3ds Max and Maya

skykiller27skykiller27 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Product Suggestions

Hello there everyone!

I am a newbie to 3D Animation and I am thinking what 3d software is better (in your opinion). The 3ds Max or the Maya? I'm thinking what 3d animator will I learn because basically, I want to learn 3d to create stunning films.

Comments

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

They're both Autodesk products and they've both been used for motion pictures. I'd download a trial version and a beginner tutorial for both and see which interface you like better. Maya seems more popular of late, but I don't know the objective reasons why. Their professional licensing costs are similar.

I use Blender, but that's for modeling and UV. It is very difficult to use for pure 3d filmmaking (it's been done, but generally by large teams of the people who helped build it).

• chikako_8af55a8a68chikako_8af55a8a68 Posts: 83
    edited December 1969

I think no matter how nicely you ask, neither will end up in here. I just attended Autodesk's roadshow, and there were some very nice demos of both MAX and Maya.

I believe Maya is still the favorite for film, of the two. MAX has a very strong presence in game development. Both converge nicely with other Autodesk products.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

chikako said:
    I think no matter how nicely you ask, neither will end up in here.

Wha? We have users of both. Again, usually for modeling and projection texturing, but it's not as if no one here uses them.

• DogzDogz Posts: 896
    edited December 1969

I use Max....and im here :)

• chikako_8af55a8a68chikako_8af55a8a68 Posts: 83
    edited December 1969

chikako said:
    I think no matter how nicely you ask, neither will end up in here.

Wha? We have users of both. Again, usually for modeling and projection texturing, but it's not as if no one here uses them.

Sorry, my mistake - I was just in the Freepository and thought he was asking for a free version.