Fabricator glitch?

JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,255
edited June 2012 in The Commons

Okay, I haven't been working with it long enough to have extensive experience with how the Fabricator works, but this doesn't seem to be optimal.

It's one of the presets that came with either the original Fabricator, or maybe the Ye Olde Clothe, or Mach Pack collection. A nice black (well, charcoal) damask. Looks perfect in the work window.

But it renders with all of these pale spots and streaks. The lighting used isn't complex. It's Fisty's simple lighting that shipped with her collection of sparkle shaders. I've tried other lighting and got the same thing, except that the spots and streaks are in slightly different places.

I'm assuming that the problem is the specular so I've turned it way way down for the current attempt, and since it's taken 5 hours to get 20% done, I don't anticipate knowing whether that worked for some time yet.

But what is causing this? Does the shader require a skydome or something? None of the other Fabricator shaders that I've used have had this problem. This render was the worst with two different colors of spots, the really pale ones and the rather grey ones along the side of the ribcage. There is nothing like this in the scene, and I can't think of anything that would account for it.

(ETA: Red blotch is just to block oput something that isn't relevant to the issue.

Post edited by JOdel on

Comments

• edited June 2012

Have you checked the reflections? That'll do... pretty much that, sometimes, if it's set to white and a high percentage.

Post edited by thinmick_3ecd3939f1 on
  • JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,255
    edited December 1969

Thanks. If it does it in this render that's what I'll try next.

I'll try rendering it without wigs in hopes of it going a bit faster.

• ValandarValandar Posts: 1,417
    edited December 1969

Either reflections, or (more likely from the look of it) Specular.

edited December 1969

Well I've changed the colors of both specular and reflections all to dark grey, and the speculr is down to 15% and I'm still getting white specks. So far not as many of them. But since it taken nine hours to get the render far enough to reach the sleeves where they are showing up, it's not a easy decision to cancel it.

The thing is that I *didn't* get white specs in the test render when I was working with the character study. It didn't take any nine hours to get 34% complete either. It rendered in something like 20 minutes.

• MarieahMarieah Posts: 518
    edited December 1969

I just had a look at it.

To make it look more like damask, turn the glossiness and the spec all the way up to 100, turn the reflection down to zero and change the spec color to light grey.

It's more of a satin fabric as it's set up.

edited December 1969

Ah, thank you. I'll give that a try on a future run through. Fortunately, this project isn't due for a while so I can give it an extra day here and there.

• MarieahMarieah Posts: 518
    edited December 1969

And I forgot to mention = make sure the lighting model is set to matte.

edited December 1969

That turned out to be the problem. I thought I'd already rest it to matte, but evidently either I hadn't, or it reset itself to plastic when I changed to a different fabric.