Carrara Monthly Challenge #30: WAR TIMES - WIP Thread

Comments

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    head wax said:

Vyusur said:

Head Wax, your pictures reminded me of Hieronymus Bosch

hey thanks! he;s one of my favourite artists, always great texture in his work but also something to discover

I like him too. I made some copying of his works in my childhood.

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,807

I wasn't happy with my work-in-progress ... so I started a new one.

It shows a scene from the science-fiction novel "Blindsight" by Peter Watts. This image shows the moment when the aliens (called scramblers) swarm aboard the spacecraft "Theseus".

"Theseus", in the foreground, is assembled from bits and pieces of Stonemason's Modular Sci-Fi Kit 01 and from the incredibly useful Nurnies Greebles Parts and Pieces. The scramblers were modeled from primitives and spline objects. That evil-looking black thing in the background is called Rorschach, and it's also made from heavily-deformed and duplicated spline objects. It's lit by a single spotlight, targeted to light only Rorschach (which produces the bluish sparkle, from reflective highlights). Big Ben, the planet in the background, is a heavily tweaked version of the "Special FX/Lava" example that ships with Carrara.

The invading scramblers are placed using a surface replicator. There's actually a terrain object on top of the hull of the spacecraft, and the scramblers are distributed on top of that. The terrain object is set to invisible (handy pro tip: a surface used by a surface replicator doesn't need to be visible to work).

This is a close-to-final version of the image. The final version should include a couple of human figures on the hull -- Siri Keaton and Robert Cunningham, realizing too late that something has gone badly wrong. And I'll probably post-work it slightly to make the details stand out a bit more.

Scramblers08-01.png
    960 x 720 - 483K
    2017-01-14_09-09-20_01.png
    1199 x 741 - 545K
    2017-01-14_09-10-14.png
    1096 x 810 - 244K
    2017-01-14_09-11-01.png
    1044 x 731 - 393K
  • VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited January 2017
    diomede said:

I like this belt and leggings much better for the Asia-inspired uniforms.  The camouflage for the cylon/stormtroopers - is that a procedural or a texture map?

The camouflage is a digital-camo texture, that I made in Genetika. And her its used together with Anything Goos, from DCC to give it some wear and tear.

I have also made a artillery piece, for my attaching forces. This camo is all procedural.

Test01.jpg
    800 x 600 - 120K
    Post edited by Varsel on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited January 2017

Excellent tank and crew!

Here is an update of my thinking for one of my entries (the one to include the cyclopstritch).  An army (toonish) with more modern weapons will be losing to a paranormal army with primitive weapons.  Here, the paranormal army is created using the non-photoreal renderer and Ron's scratches.  The more modern army used the photoreal renderer.  Used multipass to combine them in Photoshop Elements.  Will clutter up the scene with more of the same of each in the background (and some replicated dead bodies).

wip combine.jpg
    1230 x 1640 - 233K
    wip normal render.jpg
    1230 x 1640 - 161K
    wip npr render.jpg
    1230 x 1640 - 363K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited January 2017

Here is a wip off the final setup.

Still to add some soldiers.

The explosion from the grenade is made out of two sphere primitives, with a Explode Modifier. And a Fire Primitive.

I am also using a Primvol Fog and Rising Smoke.

diomede : my poor royal guard. Beeing over-run by an one-eyed ostrich.

Test02.jpg
    1000 x 562 - 405K
    Test02a.jpg
    1009 x 753 - 311K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    MistyMist said:

is she too cute to be a demon?

No such thing ;)

Just piss her off once... look what happens!

Nybras!heart

how much time is left?

panic alert

diomede said:

Excellent tank and crew!

Here is an update of my thinking for one of my entries (the one to include the cyclopstritch).  An army (toonish) with more modern weapons will be losing to a paranormal army with primitive weapons.  Here, the paranormal army is created using the non-photoreal renderer and Ron's scratches.  The more modern army used the photoreal renderer.  Used multipass to combine them in Photoshop Elements.  Will clutter up the scene with more of the same of each in the background (and some replicated dead bodies).

cyclops ostrich the cute smiley

Dates to Remember:

WIP Thread Opens: Friday 23 Dec 2016

Entry Thread Opens: Saturday 10 Jan 2017

Entry Thread Closes/Voting Begins: 12.00 Midnight Monday 17 Jan 2017

Voting Ends: Saturday 23 Jan 2017

breathe fheew  

mostly harmless
    thanks for the fish

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited January 2017

I think that this is as far as I can go with this in Carrara with the knowledge I currently have.  I do have a question, is there a way to turn off the shadows to the skeletons?  They are replicated, and I have shadows turned off on the replicators themselves however, the option to turn off the shadows is not available if I choose the skeleton.

Carrara Chellenge Spears.png
    2090 x 1568 - 5M
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

I wasn't happy with my work-in-progress ... so I started a new one.

It shows a scene from the science-fiction novel "Blindsight" by Peter Watts. This image shows the moment when the aliens (called scramblers) swarm aboard the spacecraft "Theseus".

"Theseus", in the foreground, is assembled from bits and pieces of Stonemason's Modular Sci-Fi Kit 01 and from the incredibly useful Nurnies Greebles Parts and Pieces. The scramblers were modeled from primitives and spline objects. That evil-looking black thing in the background is called Rorschach, and it's also made from heavily-deformed and duplicated spline objects. It's lit by a single spotlight, targeted to light only Rorschach (which produces the bluish sparkle, from reflective highlights). Big Ben, the planet in the background, is a heavily tweaked version of the "Special FX/Lava" example that ships with Carrara.

The invading scramblers are placed using a surface replicator. There's actually a terrain object on top of the hull of the spacecraft, and the scramblers are distributed on top of that. The terrain object is set to invisible (handy pro tip: a surface used by a surface replicator doesn't need to be visible to work).

This is a close-to-final version of the image. The final version should include a couple of human figures on the hull -- Siri Keaton and Robert Cunningham, realizing too late that something has gone badly wrong. And I'll probably post-work it slightly to make the details stand out a bit more.

looks good bytescapes - thanks for the tip on the stonemason gear - so it works in carrara ? !

@diomed - love your sense of humour - and it's good to see the NPR being used.

@Varsel, - above and beyond the call of duty!

@diomed - love your sense of humour - and it's good to see the NPR being used.

@Varsel, - above and beyond the call of duty!

I think that this is as far as I can go with this in Carrara with the knowledge I currently have.  I do have a question, is there a way to turn off the shadows to the skeletons?  They are replicated, and I have shadows turned off on the replicators themselves however, the option to turn off the shadows is not available if I choose the skeleton.

Ice Dragon Art - really picking up Carrara well, congrats!

If you can select the model of the skeleton in the instances list - not the Skeleton - then at the top right under the General tab, you get an option to turn off shadows.

(Ps dont forget to turn off ambient lighting as well (Click Scene in the instances list) - as the ambient lighting is set to 20 percent by fault.

scrap.jpg
    640 x 978 - 167K
    Untitled-2.jpg
    490 x 983 - 108K

Thank you I will give that a try.  I need to crop it a bit closer as well.  Worst case scenerio I will remove the shadows with postwork but I want to do as much as possible inside the prgoram.

you can render with and without shadows turned on in the r ender room too

Thank you!

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,807
    head wax said:

"Theseus", in the foreground, is assembled from bits and pieces of Stonemason's Modular Sci-Fi Kit 01 and from the incredibly useful Nurnies Greebles Parts and Pieces.

looks good bytescapes - thanks for the tip on the stonemason gear - so it works in carrara ? !

Yep, Modular Sci-Fi Kit seems to work pretty well. The spaceship is mostly made from two pieces -- a "wall cap" and a floor piece -- that were just added to Carrara 'as-is'. I didn't even change the texturing. That particular set from Stonemason is pretty sweet; I use it in a lot of my images. For example, here's that wall cap again, this time in a DAZ Studio Iray image. If you don't have it, I recommend grabbing it the next time Stonemason's stuff goes on sale.

edited January 2017

I'm feeling the deadline.  Might have too many replications of the cyclops cavalry to finish my integration of the NPR render.  But here are the dead bodies.

WIP crowd.jpg
    1000 x 1600 - 165K
    wip npr render crowd.jpg
    1000 x 1600 - 451K
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    diomede said:

I'm feeling the deadline.  Might have too many replications of the cyclops cavalry to finish my integration of the NPR render.  But here are the dead bodies.

This is looking fantastic @diomede!

I know what you mean about the deadline - I have final high-quality render of my second entry going right now and I feel like it is taking forever! 

edited January 2017

Thanks, Mark.  Like you, I am trying to get my second going.  I am starting a render of my Operation Market Garden entry so that it runs while I go to a watering hole watch the (American) football playoffs.  Just hoping that I don't have any giant blemishes because there won't be time for much in the way of corrections.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    head wax said:

"Theseus", in the foreground, is assembled from bits and pieces of Stonemason's Modular Sci-Fi Kit 01 and from the incredibly useful Nurnies Greebles Parts and Pieces.

Yep, Modular Sci-Fi Kit seems to work pretty well. The spaceship is mostly made from two pieces -- a "wall cap" and a floor piece -- that were just added to Carrara 'as-is'. I didn't even change the texturing. That particular set from Stonemason is pretty sweet; I use it in a lot of my images. For example, here's that wall cap again, this time in a DAZ Studio Iray image. If you don't have it, I recommend grabbing it the next time Stonemason's stuff goes on sale.

Cool images! Yes, it is a useful set, from memory any glowing materials need to be set up by hand, but that is not a huge task, and you can set up a folder in your "MyObjects" folder and save them, ready textured for reuse.

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    namtar3d said:

Dates to Remember:

WIP Thread Opens: Friday 23 Dec 2016

Entry Thread Opens: Saturday 10 Jan 2017

Entry Thread Closes/Voting Begins: 12.00 Midnight Monday 17 Jan 2017

Voting Ends: Saturday 23 Jan 2017

FYI:

Just noticed that,

Saturday 10 Jan 2017 does not fall on Saturday. It falls on Tuesday.
    Monday 17 Jan 2017 does not fall on Monday. It falls on Tuesday.
    Saturday 23 Jan 2017 does not fall on Saturday. It falls on Monday.

Just sayin'.

edited January 2017

Wow, thanks de3an!  Never noticed.

Here are the render passes for my first entry out of Carrara and the final image.  Slightly different camera angle from previous.

Cyclopstritch Entry Jan 2017 Diomede.jpg
    1000 x 1600 - 221K
    Cyclops Varsel 2 npr ted preset.jpg
    1000 x 1600 - 433K
    Cyclops Varsel 2.jpg
    1000 x 1600 - 172K
    Cyclops Varsel 2_Depth.jpg
    1000 x 1600 - 63K
    Cyclops Varsel 2_MaterialDiffuse.jpg
    1000 x 1600 - 154K
    Cyclops Varsel 2_ObjectIndex.jpg
    1000 x 1600 - 90K
    Cyclops Varsel 2_Position.jpg
    1000 x 1600 - 77K
  • wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Thought I'd take a look at all the cool renders. I've been off modeling an antlike critter to replicate. Hopefully I'll have it done tonight/early morn and I can move on to adding shader domains which should show the eyes and a bit of difference in legs etc.  Would have been done a few days ago with the critter but ran into problems and had a lot of do overs for legs... back ones were a piece of cake, hah, but as you can see are much skinnier than the others... go ahead laugh... I am.

Scene and Questions:  I'm planning on having 2 armies of ants, one red the other black coming together in battle. In order to do this I'm thinking that I'll need 2 different maps set to white to distribute each on. Can I have different maps for diff replicaters?  Thinking of creating 1 sorta half circle meeting mid terrain... saving it then... flipping the image, mirror, and renaming it to use for other replicater. Sound like a plan?

Two more days got to get back to Vertex Modeler.

Sonja, nice job!

Critter_20.png
    640 x 480 - 275K
    edited January 2017

Hi wgdjohn.  The ant's legs look very good to me.  No laughing.  Serious thumbs up.  yes​  We are often our own worst critics when it comes to that sort of thing because we know where we struggled. 

RE: the distribution maps for the replicators.  Yes, you will probably want a separate map to place each army if they are streaming into your terrain from different directions.  Or, you could replicate pairs of fighting ants (one red and one black) by grouping two together, then replicate the group to a single map.  Or, you might want one replicator for the battling pairs and another replicator for each army streaming into the area.  My WIP just above here has separate surface replicators for the cyclopstritch cavalry in the distance, the dead bodies, and the fleeing infantry. 

EDIT:  If your terrain is flat, you could also replicate on separate vertex grids.  Place the grids where you want each grouping.  Just remember to turn off visibility and shadows for the grids..

diomede said:

Diomede, this is superb, congrats!! 

wgdjohn said:

Thought I'd take a look at all the cool renders. I've been off modeling an antlike critter to replicate. Hopefully I'll have it done tonight/early morn and I can move on to adding shader domains which should show the eyes and a bit of difference in legs etc.  Would have been done a few days ago with the critter but ran into problems and had a lot of do overs for legs... back ones were a piece of cake, hah, but as you can see are much skinnier than the others... go ahead laugh... I am.

Scene and Questions:  I'm planning on having 2 armies of ants, one red the other black coming together in battle. In order to do this I'm thinking that I'll need 2 different maps set to white to distribute each on. Can I have different maps for diff replicaters?  Thinking of creating 1 sorta half circle meeting mid terrain... saving it then... flipping the image, mirror, and renaming it to use for other replicater. Sound like a plan?

Two more days got to get back to Vertex Modeler.

Sonja, nice job!

once you get a bit of texture on it it will sparkle :)

edited January 2017

Here is the requered setup picture, with the replicators.

setup.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 820K
    Post edited by Varsel on
    edited January 2017

And the menu for the victory party is ready..... laugh

Roasted ostrich ... 

And your all invited.

roastostrich.jpg
    600 x 800 - 168K
    Post edited by Varsel on
    edited January 2017

Varsel, that scene setup is EPIC!  Can't wait to see the final render.  But watch out, that royal guard is likely to choke on his dinner.  wink

I'm just not happy with my composited entry.  The lighting change is too sharp - I inadvertently created a noticeable ring. My attempts to fix it just keep making it worse.  And my blend of the NPR and the regular render keeps excluding the cavalry lances. 

So, I am gong back to the entry thread and putting the straight render back in.  Substitutions have been permitted up to the deadline in the past.  Namtar, if this is a problem I can put the original submission back.