Working with skirts and dresses

Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I've got a small problem I wonder someone might be able to help with. Skirts and dresses can be awkward things at times as they're expected to obey the laws of gravity and often don't. In one scene I've recently had difficulties with, the character in question is sat on a chair but the front of the skirt is greatly elevated from her legs giving the viewer more of an eyeful than they bargained for.

In Poser I could use the cloth room to run a simulation to rest the skirt on the characters lap in a more natural position, or at very least a more modest position. Here's an example render (w/ camera re-positioned to uphold her modesty). You can see how the front of the skirt arcs over her legs. You'll have to excuse the quality as it's just a mock-up to give you an idea of the problems I'm having.

Are there any features that I could make use of in Daz which would help in situations like this?

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Skirts that are meant to accomodate extreme poses, such as sitting, usually have handles for posing the relevant parts of the mesh to accomplish that. Dynamic clothing does that of course, but you could always send the posed item over to Hexagon using the Bridge, and work on the dress pose there, and create a morph yourself if it does not have one.

The other thing you could try is D-Formers. DAZ Studio does not have a Cloth Room or built in physics I'm afraid.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Skirts that are meant to accomodate extreme poses, such as sitting, usually have handles for posing the relevant parts of the mesh to accomplish that. Dynamic clothing does that of course, but you could always send the posed item over to Hexagon using the Bridge, and work on the dress pose there, and create a morph yourself if it does not have one.

The other thing you could try is D-Formers. DAZ Studio does not have a Cloth Room or built in physics I'm afraid.

No, but even without using mcj's scripts, I will often export an item as an obj (for a static render...I don't do much animation), take it into Blender, run a cloth sim on it and dump it back into DS...I've gotten it down to where it doesn't take that much longer to do that, than it does to use a DS compatible dynamic item.

I haven't played around much with the scripts, but they are supposed to be able to take a drape and import it as a morphing prop...

https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts2/mcjobjstomorphingprop

I would love to see a Blender/DS bridge, along the lines of the GoZ, Bryce or Hexagon ones...

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

No, but even without using mcj's scripts, I will often export an item as an obj (for a static render...I don't do much animation), take it into Blender, run a cloth sim on it and dump it back into DS...I've gotten it down to where it doesn't take that much longer to do that, than it does to use a DS compatible dynamic item.

I haven't played around much with the scripts, but they are supposed to be able to take a drape and import it as a morphing prop...

https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts2/mcjobjstomorphingprop

I would love to see a Blender/DS bridge, along the lines of the GoZ, Bryce or Hexagon ones...

Me TOO. On both counts! Blender can do a lot more than Hex can. A bridge would be awesome.