DSON Importer for Poser 1.0.0.27 is now available!

Comments

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

I did see that, but, the Mec4D one is really good and works inside Poser and doesn't seem much of a faff like that one does.

CHEERS!

• Nester751Nester751 Posts: 361
    edited December 1969

Quick DSON question, the product Severed Man lists a DSON installer. Can it be used for Poser (on Genesis)? It doesn't look like it has Poser material (or texture files). Thanks in advance.

edited December 1969

Hmm, possibly,

If you have this script installed:

http://d3d.sesseler.de/index.php?software=poserpython&product=dson_loader

You can use that script to import DUF files into Poser without the need for a Poser Companion File. You might have to manually apply some things though. I can't 100% guarantee that everything will work.

I have used that script to import an UberEnvironment light into Poser and have used the sphere it comes with as it was intended.

At the end of the day, you can either experiment or ask RawArt to do a Poser Companion file.

CHEERS!

• Nester751Nester751 Posts: 361
    edited December 1969

Thank you very much Rogerbee

edited December 1969

Good luck,

Let me know how it goes if you do get him.

CHEERS!

• TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited December 1969

It says it has texture maps. It doesn't say "Poser" or "DAZ" maps, so I assume they can be used in both. They probably load with the product.

edited December 1969

One can but try....

CHEERS!

• edited December 1969

Keep getting this error in Dson
    The Dson importer requires a writable runtime folder that is outside of the Program Files.
    Add a writable runtime folder to the Libray and try again.
    For someone who isn't that familiar with writing runtime folders exactly what is it telling me todo.
    I have used the the importer to show where the studio is located and did the same with the Poser runtime folder any help would be great.

Can anyone help me with this issue that am having?

Thanks in advance

• MarqueMarque Posts: 78
    edited December 1969

Is there any way to make your item list go by newest item bought?
    Thanks

• griffon_e3f1dc9370griffon_e3f1dc9370 Posts: 224
    edited December 1969

The Dson importer requires a writable runtime folder that is outside of the Program Files.
    For someone who isn't that familiar with writing runtime folders exactly what is it telling me todo.
    I have used the the importer to show where the studio is located and did the same with the Poser runtime folder any help would be great.

Thanks in advance

If your poser runtime is located in program files/smith micro/Poser 9 or program files/smith micro/Poser Pro 2012

AND this is the dicretory to which you are installing the Genesis content, then this is the problem you are having. Program Files requires that when things are wrote to it, that it have administrative access which means a program cannot generally write to it.

It is also why DAZ has instructed people to create a folder outside of this runtime to put the DSON Genesis content. They suggest putting the content in the default location for the DAZ Studio files, which is My Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library others put it in an external runtime outside the main runtime, for instance I keep mine in My Installed Content/DSON Genesis.

Inside Poser, I just pointed the library to the DSON Genesis directory and now I have my DSON Genesis content.

edited November 2012

One also does wonder if DAZ is really paying attention here. They have Stephanie 5 textures and character sets for her that are DSON compatable, yet they do not have S5 herself compatable yet. One does wonder how a person is supposed to use those textures when they use the S5 UV Set and we don't have an S5 to give our Genesis that UV Set.

I also find it most interesting that very few of the PC 1.99 items have come out DSON compatable since it's release. It doesn't seem to make any sense to me. No more sense than the fact that even though they are converting older products to zips, they continue to release new items in installers instead of in zip files. Would it not be easier to release new items in zips and thus save themselves from having to put things in the installers and then later have to take them out again?

Let me edit to say that it would seem the have updated S5 herself, but none of her bundles are listed as being updated. Which the last time I saw they had stuff updated that was part of one of my bundles and I updated the bundle I saw none of those had been updated.

Post edited by griffon_e3f1dc9370 on
    edited December 1969

Sunfire said:
    One also does wonder if DAZ is really paying attention here. They have Stephanie 5 textures and character sets for her that are DSON compatable, yet they do not have S5 herself compatable yet. One does wonder how a person is supposed to use those textures when they use the S5 UV Set and we don't have an S5 to give our Genesis that UV Set.

I also find it most interesting that very few of the PC 1.99 items have come out DSON compatable since it's release. It doesn't seem to make any sense to me. No more sense than the fact that even though they are converting older products to zips, they continue to release new items in installers instead of in zip files. Would it not be easier to release new items in zips and thus save themselves from having to put things in the installers and then later have to take them out again?

Let me edit to say that it would seem the have updated S5 herself, but none of her bundles are listed as being updated. Which the last time I saw they had stuff updated that was part of one of my bundles and I updated the bundle I saw none of those had been updated.

S5 is a morph. If you install it to the same directory as Genesis, the morph dials for her should be there when you load up Genesis in Poser, shouldn't they?

edited December 1969

Sunfire said:

S5 is a morph. If you install it to the same directory as Genesis, the morph dials for her should be there when you load up Genesis in Poser, shouldn't they?

Yes she is a morph, yes she should. However that does not give you the S5 UV set which, like the V5/M5/Troll/Anubis/Gorilla UV Sets are unique to the morph and when you see, for instance the Joanie Elite Texture for S5, or the earlier DSON ready Riley for S5, they use the S5 UV Set NOT any of the others.

On the upside the have updated S5, and most of my bundle is aware of that except my battle ready bundle does not show my pretorian as being DSON ready even though the website says otherwise.

edited December 1969

Ah, now I understand. Thank you for clarifying.

edited December 1969

Ah, now I understand. Thank you for clarifying.

You're welcome.

edited December 1969

She's been DSON'ed!

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/stephanie-5

Just a shame it was too late for the Daz People sale!

Ah well, she's done now, one for the list next week methinks!

CHEERS!

• edited December 1969

For someone who isn’t that familiar with writing runtime folders exactly what is it telling me todo.

Thanks in advance

Ok here's where I have my files still cannot get it to work I missing something here?

Cache Folder I have the following C:/ ..../Doucument/Daz3d/Studio/My Library
    Writeable Runtime Folder C:/..../Doucuments/DSON Genesis/Runtime

Still getting the same error above. Try deleting and reinstalling nothng working I do have the updates for Poser installed the lastest patch even for DSON.

edited December 1969

Ok, here goes,

Install DSON into Poser, if you haven't already.

Delete the folders you have in Documents. Create a folder here called DAZ, install the other files here, the other folders create themselves.

Open Poser and find DSON Support in the scripts menu, open the importer preferences and browse for Daz and put it into the Writable Runtime Folder box

Find the Add Library in the library tab and add DAZ to it

This should now work.

CHEERS!

• edited December 1969

Thanks I'll give it a try

• Eric WaltersEric Walters Posts: 233
    edited December 1969

Finally! I thought it odd that S5 characters and poses were DSON'd weeks prior to S5

Rogerbee said:

She's been DSON'ed!

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Finally! I thought it odd that S5 characters and poses were DSON'd weeks prior to S5

Rogerbee said:

She's been DSON'ed!

CHEERS!

Now if they'd just get the rest of the things that was released with her done... and the rest of my list of goodies.

I would settle for someone explaining how one saves clothing so I can pull some stuff over on my own...

• DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 12
    edited December 1969

Hrm... I'm having issues with my Poser library going nuts after importing a DSON'd figure. I've installed 1.0.0.27, the 32 bit version, it's not in Program Files (heh, I'm on XP, anyway... don't tell me that's the problem :-/ )... Even opening a scene file with a DSON figure saved in it kills the library. It makes Poser pretty much unusable if I can't access my content. I should email tech support, but I thought I'd ask here first, to see if there's a solution that will help others with this problem (assuming there are any).

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 95,997
    edited December 1969

Have you tried turning the progress bar off in the DSON preferences? Scripts>DSON Support>Importer Preferences

• DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 12
    edited December 1969

Huzzah! :-) That did indeed solve the problem! I wouldn't have thought the progress bar was causing Poser to hang; it looked like it was working well enough. I'd looked around and only found one or two people even mention the problem, let alone how to fix it. I'm glad that was so easily solved. Thanky! :)

• edited December 1969

Hi

I am the developer of the OctaneRender for Poser (http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=25193). I am looking to build Genesis compatibility into the plugin. I have downloaded DSON and had a look through it's features, and am incredibly impressed with what you have done - particularly with the subd system! However, a question....

My understanding is that a 3rd party renderer would render the SubD actor (which is at a sudb level) and ignore the normal body parts actors. However querying the SubD actor in PoserPython I am getting some very odd results. In particular, the number of texture polygons is double the number of polygons (at subd 2, polygon count is 301952 and texture (uv) polygon count is 603904. These should be the same (there should be a uv poly for every polygon). If I export the subD actor as OBJ and re-import, Poser corrects this problem and sets the texture polygon count to 301952).

Is this a bug in the DSON importer? Is there a workaround (like ignore every second texture poly)?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

• edited December 1969

I can findes it great what it's all new Genesis is just since you very much
    make, and also the Horse 2 with the pony is now real süß.Aber Poser 7 and I just wanted to get the importer even though it is nowhere it is for older versions of Poser. Is a great pity.
    Sorry for the crappy translation, I use a translation program
    Greeting DeeDee

edited December 1969

The older versions of Poser don't have weightmapping, which is the entire point of Genesis. The older versions of Poser just don't have what Genesis needs.

• W R WW R W Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

Create a folder here called DAZ, install the other files here, the other folders create themselves.

Open Poser and find DSON Support in the scripts menu, open the importer preferences and browse for Daz and put it into the Writable Runtime Folder box

Find the Add Library in the library tab and add DAZ to it

This should now work.

And YAY! It worked! Thanks!

• FauvistFauvist Posts: 2,038
    edited December 1969

I can't believe it! I installed DSON in Poser 9 and actually got Genesis to show up in the viewport with no problems! You people are geniuses! Now I have a few question:

How do I buy DAZ content for Genesis that works with DSON and have the installer put it in the correct place for it to work with Poser?

And - I bought a few things already and they are installed in DAZ Studio - which I've never been able to figure out how to use - how do I get them out of DAZ Studio and into the right place in Poser?

When this Genesis figure is loaded in Poser 9, and I morph it into Victoria 4, will the Victoria 4 clothing I already have (and there's a lot of it) fit on the Genesis Victoria 4 - or do I have to buy all new clothing?

Thanks!

• edited December 1969

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Smith Micro\Poser 9\Runtime\libraries\Character\DAZ People\Genesis.py", line 1, in
    import dson.dzdsonimporter
    ImportError: No module named dson.dzdsonimporter

Uh, what does this mean?