Menus all gone!

edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Something wrong with my Daz (Mac version). I had version 4. Opened it this morning. The file browser was weird. It would show me libraries from iTunes and Garage Band instead of a normal file browser. I deleted the prefs, restarted Daz. Didn't change anything. I uninstalled it using the uninstaller, downloaded version 4.5. Installed it and it's worst. Now all I have in the menus are File (and nothing happens when I click on it), Window and help. I can't open, save, export or anything. Hotkeys don't work either.

Any idea?

Cheers,

Robert

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 95,997
    edited December 1969

Try going to your application settings folder (I'm not sure where that is on a Mac) and then to \DAZ 3d\Studio 4. Remove the menus.dsx file and launch DS - it should then rebuild the menu structure.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Full specs, especially OS version and do you know if there have been an OS updates, lately?

• edited December 1969

Os 10.8.2 dual i7 macBook pro 8 gig ram. No recent updates.

I could only find Default Advanced.dsx and Default Simple.dsx un the Menus subfolder. No such thing as menus.dsx. I tried to move them out of the folder. Didn't do anything, Didn't recreate the file.

edited December 1969

Not in the Menus folder, in the Studio 4 folder. The ones in the Menus folder should be restored, as they are (I think) used to rebuild the menus if the current state (the menus.dsx file) is removed.

• edited December 1969

There's no such file (menus.dsx) on the Mac version. They only "menus" folder is in /Applications/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4 64-bit/resources/menus and in there are the two files I previously wrote about.

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

You'll have to use the go to folder feature in Finder or use a terminal window, but you'll find the DAZ Studio preferences at /Users//Library/Application Support/DAZ 3D/Studio4/

• edited December 1969

Still no menus folder except in ShaderMixer and it's empty.

See attachment.

Screen_Shot_2012-11-07_at_6.55_.07_PM_.jpg
    373 x 899 - 102K
    edited December 1969

Doesn't Mt Lion 'hide' some folders from Finder?

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

riouxr said:
    Still no menus folder except in ShaderMixer and it's empty.

See attachment.

I definitely see them there on my install from the command line.
  • edited December 1969

Mt Lion only hides the library in the user's folder but I go access to it from the shell of from the finder using Shift-Apple-G command.

I already tired to uninstall and reinstall the software. I don't know what else I can try.

edited December 1969

As I said earlier it isn't a folder it's a file called menus.dsx.

• edited December 1969

There's no such file anywhere. Not in the application support folder, not in the preferences, not in the Application/Daz folder. I searched system wide. This file doesn't exists.

edited December 1969

Create a blank text file, name it menus.dsx and put it in the location Richard first mentioned and restart Studio.

• edited December 1969

Hummm... I did. Started Daz. Didn't work. Quit Daz and the file I created disappeared! I tried it twice just to make sure.

edited November 2012

If you go to the application folder there should be a file named RestoreDefaults - try double-clicking on that. Though I do wonder if there's a permissions issue.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited December 1969

riouxr said:
    Hummm... I did. Started Daz. Didn't work. Quit Daz and the file I created disappeared! I tried it twice just to make sure.

If you go to the application folder there should be a file named RestoreDefaults - try double-clicking on that. Though I do wonder if there's a permissions issue.

With the created file disappearing after closing down...I'd say, yeah, there's probably a good chance of it.

• edited December 1969

No such file as RestoreDefaults. Maybe it's a windows thing because it's not on the Mac.

edited December 1969

riouxr said:
    No such file as RestoreDefaults. Maybe it's a windows thing because it's not on the Mac.

It should be there, as an OS independent method of resetting to 'factory defaults'.

It's really sounding like there is a major permissions problem here...

• ChrystiChrysti Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

I was having trouble with DS4 loading SecondLife avatar files, so I upgraded to 4.5. Downloaded and installed both 4.5 and the genesis essentials.

Now I have the same problem as the OP - no usable menus, and no keyboard options from them. I'm also on Mac, but I'm still running OS 10.5.8.
    I have the Studio, File, Window and Help menus, but File is empty, with no dropdown. So I can quit, or look up help. That's it.

I've reinstalled twice, with no difference.

Not only that, but DS4.5 can't find My Library files (installed where the installer wanted them ), won't load a figure directly from the My Library files, If I move the library folder out of documents, I can load a figure made of blocks, but it crashes almost instantly after I try to move a joint.

So, now instead of a DAZ Studio with a few minor problems, I have no working program at all. :-/

Chrys

edited December 1969

Chrysti said:
    I was having trouble with DS4 loading SecondLife avatar files, so I upgraded to 4.5. Downloaded and installed both 4.5 and the genesis essentials.

Now I have the same problem as the OP - no usable menus, and no keyboard options from them. I'm also on Mac, but I'm still running OS 10.5.8.
    I have the Studio, File, Window and Help menus, but File is empty, with no dropdown. So I can quit, or look up help. That's it.

I've reinstalled twice, with no difference.

Not only that, but DS4.5 can't find My Library files (installed where the installer wanted them ), won't load a figure directly from the My Library files, If I move the library folder out of documents, I can load a figure made of blocks, but it crashes almost instantly after I try to move a joint.

So, now instead of a DAZ Studio with a few minor problems, I have no working program at all. :-/

Chrys

What does your log file say...if it can't load certain plugins, then you won't have anything usable...including content.

• peppytheclownpeppytheclown Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

Hello,

Was the menu issue ever resolved?

I'm having the same problem under 10.6.8.

Thanks,