, Bryce 7.1, GIMP 2.6

seasons2d.jpg
    600 x 800 - 374K
  • edited December 1969

Title: Daleks Enjoying New Years Eve

Rendered in DS4.5 - Postwork to add some glow to the scene (thanks Szark)

Dalek1.jpg
    800 x 566 - 119K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Contest Closed

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,385
    edited December 1969

The Winners are:

1st - Merry Christmas by HeraldOfFire
    2nd - Season's Greetings by Scott-Livingston
    3rd - The Sounds of Christmas by Mr Loeng

Congratulation to the winners and all who took part in this months contest.

The three winners will need to contact me by PM and give me your DAZ account email and a link to the product of ARTCollaborations you would like.

edited December 1969

Congratulations to HeraldofFire and Mr Leong, and to everyone for making some beautiful holiday images!

Thank you, Szark, for facilitating the contest (and sorry to hear about your computer!), and Frank and Ann for sponsoring. :)

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited January 2013

Thx Frank and Ann for sponsering this month and congratulations to you all.

My Pleasure Scott anf thx for comments about my poor lamented computer may she rest in peices. :)

Post edited by Szark on
  • SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

Congratulation to the winners and not forget the other people in the contest :-)
    Great work everyone.

• edited December 1969

Congratz to HeraldofFire, Scott-Livingston and Mr Leong

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Thank you everyone. This has been a lot of fun to work on, and there have been some great entries last month. I'm by no means an expert yet, so it's been a good opportunity to hone my skills. I shall be returning to my desk, and therefore my rendering work, as of this weekend and intend to help out this months competition in an advisory capacity.

Congrats to Scott and Leong for their wins, and I look forward to seeing this months entrants in the WIP thread.

• GrazeGraze Posts: 418
    edited December 1969

Hey congrats HeraldOfFire and Scott-Livingston

• Security16Security16 Posts: 79
    edited December 1969

Congrats everyone who entered and more for those who won! Better luck next comp!