Anyone have Lightwave? I have a quick favor to ask!

Dream9StudiosDream9Studios Posts: 125
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I'm trying to make an artwork for a friend for the holidays and I downloaded the perfect free 3D model for it. It's a Lightwave model but I can import it into Poser without any problems other than the prop can only be "opened" in Lightwave... and I need it open for this render. It doesn't need to animate, I just need a static open prop.

Could someone with Lightwave help me real quick? The site said it would open and close so I know it can be done but I can't do it on my own. :(

It's a Doctor Who model and the author said this was cool as long as we didn't redistribute the modified prop.

Please help!!

Comments

• Daz Jack TomalinDaz Jack Tomalin Posts: 13,073
    edited November 2012

Sure, fire me an email at jack @ jacktomalin.com (remove the spaces) - about to log off for the evening but will do it first thing in the morning.

Post edited by Daz Jack Tomalin on
  • Dream9StudiosDream9Studios Posts: 125
    edited December 1969

Thank you so much!!! I'm very grateful and will send you an email ASAP. :D

edited December 1969

No problem, all part of the service :)

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Bryce can open some lightwave formatted props, then you can save out as an OBJ. But using LW will make sure all goes well. Just thought I would mention it in case you come across this again. :)

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 95,997
    edited December 1969

If the groups have come into Poser you may be able to use the Spawn Props command to break it up, then adjust the position of the parts that need to be opened. Spawn props is on the tool pane that opens when you select the group Editor tool

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339
    edited November 2012

I'm trying to make an artwork for a friend for the holidays and I downloaded the perfect free 3D model for it. It's a Lightwave model but I can import it into Poser without any problems other than the prop can only be "opened" in Lightwave... and I need it open for this render. It doesn't need to animate, I just need a static open prop.

Could someone with Lightwave help me real quick? The site said it would open and close so I know it can be done but I can't do it on my own. :(

It's a Doctor Who model and the author said this was cool as long as we didn't redistribute the modified prop.

Please help!!

I know Jack's already on the case, but for future reference you can also download a fully-functional, 30-day trial version to work with.

-- Walt Sterdan

Post edited by wsterdan on
    edited December 1969

@Szark
    I don't think I have Bryce though. Is it free now? I'll keep that in mind for the future.

@Richard Haseltine
    The prop imported somewhat okay but the groups did not so I couldn't do that. Thanks though.

@wsterdan
    Trouble is, I wouldn't know what I was doing in it! :)

Just want to say that Jack is AWESOME. The prop is now perfect and he went above and beyond. I am so happy right now and I know the friend whom I'm making these artworks for is going to be thrilled!! :D

I'm now going to the DAZ shop and see what stuff of his is on my wishlist to buy....

edited December 1969

Hey you're welcome :)

Be sure to post the final image too - curious to see how it turns out!

edited December 1969

Hey you're welcome :)

Be sure to post the final image too - curious to see how it turns out!

Will do! I'm working on it now... actually working on two because that props works so well I've just got to use it again!

• greymouser69greymouser69 Posts: 499
    edited December 1969

@Szark
    I don't think I have Bryce though. Is it free now? I'll keep that in mind for the future.

@Lizzie yes bryce is still free for 7.1 pro so grab it while you can, also hexagon is the same so worth grabbing it just in case.

• SupercopeSupercope Posts: 128
    edited December 1969

Jack! You are D Man! That's awesome!

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,860
    edited November 2012

For future reference, the following programs can also convert LWO

Poseray (freeware) - https://sites.google.com/site/poseray/

Deep Explotation - http://www.righthemisphere.com/products/dexp/ - 30 day, fully functional Trial. See my tut here - http://www.mediafire.com/view/?adtf0812j6py43i - for a quick how to. After the 30 days is up you can still open and view models but you cannot export them

Post edited by Mattymanx on
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

Blender has a Lightwave importer, though I have never used it.

http://www.blender.org/download/get-blender/

edited December 1969

Okay, just finished this though I'm waiting on a friend (who's a Whovian) to give me the final okay on it before I give it to the recipient. :)

It's called "The Doctor Vs Godzilla" and the friend it's for is a big fan of both, thus why I came up with this odd idea. I'm making a closeup portrait now with just the Doctor, the screwdriver prop, and IDL lighting for a cool effect and to show off all the details. My friend is going to have a heck of a Xmas/birthday this year! I'll post the portrait artwork once it's finished but I'm still adjusting the IDL settings to get them looking perfect.

Thanks again so much! Neither of these artworks would pass the Whovian test without that open screwdriver! (Both will be printed at 16x20 so every detail counts.)

lzpd9s_doctor-vs-godzilla.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 128K
    edited December 1969

Just to clarify - my original thought was, well Poser can import .lwo's anyway - but it turns out that firstly the model wasn't really 'poser' ready, and needed a tweak here and there. Secondly, the model wasn't set up with any groups, but the 'open' action was infact a LW morph target. So I have a feeling that most apps would have had trouble getting that an exporting that, rather than the static default.

Lizzie - that render turned out pretty cool! Who's feet are those in the background? They don't look too friendly ;)

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited November 2012

Sheesh...that old thing... :cheese:

Yeah, it looks great open...in fact I've got it converted into a prop with an open/close dial. The pivot points of the four 'arms' aren't exactly 'right', so they need a little adjustment to get it to work smoothly.

sonic2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 274K
    sonic3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 306K
    Post edited by mjc1016 on
    edited December 1969

Lizzie - that render turned out pretty cool! Who's feet are those in the background? They don't look too friendly ;)

Thanks! That's supposed to be Godzilla a.k.a. Kaiju the Giant Monster from the store though I'm thinking the Helligator would be more fitting... guess it depends on if I should go with a classic guy in a rubber suit Godzilla or the modern CGI Godzilla. :) I'll have to find a subtle way to ask my friend which one he prefers. lol

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

Yeah, it looks great open...in fact I've got it converted into a prop with an open/close dial. The pivot points of the four 'arms' aren't exactly 'right', so they need a little adjustment to get it to work smoothly.

If you get rid of the 4+ point polys, it will clear those rendering artifacts up :)

edited November 2012

mjc1016 said:

Yeah, it looks great open...in fact I've got it converted into a prop with an open/close dial.

By the looks of it though, ours renders better (no gaps on what I'm guessing is the handle... er... the white enamel part.) Jack did a great job at making it Poser ready by fixing the normals and such. :)

Post edited by Dream9Studios on
    edited December 1969

Thanks! That's supposed to be Godzilla a.k.a. Kaiju the Giant Monster from the store though I'm thinking the Helligator would be more fitting... guess it depends on if I should go with a classic guy in a rubber suit Godzilla or the modern CGI Godzilla. :) I'll have to find a subtle way to ask my friend which one he prefers. lol

I think the 'guy in a suit' is a nice nod to the Dr. Who of old.. with the really dodgy costumes and wobbly sets.

edited December 1969

I think the 'guy in a suit' is a nice nod to the Dr. Who of old.. with the really dodgy costumes and wobbly sets.

Agreed. The old one show is the only version I've seen and it's about the same with old Godzilla movies. I love the classics! I've got the new Doctor Who on my Netflix queue but haven't gotten to it yet. :)

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

If you get rid of the 4+ point polys, it will clear those rendering artifacts up :)

Yeah, the polys/black spots...I didn't notice them until AFTER the render was done, but they are gone, now...sometime I should go and redo it (as I'm using it as my desktop wallpaper).

edited December 1969

Here's the other piece I created with the prop. It took a while to get it rendered and then I lost this thread for a bit. Now I'm off to see what my friend thinks of his new artworks. :D

I found out that one of my other friends is also quite the Whovian so it looks like I may be using this prop quite a few more times because she keeps emailing me more ideas. lol

Thanks again!

lzpd9s_doctor-is-in.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 95K