Gimp

gunangagakgunangagak Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Photshop is too expensive, Is it possible to import photos from Gimp into Daz.

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

If you are talking about Daz Studio Yes, as long as they are saved in a format that Daz Studio accepts.

If you are talking about adding an image to a post in the DAZ 3D forum, then you need to use either a jpg, png or gif.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Gimp can save in multiple formats which Daz can use. Just save your photo as a JPG or PNG (for lossy or lossless compression respectively) and you can load it into Daz as a texture map or a background.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

For the most part, GIMP is every bit as powerful as PhotoPoop... And ADOBE is notorious for making buggy, crash prone software...

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

GIMP has changed it's save dialog in the 2.8 release...if you want to save a file as something other than GIMP native format, you need to use the Export instead of Save. Other than that GIMP handles just about any image format around...Studio can use BMP, JPG, PNG, TIF and a couple of others...

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

I'm a GIMP user myself. Earlier versions tended to be crash-prone with any scripts, but the latest is very stable and has a very good 64-bit version. Make sure you get the GIMP animation package for doing gifs (if you want to do gifs) and the free GMIC and Resynthesize plugins because they are awesome.

GIMP can use Photoshop's brushes, of which there are many inexpensive (Obsidian Dawn is my favorite) or free (all over the internet, but check licenses).

edited November 2012

I'm a GIMP user myself. Earlier versions tended to be crash-prone with any scripts, but the latest is very stable and has a very good 64-bit version. Make sure you get the GIMP animation package for doing gifs (if you want to do gifs) and the free GMIC and Resynthesize plugins because they are awesome.

GIMP can use Photoshop's brushes, of which there are many inexpensive (Obsidian Dawn is my favorite) or free (all over the internet, but check licenses).

Obsidian Dawn has a bazillion brushes...and lots of good free ones. Some are even packaged for use in GIMP, but all her brushes I've tried (either the PS or GIMP packages) have worked well. And with the new brush controls in 2.8, most of them work even better...my favorite new control is full rotation on the selected brush. (yeah, PS has had rotation for a while but GIMP didn't or had rather clunky work arounds). http://www.obsidiandawn.com/

Ron's Brushes, offered here in the store work very well in GIMP. Ron has a free sample pack at Brusheezy...

http://www.brusheezy.com/brushes/12896-rons-sampler-brushes

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/deviney

The GIMP Registry has lots of addon scripts, filters, plugins http://registry.gimp.org/

Pretty much, you can do almost everything with it you can do with any other full featured image editing software.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
    edited December 1969

Yes! I ADORE the dynamics. It used to be you had to script a brush and manually draw a ton of layers to make it rotate, but now it's effortless.

edited December 1969

Hehe...'rather clunky work arounds'...no need to bring up all THOSE gory details...there is an anit-gore sentiment on these forums :lol:

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Hehe...'rather clunky work arounds'...no need to bring up all THOSE gory details...there is an anit-gore sentiment on these forums :lol:

Somebody has to represent Fuseling's accomplishment - she made me a rotating stitch brush before I knew that was even a possibility in GIMP. :-D

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

Somebody has to represent Fuseling's accomplishment - she made me a rotating stitch brush before I knew that was even a possibility in GIMP. :-D

I got pretty used to making layers and rotating them...

• SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,684
    edited December 1969

I have been using Gimp to change textures and such and it hasn't let me down so far ^^

• MachieltjeMachieltje Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

You say GIMP uses Photoshop brushes; do they need to be converted or can they be used "as is" (been using paintshop pro but it don't do brushes without conversion)

*looks around startled* Oh my gosh what did I just do! *Quickly goes back to lurking*

edited December 1969

You say GIMP uses Photoshop brushes; do they need to be converted or can they be used "as is" (been using paintshop pro but it don't do brushes without conversion)

*looks around startled* Oh my gosh what did I just do! *Quickly goes back to lurking*

As-is. You just dump the .abr right into the brushes folder and they work.

• MachieltjeMachieltje Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

As-is. You just dump the .abr right into the brushes folder and they work.

Gimp is sounding more and more interesting, I may have to try it soon.

Oh bugger I did it again!

edited December 1969

It has quite a few changes... the Brush controls are a little different, and some custom brushes have been added since my 2.6 install.

But I think I'm going to get a scheister lawyer and sue over having to use the Export function to save a JPEG... it's just enough to cause carpel tunnel syndrome in my big left toe.

edited November 2012

wancow said:
    It has quite a few changes... the Brush controls are a little different, and some custom brushes have been added since my 2.6 install.

But I think I'm going to get a scheister lawyer and sue over having to use the Export function to save a JPEG... it's just enough to cause carpel tunnel syndrome in my big left toe.

I hate that change with a fiery, burning passion. It is more technically correct, but that is not a good reason to make a feature user-unfriendly. :p It's my only real complaint with the newest versions.

Everyone expects to see save-as, that's the shortcut everyone has hardwired from every other program, WHAT'S WRONG WITH SAVE AS???

Whew, sorry. Rant off.

Post edited by SickleYield on
  • gingercakes47gingercakes47 Posts: 382
    edited December 1969

I just ran into that myself trying to do a save as.

edited December 1969

wancow said:

I hate that change with a fiery, burning passion. It is more technically correct, but that is not a good reason to make a feature user-unfriendly. :p It's my only real complaint with the newest versions.

Everyone expects to see save-as, that's the shortcut everyone has hardwired from every other program, WHAT'S WRONG WITH SAVE AS???

Whew, sorry. Rant off.

That's why I mentioned that particular little 'gem' in my first post...I'm ready to smack the dev who came up with that idea upside the head with a 3 day old fish...

• ColdrakeColdrake Posts: 236
    edited December 1969

wancow said:
    For the most part, GIMP is every bit as powerful as PhotoPoop... And ADOBE is notorious for making buggy, crash prone software...

Notorious for making buggy, crash prone software? Hardly. I have to completely disagree. I've been using Photoshop for over 14 years and I've never had it crash on me, not once. It's the most stable software I've ever used.

Coldrake

edited December 1969

Two reasons I started using GIMP...PS would always crash for me (didn't have a Matrox video card back then and back in the mid/late 90s Matrox was the card for that kind of work.) and the price. A good friend had a Matox card (he did photo work, professionally) and it was as stable as the Rock of Gibraltar for him. The first version of GIMP I used was a point release before v1 and it was more stable for me than PS ever was. I also tried PaintShop Pro and didn't like it.

PS is a very demanding application and pretty much requires 'perfection'...both in hardware and OS setup. And for the price, you'd best be using it to be making some money, because for the casual user, I can think of a lot of other things to spend that kind of dough on...and just because something costs a lot doesn't make it the best...it just makes it expensive.

edited December 1969

Coldrake said:
    wancow said:

Notorious for making buggy, crash prone software? Hardly. I have to completely disagree. I've been using Photoshop for over 14 years and I've never had it crash on me, not once. It's the most stable software I've ever used.

Coldrake

Two words: preference file.

During my brief acquaintance with trying to make a school's copies of InDesign work, I learned to hate it. Acrobat is a cow in every possible way other than eating grass and mooing, and PSE loaded at a rate similar to Poser Pro. I never bought the full version because I didn't want to deal with the hassle.

I've never had a Matrox card, either. On my budget I've had to make do with whatever the current middle-of-line was from Nvidia or, back then, AMD.

edited December 1969

I did eventually end up with a Matrox card...from my buddy when he upgraded. He sent me his old dual head card. Too bad I don't have a motherboard that will run it, any longer...original AGP 1x version. Ran that card for a couple of years...

edited December 1969

Coldrake said:
    wancow said:

Coldrake

Flash: Notoriously buggy, Crash Prone Software. Adobe Illustrator: Notoriously Buggy, Crash Prone Software. Acrobat Reader: Notoriously Buggy, Crash Prone software... need I go on? I'm not going to argue about it with you, but you are one of the very few I've ever seen tell of how PS has never given them a problem. The only reason Adobe got off the ground was because it teamed up with Apple early on. Since then Apple dumped them because, they say, Adobe Makes Buggy, Crash Prone Software. That's Apple Computers talking, not me, though personal experience backs them up. Apple Computers may be an evil spawn of fascists totalitarians out for world domination, but when they're right, they're right...

• bshugs@hotmail.com[email protected] Posts: 176
    edited December 1969

Gimp can save in multiple formats which Daz can use. Just save your photo as a JPG or PNG (for lossy or lossless compression respectively) and you can load it into Daz as a texture map or a background.

I use Gimp because I'm cheap :)

A follow up question: Is there anything similar to the "3D Bridge for Photoshop" that would make it easier to move between Daz and Gimp without exporting, switching applications, and refreshing texture images?

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813
    edited November 2012

A follow up question: Is there anything similar to the "3D Bridge for Photoshop" that would make it easier to move between Daz and Gimp without exporting, switching applications, and refreshing texture images?

I don't think so, but I'm not sure. I tried to install the 3D Bridge when I first got Studio 4 Pro, and it basically said, "I know not this thing called 'GIMP'. Where be ye olde Photoshop?"

It has quite a few changes... the Brush controls are a little different, and some custom brushes have been added since my 2.6 install. But I think I'm going to get a scheister lawyer and sue over having to use the Export function to save a JPEG... it's just enough to cause carpel tunnel syndrome in my big left toe.

Whew, sorry. Rant off.

I don't understand why they made that change, either ... although, in a way, it's a bit less user-unfriendly than the old method, where you'd do a "Save As", and then during the process, the export function would make its appearance. You always did have to export; they just exposed the function.

I am running into one really odd difference between 2.8 and 2.6, and it's bad enough that I keep both versions installed. For some reason, 2.8 seems to be really intolerant of certain brushes. It's not something I can predict, and sometimes it seems to have as much to do with numbers as much as anything else. But, for example, I just installed a bunch of brushes that I picked up from the bundle that Ron has on sale.

2.8: Slow, sluggish start, followed by a trip to Crash City.

2.6: Normally slow start (GIMP is not the snappiest program around, and a large number of brushes will slow down the start while it parses the directory) followed by no problems whatsoever.

I wish I knew what the difference was. It makes no sense that the 32-bit program can take every brush in my system with no problem (... and there are kind of a lot, I admit) while the 64-bit version becomes incredibly fragile. Yet when I pull those brushes from the 2.8 brush directory, it's fine. (The really confusing thing there is that each program seems to be able to see the other's brushes directory, but I've given up trying to understand why this works like this.)

Post edited by vwrangler on