UV and Material Zones?

KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Asking questions when I'm not near my 'puter to have DAZStudio up, please pardon the extra cluelessness:

An object's material zones are specific to the UV, aren't they? So if I pull up an alternate UV, it could (and often does IIRC) have different material zones?

I know it's possible to set up material zones in DAZStudioPro4.5 (although I haven't tried it yet), is it possible to set up an alternate UV? If there are directions on how to do these up somewhere I'd appreciate a link.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,863
    edited December 1969

No, it's the other way around - the UV Set is a setting for each material zone, the boundaries remain unchanged on the model though they may vary on the template.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

Yah, I just found this out... trying to re-establish the gen material zone on the female genitalia... didn't work :(

• Canary3dCanary3d Posts: 2,004
    edited December 1969

Here's a tutorial I wrote that shows how to make custom material zones in DS4.5 pro - super easy, I promise! http://www.canary3d.com/tutorial/Tute-CustomMatDSPro.zip

edited December 1969

Thank you, Canary :)

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,846
    edited December 2012

Be careful when changing Material zones on an existing DSON figure, always do it to a copy (created with "Figure/Prop asset") otherwise you'll break the original figure and it's texture sets, to the extent that you'll have to delete your work and reinstall the original to get rid of stray mat zone references in the DSF files.

PS this is why we can't use Gen 3 textures on Genesis, they would need to supply a second version of Genesis with Gen 3 material zones and UV's.

Post edited by Bejaymac on
    edited December 1969

What you can do is use UVS files to tranferre UVs in UVMapper.

edited December 1969

Only if the basic geometry matches. You couldn't use UV Mapper to transfer third generation mapping to Genesis, and for Genesis you'd need to rerig any remapped OBJ with the Transfer Utility.

• Canary3dCanary3d Posts: 2,004
    edited December 1969

You can remap an exported genesis OBJ without re-rigging...you just load the new OBJ in the surfaces thing as a new UV. But the 3rd gen figures have geometry that's very different from Genesis, so getting it line up is pretty difficult/possibly imposible.

edited December 1969

I was meaning if the zones were changed using UV Mapper or the like.

• DavidGBDavidGB Posts: 565
    edited December 1969

wancow said:
    Yah, I just found this out... trying to re-establish the gen material zone on the female genitalia... didn't work :(

Do you still have the last original female genetalia files from where there was the gen zone? Or the installer to install them in another location?

I loaded the new files, the old files, and the latest Male gens files (as a comparison of the current latest format that has two material zones one skinhip, one gendetails) into a text editor to compare, then just hacked the info for the gen material zone from the old V5 Genetalia into the current Genesis Female Gens.

You need the Genital Detail.dsf from the UV Sets/DAZ 3D/Base of the original female genetalia's data folder, and the texture file for the gens details, but it only needs ... I think it was three pastes into the files of the current female gens files to return the gen material zone - and they then reappear in all UV sets for the female gens: V4, V5 and S5.

I could write instructions, I suppose. It's not really at all complicated.

• KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 1969

Canary3d said:
    Here's a tutorial I wrote that shows how to make custom material zones in DS4.5 pro - super easy, I promise! http://www.canary3d.com/tutorial/Tute-CustomMatDSPro.zip

Sorry people, didn't get back to my computer last night to try any of this, but I appreciate your help!
  • Art_JunkieArt_Junkie Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

DavidGB said:
    wancow said:

Do you still have the last original female genetalia files from where there was the gen zone? Or the installer to install them in another location?

I loaded the new files, the old files, and the latest Male gens files (as a comparison of the current latest format that has two material zones one skinhip, one gendetails) into a text editor to compare, then just hacked the info for the gen material zone from the old V5 Genetalia into the current Genesis Female Gens.

You need the Genital Detail.dsf from the UV Sets/DAZ 3D/Base of the original female genetalia's data folder, and the texture file for the gens details, but it only needs ... I think it was three pastes into the files of the current female gens files to return the gen material zone - and they then reappear in all UV sets for the female gens: V4, V5 and S5.

I could write instructions, I suppose. It's not really at all complicated.

Could you please post exact instructions on how to do this?
    Thanks