Genesis & iconic shapes in poser with DSON

edited December 1969 in New Users

I haven't done much with poser in awhile, but with the sales I decided to join the PC again, but I have a coupon for DAZ originals, so I need to decide what to buy to get everything at once with the discount.

All the threads I have found seem to be talking about how clothing fits within DAZ Studio, what I want to know is specifically for Poser (Poser Pro 2012).

I want to buy Genesis and V5 that's a no brainer, but I am trying to understand about the iconic shapes. I know that gen3 and gen4 clothing will autofit Genesis in DS and not Poser, but now there is the DSON importer.

So if I get the iconic shapes of gen3 and gen4 will my old clothes fit Genesis in Poser? And also can you still change the shapes? (I'm not sure if maybe the iconic morphs can't be changed at all to fit old clothes, or do they have gen3 morphs as well? And is this what I need GenX I've been reading about for?--only really care about the morphs that came with V3, V4 etc to be able to change the shape myself)

So I guess the big question is it worth also buying gen4 models or will Genesis with the iconic shapes be able to use all my old clothes in Poser? Also, how does hair and textures factor in? I understand all V4/M4 textures work with Genesis and vice versa?

Lastly, do I have to actually buy Genesis base figure to import into Poser? I know I have Genesis in DS, I just didn't know if you just needed the importer or an actual figure separately.

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,029
    edited December 1969

So if I get the iconic shapes of gen3 and gen4 will my old clothes fit Genesis in Poser? No. The clothes can't fit directly since the rigging is still different, and there's no autofit plugin for Poser.
    You can however use Autofit in DS4, then save the converted clothes in DSON format to use them in Poser.
    And also can you still change the shapes? (I'm not sure if maybe the iconic morphs can't be changed at all to fit old clothes, or do they have gen3 morphs as well?Iconic shapes only include the base shape, not the morphs. You can mix them with any other genesis morph or shape though.
    If you want to use the morphs made for older figures with Genesis then you'll need GenX to convert them.
    I understand all V4/M4 textures work with Genesis and vice versa?
    M4 and V4 textures will work on Genesis, but textures made specifically for one of the other Genesis UV sets (like V5 or M5) won't work on M4 or V4.
    Lastly, do I have to actually buy Genesis base figure to import into Poser? I know I have Genesis in DS, I just didn't know if you just needed the importer or an actual figure separately.There's no separate Genesis figure. When you buy the importer you get the Genesis Starter Essentials, which includes Genesis.
  • edited November 2012

Ok great, but as long as I fit the clothes in DS and export they will fit in Poser. Do you need to pose everything in DS too or it makes them work as regular clothes for the most part? And can you change/morph Genesis after or would you have to reexport the clothes (not sure if you mean you fit/export the clothes first then do everything in poser or if you have to export the clothes with the Genesis morphs applied).

Would there be any point then to get the other legacy figures or just for if you want looser clothes to fit? Though I guess there aren't "Kid" morphs yet.

ETA: where is the best tutorial for DSON or on exporting the clothes, etc.

Thanks!

Post edited by scullygirl818_02147fecb6 on
  • islandgurl31islandgurl31 Posts: 250
    edited December 1969

Try Here:

DSON User Guide

Hope this helps :-).

• edited November 2012

Thanks, but I am still completely confused. I assume in the guide I want "Creating DSON Poser Companion Files"? Because it says to save it as a duf file, etc. but I'm not understanding anything. It says to save it in the same folder, but the same folder as what file? Because I went into my Poser runtime to where the geometry obj was (I was guessing this is the file?) So I guessed with that and left the next screen default and it saved the duf.

Then I go to "create a poser companion file," and i get a popup "a source path could not be determined based on the currently selected container in the Content Library pane. Use the Content Library pane to navigate to a folder under the "DAZ Studio Formats" container and try again."

This sounds like it is trying to convert a DS file. But I am obviously trying to take a poser file and save it back into Poser after it'sbeen fit to Genesis.

One other question, I thought I read somewhere that you lose all the morphs when you export the clothes? Does that mean that I need to shape Genesis the way I want before I save the clothes out? I was just using it on the zeroed Genesis.

I am so confused...

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

It says to save it in the same folder, but the same folder as what file?

Normally the same folder as the original item which you're converting to use in poser.

this file you;'re saving is a DUF file, which is a DS file , not a poser file , so,. in this case, you can save this item in another folder within the DAZ FORMATS section of your library,..

then you can browse to that file in the Content Library,.. select the thumbnail of the file,. then go to ,, convert to dson, and choose where you want to save the item to within your Poser 9 or Poser pro 2012 runtime library.

then you jump into poser,. locate that item and load it onto a genesis figure,. Conform it to genesis, and in the top menu, you can choose Scripts / Dson support / transfer active Morphs.

Hope it helps ;)

this is the Genesis, Troll ,and M5, mixed in poser, wearing the "Privateer" outfit. originally made for Michael 3.
    the boots are weird, because the troll has different toes,.. :)

gentrol_pp.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 200K
  • edited November 2012

Edited: I'm rewriting this because I think I got it partially. I didn't understand before that you had to use library and file extension and save as a cr2 that's why part of it was missing.

But I am still having issues. I finally got the shirt in Poser, I changed Genesis to basic female (1.0) and then conformed the shirt and transferred the morphs. The problem is it only will work when I do that simple morph. When I tried to change something like breast size (and I also tried deleting the shirt, morphing Genesis to what I wanted and then adding the clothes, conforming, and transferring the morphs) it does not transfer the morphs, the item doesn't fit. I even tried morphing Genesis in DS with it autofit then saving out the clothing piece again, but it made no difference, it still imports with the default Genesis shape.

Thanks.