Auto fit (and possibly more) broken

thoromyrthoromyr Posts: 452
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

At some point while trying to work around some of the limitations with respect to genesis, autofit and morphs something happened and autofit no longer works correctly. The obvious visible symptom is that in the autofit dialog there are two drop downs, the first for the figure and the second for the type of item. The first drop down (figure) is fine, but the second is only populated with "None". For any given item this sometimes works and sometimes does not. There are some additional problems that may or may not have anything to do with this.

My question is this: I've reinstalled Carrara to no avail. I've gone through every item in ~/Library that is Carrara related and compared to a working system (differences have seemed trivial). I've removed files that are regenerated. There are a few frameworks under /Library but they are identical to what is on a working system.

Although I recently installed DS4.5 (to compare behavior with genesis in carrara) I don't think that is implicated because this symptom appeared during a solid session of working solely with Carrara where it was working and then ceased. At this point I'm not sure what else to try. I wish I knew how Carrara constructed that drop down menu to have an idea of where to look. Because the executable is the same (and it still fails to work after reinstalling to a different location) I don't see how the issue can be attributed to do the application bundle. There must be something else on my system that is causing the problem and I can't figure what.

Comments

• thoromyrthoromyr Posts: 452
    edited December 1969

I still haven't been able to figure out what is wrong. I think it must have something to do with the duf/dsf importer, but a reinstall of C8.5 not fixing the issue has me wondering.

I was able to copy my genesis runtime over to another mac computer that is still "working" (the autofit dialog is complete) and, while it didn't get an error trying to load an item that I can't load on my main computer, it did crash C8.5 before the load completed. Looked to be at the end after morph projection.

Other than autofit working/not working one difference between the two computers is DS -- the main computer has the latest DS4.5, I'm not sure what version of DS is on the older system, but it is not the newest by any stretch. If it has 4.5 at all it is an older version. Which might have something to do with the crash, I dunno. The item I was trying to load was the Old Man Rex clothing from 3D Universe which is brand new. If Carrara is relying on data in the DS install that might explain some things. Not why autofit quit working (the install of DS4.5 to the latest was before it stopped working), but for some of the differences.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Hi Thoromyr :)

The Data for Smart Content in Carrara,. comes from the CMS. part of Daz Studio,.
    As far as I know,. the Auto-fit functionality also has to come from DS, since Genesis,. and any (Iconic shapes) or figures, are installed into DS,. so that's where the Data for the Clone's would be coming from.

This is part of an issue that was highlighted by Carrara users who wanted to use Carrara,... Not ..Daz Studio.

There needs to be a way for Carrara users to install content, without requiring DS to be installed, and still allow the CMS Database to supply Carrara with smart content info.

Which may be just one of the many possible reasons for delays with the beta.

Stezza had an issue with the Old man Rex, . so, I got it to check,. and yes,. there's an issue with the clothing, causing an error in the current beta,. but I'm pretty sure it's a content issue,. but I'm still trying to figure out why,.. since most of the big Genesis issues have been dealt with.

The figure loads for me, and the morph works if i load a default genesis,.
    The Cloak loads, and can be conformed,.
    the main (outfit) loads and causes an error when it's trying to conform to the figure.

Not much help :)

edited December 1969

Hi 3dage

3DAGE said:
    Hi Thoromyr :)

The Data for Smart Content in Carrara,. comes from the CMS. part of Daz Studio,.
    As far as I know,. the Auto-fit functionality also has to come from DS, since Genesis,. and any (Iconic shapes) or figures, are installed into DS,. so that's where the Data for the Clone's would be coming from.

This is part of an issue that was highlighted by Carrara users who wanted to use Carrara,... Not ..Daz Studio.

Point taken

3DAGE said:
    There needs to be a way for Carrara users to install content, without requiring DS to be installed, and still allow the CMS Database to supply Carrara with smart content info.

Which may be just one of the many possible reasons for delays with the beta.

Agreed and understood. I really like genesis so I hope that they take their time and release a functioning version.

Stezza had an issue with the Old man Rex, . so, I got it to check,. and yes,. there's an issue with the clothing, causing an error in the current beta,. but I'm pretty sure it's a content issue,. but I'm still trying to figure out why,.. since most of the big Genesis issues have been dealt with.

The figure loads for me, and the morph works if i load a default genesis,.
    The Cloak loads, and can be conformed,.
    the main (outfit) loads and causes an error when it's trying to conform to the figure.

Joy. Oh well, hopefully a fix soon.

Not much help :)

Well, it did inspire me to reinstall DS4.5. It didn't help, but it was something to try.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Just to clarify,. I include myself in the carrara users who want an alternative smart content system for Carrara. :)

The problem in doing that is making something that works, whether you use Carrara only, or Carrara, and Daz Studio together.

I can understand the frustration,. especially with mac users, who can't run previous versions, so perhaps a release of a serial as Holly suggested in another thread may actually be a good idea, as long as the development continues, which I think it would need to anyway,. since Carrara and Daz Studio are more linked than ever.

Sorry it didn't help much,. but at least it kept you active :)

edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    Just to clarify,. I include myself in the carrara users who want an alternative smart content system for Carrara. :)

I understood that. Myself, despite originally thinking the smart content would be good it now seems increasingly pointless. But I'm not wanting to start an argument about the merits. But smart content or not, I like genesis.

3DAGE said:
    I can understand the frustration,. especially with mac users, who can't run previous versions, so perhaps a release of a serial as Holly suggested in another thread may actually be a good idea, as long as the development continues, which I think it would need to anyway,. since Carrara and Daz Studio are more linked than ever.

Unless by "can't run previous versions" you mean bugs that have been fixed I'm not sure what the issue is. Oh, well, I guess 8.1 has an issue where it "wants to be run as administrator" which is silly because ... well, let's leave it at that. But even when I was using the windows version I was pretty exclusively on current 8.5 beta...

Sorry it didn't help much,. but at least it kept you active :)

Yeah. Well, it really needs to get better than this for a production version. It isn't like I deleted or modified application files -- everything I did was just in the GUI. The only "dangerous" thing was unlocking models -- but I don't see how that would affect a new scene file.