Details on :"Maximum character of resource path's"

V3DigitimesV3Digitimes Posts: 3,049

Hello everybody!

I'd like to submit a product and I've read carefully what had to be done to do that.
But I need to understand specific requirements on the "numbers of characters" in filenames and in resources path, because maybe I'll have to rebuild all my runtime (not so long to do, but must be done very carefully - well let's say I'd prefer not rebuild it if it is not required -). I'm afraid I don't understand exactly what they mention concerning the number of characters. They say :
"PLEASE make sure that the filenames do not exceed 30 characters in length (or they will not work on MAC's), and be sure that none of your resource path's are over 60 characters (or they will not work in Poser on a MAC)." It's on daz forum here :
https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/entries/123996-when-i-sumbit-a-product-to-daz-3d-for-publishing-what-do-i-need-to-include-in-my-submission , at the end of the product installer files section.
For filenames it is not a problem right now, I've already checked that.
What I don't understand is what is the mean by in the "resource path"?
1. Only the ones pointing to the jpg textures and obj files?
2. Do they also include the path of the cr2, pz2 and dsa files?
3. Does it also include the name of the file itself or only the path going to to the file?

Two examples to be sure of what I'm supposed to do:
For instance for an obj I have : "Runtime\Geometries\V3D\M4MilitaryTeeShirts\M4MilitaryBasicTshirt.obj" which makes 68 characters if I count "M4MilitaryBasicTshirt.obj" in it, but only 43 characters if I exclude it from the character count. Should I consider it as OK or should I simplify the path and object name so that the full complete character count remains below 60.
If it includes the filenames in the count I'll have to rebuild many paths and filenames!!! (I have approximately 300 references to cr2, dsa, pz2, jpg, and objs in the product... ouch!).

Second example, I have :"Runtime\libraries\Pose\V3D\M4UltimMilRBoots\03DAZBumpOptions\MuddyBootsCloseBump.pz2" 84 characters including the pz2 name, 60 excluding it. Is it considered as a resource path? (it is a pose file, not an obj or image one). Does the character limitation also apply?

Thank in advance to anyone having ideas on it.

Comments

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

Resource paths are the physical paths to all objects, textures, PMDs, etc. that a given cr2/pz2/etc. might call. I don't believe either of these issues affect DAZ Studio, only Poser7 and earlier. However, as far as I am aware, filename length and path length are calculated separately.

E.g.,
    M4MilitaryBasicTshirt.obj = 25
    Runtime\Geometries\V3D\M4MilitaryTeeShirts\ = 43

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

adamr001 said:
    Resource paths are the physical paths to all objects, textures, PMDs, etc. that a given cr2/pz2/etc. might call. I don't believe either of these issues affect DAZ Studio, only Poser7 and earlier. However, as far as I am aware, filename length and path length are calculated separately.

E.g.,
    M4MilitaryBasicTshirt.obj = 25
    Runtime\Geometries\V3D\M4MilitaryTeeShirts\ = 43

Also, they were more OS issues than anything else. Win9x and older Apple OS versions were very limited. XP and OS X broke those limitations.

• V3DigitimesV3Digitimes Posts: 3,049
    edited December 1969

Thank you both for these clear and interesting answers! I'm very happy with your answers since I have much less corrections than I feared!
    Have a great and happy day!