Slimes, Jellies, or Oozes?

PVGamesPVGames Posts: 68
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hello,

I have a fairly large collection at this point of fantasy monsters and such, but one primary staple of anything fantasy and monstrous has been elusive to me: Slimes, also known as Oozes and Jellies. The little amorphous blobs of various colors that are often the first types of monsters you come across in RPGs and such.

Does anyone know where one could find a decent slime or ooze type monster for DAZ?

Comments

• ValandarValandar Posts: 1,417
    edited December 1969

SuperGJ said:
    Hello,

I have a fairly large collection at this point of fantasy monsters and such, but one primary staple of anything fantasy and monstrous has been elusive to me: Slimes, also known as Oozes and Jellies. The little amorphous blobs of various colors that are often the first types of monsters you come across in RPGs and such.

Does anyone know where one could find a decent slime or ooze type monster for DAZ?

Slimes and oozes are incredibly hard to do properly in either Poser or DS. The closest I have seen is one of my own critters, based on the "Jellies" of Dragon Quest, found in this pack:

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/wizard-pets-familiars-and-constructs-1

Comes in grape and apple 'flavors' :D

• Salem2007Salem2007 Posts: 513
    edited December 2012

Slimes and oozes are incredibly hard to do properly in either Poser or DS.

Why is that so? I don't disagree, I just wonder why?

I tried to make my own gelatinous cube---the shape wasn't so hard, but the texture was a killer...I don't have the know-how to texture something from scratch...

BTW: I agree with the OP--I'd like to see some of these classic baddies....

Post edited by Salem2007 on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Something like this?

No, the materials aren't quite 'right'...but passable...and that's with just using the default DS Surface, I'm sure UberSurface or even ShaderMixer will do better..

slime.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 335K
  • PVGamesPVGames Posts: 68
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the replies thus far.

@Valandar: I actually did pick up that pack. I thought the jellies were very Dragon Quest, and cute :) The whole pack is quite nice actually.

However, the slime that I am looking for is more like in the picture that mjc1016 posted. How did you make that anyway? It looks pretty good.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

I think it would help if we could do gradients. Perhaps with shader builder? I haven't a clue.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 2012

I think a nice Blob (Jelly, Mold, Slime) can be done with a good sized Primitive Sphere with good divisions and just adding MANY Deformers to get the right shape. Then use the Default Glass shader with the settings edited.
    You could go so far as to add the Deformers as built in morphs. Of course any shaders could be used on the Surface. It would depend on your Render settings as to how good the shaders would look in a render.

EDIT: I would be willing to take this on as a project if I could get some images of what is wanted.
    EDIT #2: mjc1016 that looks really good to me.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

I would think that the free Sculptris is one of the best tools around for this sort of thing, assuming it's still available. It's very easy to use.

• jmperjmper Posts: 257
    edited December 1969

There is an older one by edhoover at Renderosity:
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/the-blob/57935

It is older but I think it still gets the job done. It uses Poser materials so obviously Studio would need to contend with that. It has lots of bendy areas and such.
    Render using some of my other materials:

001.jpg
    800 x 800 - 524K
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

jmper said:
    There is an older one by edhoover at Renderosity:
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/the-blob/57935

It is older but I think it still gets the job done. It uses Poser materials so obviously Studio would need to contend with that. It has lots of bendy areas and such.
    Render using some of my other materials:

Ah.. No need for me to make one I see. But I'm still willing to try my hand if any would like a free one.
  • jmperjmper Posts: 257
    edited December 1969

Oh, trust me...I'm not recommending you not to. Free is good ^.^ (I like free)
    Just depends on if he needed it now or not lol.

002.jpg
    800 x 800 - 511K
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

It's not free, but for special effects like this you might want to check out pwEffect for Daz Studio. It has some great effects shaders which you can change around for countless combinations. It comes with some like gasses, molten lava and x-ray shaders but has a lot of settings you can change to make unique effects. Here's a quick render I did of my own gelatinous cube devouring some hapless adventurer.

Poor Vicky never stood a chance.

Gelatinous_Cube.png
    1005 x 892 - 2M
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

araneldon said:
    I would think that the free Sculptris is one of the best tools around for this sort of thing, assuming it's still available. It's very easy to use.

:cheese:

That's exactly what I did...then I took it into Blender and ran a softbody sim on it...then when it was nice and squishy, I exported it as an obj and rigged it in DS4.5 (I wasn't happy with the groupings, so I'm going to redo it, after I get the belladonna I'm working on done...)

I made a great shader for it, in ShaderMixer...except for the fact it took about 12 hrs to render it in a very simple scene...so there's some tweaking needed there. I think using UberSurface will go a long way to improving the 'look'...

• I hope I do not dig out some ancient old post here.

but I'm looking for some kind of slimey wimey too.

Like those you see in most japanese mmorpgs as a start mosnter. tthise little slimes jumping around like the easiest enemy :D

Is there anything new about those?

• MandMMandM Posts: 60

Mika, I'm joining you on this old thread!  Here are two free ones I found... 

A FBX that could be retextured..
    https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/gelatinous-cube-e08385238f4d4b59b012233a9fbdca21

and a STL file that might work, 
    https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-gelatinous-cube-84684#google_vignette