About the gen maps for Thomas and Stefen, in context with Caleb

nowefgnowefg Posts: 557
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hi Phoenix1966,

I started with your products with Thomas and Livia; both very realistic, and great “personality.” Based on that positive experience, I bought Stefen, another great ‘lived-in” character.

Both Thomas and Stefen, though, in their M4 versions have a peculiarity with their gen maps that is distracting me from future purchases of your art.

The issue is that the gen maps show up in the viewport as transparencies. Though they render well enough as complete human figures in 3-Delight, in the OpenGL viewport, you can see the body and scenery through the body part, which is distracting, and doesn’t happen with any other M4/M5 figure/character I have.

Also, though Thomas does have a Genesis gen map, Stefen doesn’t, which does something to the M4 and Genesis description that I don’t much care for. Like “For M4 and, partly, for Genesis.”

If the character is for both, and the M4 has a gen map, then Genesis gen maps are not a “bonus;” they are a standard feature, which should be included, or mentioned explicitly as not included.

I can second all the very positive appreciations others are mentioning about your art products, and, you are my first “look” among Daz venders for new figures. Your work is that unique, that rich.

Caleb looks just as interesting as the figures I now have, but the gen map issue has me stalled.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,131
    edited December 1969

Any transmapped surface is likely to to give the odd preview, and the M4 genitals use transparency to make sure they blend smoothly with the base (the Genesis genitals use GeoGrafting, which avoids the need for this). It isn't something that content creators can avoid.

• nowefgnowefg Posts: 557
    edited December 1969

Thanks, Richard,

I'm new enough at this that trans-mapped is a new term for me,

but it is clear that M4, the base figure, has a gen map that previews as a solid, 3-dimansional object, exactly as it renders. As solid as the Genesis anatomy figure.

It isn't transparent, so I don't really follow the logic that other M4 content, mapping the same zone, has to be transparent or preview as transparent.

The base line, for me, is M4. That informs my understanding of what the standard for M4 products is.

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

nowefg said:
    Thanks, Richard,

I'm new enough at this that trans-mapped is a new term for me,

but it is clear that M4, the base figure, has a gen map that previews as a solid, 3-dimansional object, exactly as it renders. As solid as the Genesis anatomy figure.

It isn't transparent, so I don't really follow the logic that other M4 content, mapping the same zone, has to be transparent or preview as transparent.

The base line, for me, is M4. That informs my understanding of what the standard for M4 products is.

Actually this is pretty common in M4 gens textures that use transmaps to simulate pubic hair or trim parts of the gens down for a better looking fit against M4. The bottom line is that it renders as normal.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

I don't think that the 'standard' M4 gens load uses a transmap...as there isn't one for the standard textures.

So, if one isn't being used, your argument kind of falls apart, because you are now comparing apples to oranges.

Also, considering that the M5 gens are an 'optional' item and not available to the 'base' M5, the one about a missing M5 gen texture being a 'for Genesis' killer is a bit shaky.