Carrara Monthly Challenge #30: WAR TIMES - WIP Thread

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited January 2017

Mark, very cool lighting and effects. 

As long as I am posting, here is a WIP for a lo res tank-like vehicle.

test render too tank.jpg
    800 x 600 - 26K
    tank top a.jpg
    800 x 600 - 33K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

MDO - great work!

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Okay going to start over and try again lol. Thanks

edited January 2017

So here is where I am at.  You can see I have one dot selected, I have loop selected yet nothing is looped.  I did get it to do it once.  But I didn't do anything different.  click on a point, hit loop, it should loop.  or ring.  but it doesn't.....I don't think its supposed to be this hard....

Loop Not Working.jpg
    1676 x 1032 - 237K
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on

You need to start with an edge or a polygon, not a single point.  There is no way for the loop tool to know which direction to go in if only one point is selected.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

For something that size/shape, you could just drag-select the whole loop (select "Edge" first). Probably a lot quicker . . .

Ya It seems like if I select three separate points around the edge it works.  So once I have it textured, do I then save it as an object?  Not sure what to do with it (Ya, total newbie here lol sorry!) so that I can use it in a scene.

Whew.  One wooden spear....

Wooden Spear.jpg
    640 x 480 - 7K
    edited January 2017

You can save as a Carrara file anywhere you want for future use by using "Save as" from the top menu.  You can also save it as an object to be retrieved for any ongoing project by saving it to your browser tray.  Save to the browser tray by opening the handle at the bottom of your screen and clicking the browser tab along the left side.  You will then see tabs for scenes, objects, shaders, etc.  You can click and drag your object to a folder in your object section of the browser tray.  You can also add entire directories of your existing Daz formatted and Poser formatted content by clicking the black circle in the upper right of the browser tray.

tt06a browser file.jpg
    1853 x 1040 - 565K
    edited January 2017

Good job. 
    There is almost always more than one way to accomplish anything in Carrara.  Keep experimenting and following others' tutorials until you find what fits you.  The spear is very similar to a balcony post.  Here are walk-throughs for modeling and uvmapping a balcony post. 
    modeling a balcony post
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1677766/#Comment_1677766
    uvmapping the post
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1798806/#Comment_1798806

Wgdjohn has a thread that gathers many resources for modeling. 
    See  http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/96301/modeling-objects-in-carrara-q-a-come-one-and-all/p1

Whew.  One wooden spear....

Thank you.  Got it saved, on to re watching the replicator videos lol.

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited January 2017

Here is a wip of the attackers, in my picture.

Still a lot of modeling and work to do... 

promo02.jpg
    1000 x 582 - 151K
    Post edited by Chohole on
    edited January 2017

Varsel - the enemies look intimidating.  Helmets give that Cylon / Imperial Stormtrooper feel.  Good design.

I started over for my terrain because I was having so much trouble with the replicator opacity masks.  I think the raised causeway worked out well if I can texture it the way I want.  Here, I've simply blocked out the different shader domains with contrasting colors.  The bridge and the tank column are placed to test scale.

uu01 heightmap base.jpg
    1025 x 1025 - 73K
    uu03 river height.jpg
    1025 x 1025 - 71K
    uu04 road heightmap and opacity mask.jpg
    1025 x 1025 - 67K
    bridge too far test render.jpg
    800 x 600 - 20K
    wip bridge too far.jpg
    800 x 600 - 45K
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    diomede said:

Varsel - the enemies look intimidating.  Helmets give that Cylon / Imperial Stormtrooper feel.  Good design.

I started over for my terrain because I was having so much trouble with the replicator opacity masks.  I think the raised causeway worked out well if I can texture it the way I want.  Here, I've simply blocked out the different shader domains with contrasting colors.  The bridge and the tank column are placed to test scale.

reminds me of the Red Barcetta song by RUSH smiley
    1 lane bridge, left the giant stranded at the river side

wip 1 

demon horde vs an army of blended weight Aiko 7s smiley

uhh just have to test replicating her doesn't crash

zip
    zip
    Practice Aiko7 mp4.zip

is she too cute to be a demon?

rain skin, manual eyelashes.png
    729 x 1000 - 793K
    edited January 2017

The actors are ready.

Still texturing to do, and then to arm them.

And of course the kingdom which ownership has sparked all this commotion .....

promo.jpg
    600 x 800 - 160K
    Post edited by Varsel on

sensibly dressed smiley armor covers, no high heels!

starting my model requirement, making dragon eggs, not a perfect sphere, like wobbly looking, and a speckle shader

• diomede said:

You can save as a Carrara file anywhere you want for future use by using "Save as" from the top menu.  You can also save it as an object to be retrieved for any ongoing project by saving it to your browser tray.  Save to the browser tray by opening the handle at the bottom of your screen and clicking the browser tab along the left side.  You will then see tabs for scenes, objects, shaders, etc.  You can click and drag your object to a folder in your object section of the browser tray.  You can also add entire directories of your existing Daz formatted and Poser formatted content by clicking the black circle in the upper right of the browser tray.

I was just about to post a question about this!  

Can we create our own folders under Objects (I can create one in the actual folder and then it appears in Carrara; is this safe to do?) and also sub-folders?  How can we get them to the top of the list so we don't have to scroll all the way down?

• That Other PersonaThat Other Persona Posts: 381
    edited January 2017

Muzzle blasts. . .   Have been playing with this today without much success.  

Posssible with a single particle emitter?  Comes out red, changes to black rather quickly and gets blown into a cloud form?  I am experimenting with air friction, an opposing force, and other things.  I think a set of forces pushing back on the blast might help create the cloud.  A single force is not getting enough dispersion.

Or a fire primitive and a separate particle emitted for the smoke cloud?

Post edited by That Other Persona on

Done some more texturing.

Started modeling of some weaponry. They will all be made in Carrara.

The gate is also still a wip. 

Test01.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 262K
    Test02.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 476K
    Test03.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 337K

Muzzle blasts. . .   Have been playing with this today without much success.  

Posssible with a single particle emitter?  Comes out red, changes to black rather quickly and gets blown into a cloud form?  I am experimenting with air friction, an opposing force, and other things.  I think a set of forces pushing back on the blast might help create the cloud.  A single force is not getting enough dispersion.

Or a fire primitive and a separate particle emitted for the smoke cloud?

If you just want a muzzle blast for a static image and not an animation, you could always find a good image of what you want and map it onto a plane with an alpha map, and hey presto, there you go!

edited January 2017

Hi Phil.  I am looking for animation.  After starting out with your rocket scene (I need missiles and rockets, too) I tested quite a few things and came up with something that will do.  It is a combination of two emitters at the tip of the barrel, one slightly ahead of the other.  One shoots out the flames and the other the smoke cloud.  Could probably be improved a lot but it will serve my purpose for now.  I used the smoke particle from the working files for the rocket and used the alpha channel with a black region at the left before turning white; it gave just enough of a delay to make it look good.  There are also tweaks to gravity and air resistance.

The ship was tossed together in a minute as my focus was on the blast, therefore the lack of any detail.

Nect up will be bomb blasts and the biggie, a nuke.

I am currently watching your animation series and enjoying it.  The biggest thing for me so far was the NLA section; I didn't know they were that easy to create so had sort of ignored them.  Now I will start creating a decent set for my Toon Gens.  Add in Puppeteer fro a little bounciness and it could be nice (I also didn't know Puppeteer sets could be saved.  Thanks!)

So much to learn . . .

gunfire.png
    960 x 886 - 372K
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,790

you will need to edit your preferences file to change the order... if you are not proficient in doing this then don't.

Another easier way is to create your folders using Windows Explorer

browse to Documents/Daz 3D/Carrara 8.5/My Presets/My Objects/

and create all the folders you need.. they will appear in the Objects tab at the top under My Objects.

diomede said:

I was just about to post a question about this!  

Can we create our own folders under Objects (I can create one in the actual folder and then it appears in Carrara; is this safe to do?) and also sub-folders?  How can we get them to the top of the list so we don't have to scroll all the way down?

myobjects.jpg
    1183 x 853 - 128K

Hi Phil.  I am looking for animation.  After starting out with your rocket scene (I need missiles and rockets, too) I tested quite a few things and came up with something that will do.  It is a combination of two emitters at the tip of the barrel, one slightly ahead of the other.  One shoots out the flames and the other the smoke cloud.  Could probably be improved a lot but it will serve my purpose for now.  I used the smoke particle from the working files for the rocket and used the alpha channel with a black region at the left before turning white; it gave just enough of a delay to make it look good.  There are also tweaks to gravity and air resistance.

The ship was tossed together in a minute as my focus was on the blast, therefore the lack of any detail.

Nect up will be bomb blasts and the biggie, a nuke.

I am currently watching your animation series and enjoying it.  The biggest thing for me so far was the NLA section; I didn't know they were that easy to create so had sort of ignored them.  Now I will start creating a decent set for my Toon Gens.  Add in Puppeteer fro a little bounciness and it could be nice (I also didn't know Puppeteer sets could be saved.  Thanks!)

So much to learn . . .

Just one thing to be aware of if using NLA Clips with toon characters, I had an issue with this when doing the animation for the "Trick or Treat" project. The three main characters are all Genesis and as toon characters, they have non-standard body proportions. When applying an NLA clip back to the character, the shoulders were completely out of position, as if it were trying to apply them to a standardly proportioned figure, even though the clips were created with the correct charatcer. So do a quick test before getting too much into this. I did report this as a bug to Daz, but nothing was done.

edited January 2017

Thanks for the heads-up.  I love the Toon Gen characters (the original version; I don't have Genesis installed).  They do have some quirky movements, however.  The main one is in the shoulder, which is sadly a major area!  I have managed to create some amazingly painful-looking body twists!

Will proceed with caution.

So this is where I am at on this.  Can someone check and make sure I have met the criteria before I work on it any farther?  I made the spear, the magic orb and the glowing cone and replicated the spears.  I'm going to be adding more figures and working on the cone a bit more, I'm not super happy with it.  And how much post work is allowed?  I would like to do the magic effects of the cone in post work but if not I will try some other suggestions I have recieved.

Spears work in progress 2.jpg
    2090 x 1568 - 469K
    edited January 2017

Namtar has to give the final rulings but I think I can say the following with some assurance. 

First - General challenge rule.  Unless prohibited by the challenge coordinator, postwork is allowed and encouraged.  However, you have to post the pre-postwork Carrara renders in addition to the final work. 

Second - Rules specific to this month.

"2.-The scene must have at least 10 characters in the scene. (For example, 9 knights atacking a dragon, 5 soldiers fighting 5 enemies or 2 planes atacking 8 tanks, etc) You can make a massive battle of hundreds of soldiers if you wan't. ond - specific to this challenge."

"5.-Postwork is allowed, but not to replicate objects."

So, I think your scene is fine as far as modeling an object (the spear).  And, feel free to use postwork to your heart's content, except to replicate opponents.  However, my reading of this is that you need to insert, or duplicate, or replicate a few more combatants.  Pretty sure they could just be dead bodies.

Of course, Namtar has to do the actual ruling.

EDIT:  And great job - you are learning the basics of Carrara pretty quickly.  I think you will find the shader trees fairly powerful once you get used to them.

EDIT 2:  Remember that the rendering room has an option for multipass to aid you with your postwork.  These are like Studio canvasses if I understand correctly.

Sonja - looks like you are getting much more used to Carrara! Great work so far.

edited January 2017

I'm a big fan of the toons as well.  Toon gramps made regular appearances when I participated in challenges in other forums.

For a muzzle blast, you might start with primitive cones.  For the larger cone, apply an explode modifier and adjust pieces size and gravity.  Use a gray/black shader with spots or cellular in the alpha channel.  Apply a blur effect.  This will be smoke.  For a smaller cone, same concept but put yellow/orange in the glow channel.  This will be a little flame burst.  Put the smaller cone in the larger cone and then place at the muzzle of the gun.

Just an idea.

Thanks for the heads-up.  I love the Toon Gen characters (the original version; I don't have Genesis installed).  They do have some quirky movements, however.  The main one is in the shoulder, which is sadly a major area!  I have managed to create some amazingly painful-looking body twists!

Will proceed with caution.