Distorted Genesis Mesh - Fine in DS4.5

RiggswolfeRiggswolfe Posts: 899
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I imported a .duf with a character I render in Daz. She looks great in Daz but in Cararra the mesh is distorted. This is particularly clear under the arms but there are subtle distrortions elsewhere. This is a Stephanie 5 body with a V4 skin on it. I thought about recreating it in Cararra but can't figure out how to change the UV maps in Cararra like you do in DS4.5 so once I applied Stephanie 5 I was unable to apply the v4 skin and make it look right.

Does anyone know what this distortion is? The texture doesn't use displacement. It does use bump which is set at 20%. I believe I also had a DS Shader applied to the character, probably ESS or Uber Surface 2. Would those cause problems?

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Ugh! If nothing else, you could have a zombie for any of your horror renders.

I wish I could help, but I don't have 8.5. At the least, maybe it'll bump the thread up for you.

Maybe I can help with finding and loading the textures in a general, non-Genesis way.

Have you tried selecting the Genesis figure and then double clicking on a mat file icon (under Poses) in the Content browser to see if it will load one?

Have you tried selecting Model under the figure's hierarchy, and then selecting the Shader tab and then going to your Shader Browser and finding the skin directory and dragging and dropping the the shader icon onto the multi-colored ball above the shading domain list for your figure?

To manually load a texture, find the shading domain you want to use and double click it to open it in the Shader room. Go to the channel you want, such as color, bump, Highlight, etc. and click the top folder icon at the top left of the image map and a window will open allowing you to navigate to where the texture you want to use is located.

Note: you can use Carrara's powerful shading system to add to, mix, multiply, etc with other image maps, noise functions, colors, etc. to get a completely unique effect.

Picture_7.png
    838 x 491 - 105K
    Picture_6.png
    822 x 373 - 97K
    Picture_5.png
    1234 x 925 - 260K
    Picture_4.png
    1234 x 385 - 92K
  • RiggswolfeRiggswolfe Posts: 899
    edited December 1969

I was able to recreate this by just dialing in the Stephanie 5 shape and adding the texture. Genesis defaults to V4 UV maps so in the end it worked out. I'd have been up the creek if it was an M4 texture however.

I get the feeling that the shaders in Cararra are very, very powerful but not terribly well documented. Hopefully I'll find some tutorials about them.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

I was able to recreate this by just dialing in the Stephanie 5 shape and adding the texture. Genesis defaults to V4 UV maps so in the end it worked out. I'd have been up the creek if it was an M4 texture however.

I get the feeling that the shaders in Cararra are very, very powerful but not terribly well documented. Hopefully I'll find some tutorials about them.

Look at the manual. It's for Carrara version 7, but the shader room is pretty much the same.