A Little Late to the Party

Lord GanthorLord Ganthor Posts: 592
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Due to a recent computer upgrade I've finally been able to download and install B7 Pro. I've worked with B5 and 5.5 for years (I skipped 6) and I am really thrilled with all the new (to my eyes) changes with my favorite program. However, I've got a couple of questions...simple stuff, really, that I've forgotten how to do, like...

1.) Setting up a permanent start-up screen. Just the working screen size is all I'm really after instead of loading with the last screen size I was working with. Sometimes it will do that, sometimes not. I know that there's a couple of changes you can make, but I've forgotten what they are and how to do them.

2.) How do I remove the automatic option of generating a file every time I do a render? I remember that there's a setting for that, but not where it is. I'm really only interested in exporting or saving my final renders and not the program creates every time I do a render.

3.) I'm sure that these links have been given before, but, I've got to confess, I'm too lazy to go searching for them. Just some basic lighting tutorials. There are several new light options in B7 and I want to be able to take full advantage of them.

4.) A bit of an oddball question, but I though I'd throw it out here just in case...Is there a good way to use some sort of transparency map or setting to "remove" roots from trees leaving only the upper trunk and the branches? I've been experimenting with building trunks from terrain maps and adding branches for really huge forest scenes, and can't figure out how to do it.

I've been watching everyone's progress in the Post Your Renders section and have been really impressed with the work that's been shown so far. I'm hoping that once I get a few months practice under my belt I'll be able to start producing something worth looking at.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 2012

The first question, IS it that you want to make Bryce take up your whole desktop space. The little box on the Right hand side of the screen, under the Demo marker and plop render tools will do that bit.

Else it is file document setup to set your doc size.

And I am hoping you get an answer to that last question, because I have been trying to remember how to do that. I know there is a way, but the tut that mentioned it is not available any more.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • kiwi_ggkiwi_gg Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

1) file>document setup
    2) don't know
    3) David Brinnens and Horo's tuts
    4) same as 2

Cheers
    GG

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,140
    edited December 2012

Set up your default scene with document size and sky, then save as "default.br7" to the main folder where Bryce.exe is. Whenever you start Bryce, this scene with your favorite settings is loaded.

Post edited by Horo on
  • Lord GanthorLord Ganthor Posts: 592
    edited December 1969

Thank you, sir! That's what I was looking for. It's just that it's been so long since I've done it I've forgotten how. Now to check into the tutorials.

edited December 1969

And please promise that you will post us a render of "Da Real Man" over here, when you have done one. I think that fellow Brycers need to meet this guy, he is A real cult figure. :coolsmirk:

• Lord GanthorLord Ganthor Posts: 592
    edited December 1969

A cult figure? Uh oh, that doesn't sound good. I'll have to re post whatever I come up with for the December Challenge...if I ever come up with something...

edited December 1969

Well he is still my number one 3d pinup. Like the new avatar BTW.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,140
    edited December 1969

Thank you, sir! That's what I was looking for. It's just that it's been so long since I've done it I've forgotten how. Now to check into the tutorials.

Sometimes, even the simple answers are useful. Glad it did help.