Need a GL 1.3 ?

MarcuseMarcuse Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

Apparently I need a GL 1.3 something instead of my GL 1.1, is this something that can be downloaded off the Net ? Really hope so, save having to do without the computer for a couple of days to have it put in otherwise....

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,884
    edited December 1969

OpenGL is a way of sending 3D information to a video card. Whether your hardware supports OpenGL 1.3 is a function of the hardware itself, and of the drivers - in order to answer the question we need to know what video card or chip set your machine uses.

• MarcuseMarcuse Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks I've no idea where would I find that....?

edited December 1969

What operating system are you using?

edited December 1969

Windows XP Home 32 bit, Firefox/ Explorer....

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

In Windows 7
    Right click on the "Computer" icon, (or go to Start menu / Control panel,... then go to "Device Manager",. then look at "Display Adapters"

That will tell you the name and model of your Video card.

However,... if you have windows updates enabled, it would find an install the relevant driver for any system devices, so,.. it would seen that your current Video card only supports OpenGL 1.1.

you need a new graphics card to support higher openGL.

If you're system is a Desktop it's a ten minute job to "remove and replace" with new hardware.

If it's a laptop,. It may be more complex, or in many cases, not possible.

More info about your system may help us to offer better advice.

edited December 1969

Thanks I've got a desktop Windows XP Home. I do have Windows Updates enabled and yes it is Open GL 1.1. Not a techie at all so is it something that can be downloaded online or does it mean a visit to my computer repair guy ?

Unfortunately I can't find anything called "Device Manager" or "Display Adapters" in the Control panel....??

Thanks

edited December 1969

Actually, on XP Windows Update tends to grab the Microsoft driver rather than the chipset maker's and that offers only OpenGL 1.1 - it';s better to use the maker's driver if possible.

edited December 1969

Thank you I'll try to get the fastest one available sorted on Monday. Is there any limit ?

Btw Richard I've been wondering why my username is jsma2012 when I wanted Marcus, or if unavailable I usually use Marcuse. Could it have got mixed up in the general changeover ?

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969
    edited June 2012

Thank you !! Unfortunately I'm not a techie so very wary of downloading things I don't understand. If this is correct which one of these 2 is the right one ?

GL_1.3_drivers_.JPG
    669 x 483 - 57K
    Post edited by Marcuse on
    edited December 1969

Updated your username - yes, the switch did seem to undo any changes that had been made to the naem first entered, or used the wrong field if there were two - I'm not sure which, or even if there's some other reason for the issue.

edited December 1969

check your PM

edited December 1969

Thanks unfortunately completely lost. I'd rather play it safe really and take it over to my computer guy as whenever I'm without it I get serious withdrawal symptoms ! :-)

edited December 1969

Marcuse said:
    Thanks unfortunately completely lost. I'd rather play it safe really and take it over to my computer guy as whenever I'm without it I get serious withdrawal symptoms ! :-)

ok - I am the puter guy ( well was for many years )
    Skull