can't find my content -- new install of DS 4.5 and Genesis Essentials

edited December 1969 in New Users

Hi,

I just downloaded and installed DS 4.5 Pro and Genesis Starter essentials (Win 7-64 bit). I installed them both to non-default locations,

D:\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4 for the program and DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library for the content. I let the Content Management Services go to it's default location, C:\DAZ 3D\Content Management Services. When I open up DS 4.5, the Smart Content pane has no files -- nothing in the Content Database Maintenance menu.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling both the program and the content using the default paths but couldn't because the install program had already picked up my D drive paths and would not show the original default paths. Any suggestions as to how I can hoop up the content with the program? Thanks.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,093
    edited December 1969

Are the files visible in the Content Library pane?

• edited December 1969

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I figured out how to go to preferences and put the path into the Content Directory Manager, so my content is now there in the Content Library and I can put figures in in the scene, but still nothing in the Smart Content Tab. Thanks

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

I have the same directory paths for Daz Studio 4.5.1.6, the program itself and the same for the content as you, however my CMS went to Program Files and the databases went to Program data at default so I am not sure if that makes a difference.

When you installed the content and opened Daz Studio did the metadata setup run?

Have you tried Resetting metadata via the Scene Pane, Options (top right of the scene pane is a small box, click on that to find the Content DB Maintenance command. This will open the Content DB Maintenance window where there is a command to Reset the Metadata.

• edited December 1969

HI Szark,

My apologies, I am a total Noob at Daz Studio and I finally figured out that the Smart Content pane is for content and files I create, not for stock content (that's in the library). Once I had saved a file, it appeared in the Smart Content pane. Sorry for the mixup and thanks for your help.

No idea what metadata setup is or whether it ran -- hope so. Thanks again.

Zaffer

edited November 2012

Metadata is information that links meshes (geometry) with materials (textures), poses and accessories without the need to go looking for them. Example you load a piece of clothing, select it and the textures should show up in the smart content pane automatically. Good when it works. :)

So you should if all goes well have most of the default content showing up in Smart Content. The content Library is for older content that does not have metatdata made yet. This used to be the standard before DS4/4.5.

So if you don't see the default Genesis (Figure), Hair and Clothing etc in Smart Content then there is something going wrong.

This is how you reset the metadata (no guarantee it will work) Open the Content Library Pane (not SMART CONTENT) and follow the images.

ResetDatabaseNew.jpg
    523 x 1009 - 132K
    ResetDatabaseNew1.jpg
    285 x 265 - 64K
    Post edited by Szark on
  • edited December 1969

Hi Szark,

Thanks for your detailed reply, it worked!

Zaffer

edited December 1969

Sweet and each time you install newer made content or older content with metadata then make sure Daz Studio is closed ( just covering all bases :) ) first, Then when you restart Daz Studio you should be greeted with a Metadata Processing Window > Click Accept (I think it is) and let it do its thing of sorting the metadata. The Window will then close letting you use Daz Studio. If you don't get this then it maybe turned off......if it happens then pop back and we will help further.