Graphic Novel with heavy use of Daz Studio

I thought other users here might be interested in learning about my recent graphic novel project, for which I made heavy use of DS.

Here's a trailer about the project:

It recently went up for sale on Comixology, but it's also available in print on Barnes and Noble.com and Amazon, as well as on Kindle. Not sure if I can link to those pages, so erring on the side of caution.

I've attached some samples here as well. The workflow is very convoluted, but it involves DS, Octane, Photoshop, Filter Forge, and Manga Studio. Happy to hear any feeback or answer any questions.

Cheers

JCT

Comments

• ElspathElspath Posts: 180

I like

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Congrats on the release! It takes a lot of hard work to do the art and get it formatted. Hope it does well for you.

• nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,850

The art looks good.

• Looks cool. I'd like to hear about the development process, especailly about the use of Manga Studio.

Do you make the resolution sizes so that it'd be suitable for printing in the future or is it digital only right now?

• Congrats!

• JCThomasJCThomas Posts: 254

Thanks for the kind words.

Looks cool. I'd like to hear about the development process, especailly about the use of Manga Studio.

Do you make the resolution sizes so that it'd be suitable for printing in the future or is it digital only right now?

No, it's also available in print. It's 8 x 10 format at 600 dpi, so 5400 by 6000 pixels. I usually render in 4K and the image is large enough to fill the panels on the page. On the splash pages such as when the bad guy in black is looming over the girl or the one where the girl is showing off her powers, I render those at the print resolution of 5400 by 6000.

The figures are all genesis 2. Once I render and filter, I layout the pages in Manga Studio. Then I retouch the line work using Manga studio's pen tools. I also do all the lettering in manga studio.

• Very cool!  I recognize some of the locations.  The music in the trailer was quite compelling. 

Very cool!  I recognize some of the locations.  The music in the trailer was quite compelling. 

Yeah, your hotel and gas station have a starring role!

• That's good to know,  I just ordered a copy through Amazon.  I guess its a "print on demand" setup,  they said they'll let me know when its ready to ship. 

That's good to know,  I just ordered a copy through Amazon.  I guess its a "print on demand" setup,  they said they'll let me know when its ready to ship. 

Yeah it is. For others looking into doing something similar, Amazon has their own print on demand service called createspace. They have less options for color books, so I went with Lightning Source, which is owned by Ingram, one of two major book distributors in the US. So, customer orders on Amazon, Amazon submits order to lightning source, lightning source ships to amazon, amazon ships to customer. There isn't delay with POD createspace books though. Just worth thinking about.

I hope you like it! Would love to know what you think. Thanks for checking out!